PDA

View Full Version : Advice on CosmosS for better cooling

spoof
12-28-2008, 12:08 AM
So, i'm still new at water cooling, so i need some advice.

I have my rig mounted like this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3371397&postcount=78 (this is mine :P)
With fan mounted on top and with all part on there place - side panel (without side fan) and top panel over the fans i have like 70C under load. Removing the side panel and the top panel there si 15C difference and i go to 55C (on all cores). So, what should i do to make the things better, because i don't want to keep my case open.

Thanks!

pirateghost
12-28-2008, 12:26 AM
my first guess would be that the high temps are being caused by the spaghetti mess in your case.

try to clean up the wire mess and see if that will help. beyond that, perhaps you need better fans?

SNiiPE_DoGG
12-28-2008, 12:30 AM
dump those crappy noiseblocker fans ASAP.

also turn the fans around so they blow down, across the rad. this will help temps a bit at the very least.

for radiator performance either go with some petra's yate loons of your choice of speed or if you prefer, some zalman ZM-F3's which are the best performing rad fans of the medium speed 25mm variety.

Lastly: Remount the CPU block and make sure you are using only a bit of thermal paste (MX-2 is my preference) in the center of the processor.

spoof
12-28-2008, 04:21 AM
my first guess would be that the high temps are being caused by the spaghetti mess in your case.

try to clean up the wire mess and see if that will help. beyond that, perhaps you need better fans?

I'll do this ASAP, but i think, that in this particular case, i'm not sure that this will make difference.

dump those crappy noiseblocker fans ASAP.

also turn the fans around so they blow down, across the rad. this will help temps a bit at the very least.

for radiator performance either go with some petra's yate loons of your choice of speed or if you prefer, some zalman ZM-F3's which are the best performing rad fans of the medium speed 25mm variety.

Lastly: Remount the CPU block and make sure you are using only a bit of thermal paste (MX-2 is my preference) in the center of the processor.

I'll change the fans (if it matters, NB are NB-BlackSilentFan XL2 Rev). This with the thermal paste is the other thing, i'm pretty sure, that i've put too much.

About this with fans blowing up-side-down, i don't want the hor are back in the case, video card generates enought. Maybe when i change the place of the reservoir i'll put side fan back, pulling the air outside, than i'll change the direction of the rad fans.

Jah
12-28-2008, 06:32 AM
I would say that the 15C diff between open/closed case is from taking warm air in the case (closed case) and getting fresh ambient temperature air when the case is open. The cooling capacity of your rads are strongly affected by the temperature of the air coming in to the rad, i.e. the ambient temperature perceived by the rad.

Given the huge mesh side on the Cossmos S I would suggest changing the fans to blow air in to the case and just let it escape through the mesh side.

I did a small test for my self.

Sorry don't have the exact numbers or any photos available, as I'm on vacation.

I have a setup with a 120.3 rad mounted externally 2 of the fans are taking air from the outside and one of the fans are taking air from inside the case. I measured the temperature of the air going in to the fan, from the case, and the temperature of the air going out of the radiator, above the fan suckling air from the case.

To my horror :shocked: the air going out of the rad was actually cooler then the air going in to the rad, a rise of a few degrees. In other words I was using the radiator to cool the air exiting the case.

Conclusion:

given the option don't use heated air from the case to cool your radiator :yepp:

Chruschef
12-28-2008, 08:25 AM
your fans on your radiator, should be pushing air into the case. Use the other fans to push air out of the case. The giant fan on the side of the case, does a good job cooling the mobo, so I suggest other than the radiator fans, the rest of the fans should point out of the case.

i'd also recommend trying to run the cables behind the mobo tray, you can use some stand-offs to accomplish this easily.

if you could, place the res higher up in your case somewhere, and then mount your pump ontop of the harddrive bay.

spoof
12-28-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm extremely thankful for all the advices so far. I'm definitely gonna use most of them.
Actually, the cables are behind the mobo tray, but obviously i didn't do it right, but i'll fix this soon.

Jah, have a good vacantion! (;

SNiiPE_DoGG
12-28-2008, 09:22 AM
just another thing, positive air pressure inside the case is preferable in my opinion not just because of the cooling benefits it gives with bringing fresh air through radiators but also because cases with positive pressure gather dust much slower. I tested the difference on my brothers computer which had been using negative pressure and ware always filling up with dust and pet stuff from the carpet in his computer room. I changed to positive pressure arrangement and 3 months later I come back from college and look in his machine to find only a small thin coating of dust on the pcb of the video card and a bit on the hard drives!

Astratuner
12-29-2008, 12:40 PM
your fans on your radiator, should be pushing air into the case. Use the other fans to push air out of the case. The giant fan on the side of the case, does a good job cooling the mobo, so I suggest other than the radiator fans, the rest of the fans should point out of the case.

i'd also recommend trying to run the cables behind the mobo tray, you can use some stand-offs to accomplish this easily.

if you could, place the res higher up in your case somewhere, and then mount your pump ontop of the harddrive bay.

That's wierd to belive, you'll suck all the dust in??

A rad placed on top... i always thought it was better to blow the hot air above rather then sucking it into the case?

And the front fan ( hd rack ) exhaust to? Sound kinda unlogical to me?:shrug:

What is better now?

spoof
12-29-2008, 02:39 PM
I turned the fans, putt side panel, rear fan to blow the hor air out and top panel on place and the reseult - ~10-13C below. If i cut the net between the rad and the fans there it will be better, but i don't want to lose my guaranty. Tomorrow maybe i'll get ZM-F3's and try with tnem.
I have another q: Tygon R3603 12,7/9,5mm and
Technical data:
Thread: G1/4
Overall length: 27mm
Hose inner diameter: 11 to 13mm
Inner diameter of connector: 9,9mm
Thread length: 8mm

Is this tubing for this fitting?

coolmiester
12-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Cut the mesh spoof and you will see much better airflow and lower noise.......................why would you need warranty on a case anyway????

Astratuner
12-29-2008, 05:04 PM
I turned the fans, putt side panel, rear fan to blow the hor air out and top panel on place and the reseult - ~10-13C below. If i cut the net between the rad and the fans there it will be better, but i don't want to lose my guaranty. Tomorrow maybe i'll get ZM-F3's and try with tnem.
I have another q: Tygon R3603 12,7/9,5mm and

Is this tubing for this fitting?

Spoof what fans did you turned?

The 3 on top of the case? From blowing hot air out to sucking fresh air in?

Like that?

SNiiPE_DoGG
12-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Spoof what fans did you turned?

The 3 on top of the case? From blowing hot air out to sucking fresh air in?

Like that?

yes thats what we said he should do. I think he says it helped a lot, but his post isn't super clear.

armeniandave
12-29-2008, 05:16 PM
I disagree with the fans on the top blowing in.
The problem I see is you don't have enough air coming in.
You need to put the bottom fan back in and put the pump
on top of it or somewhere else.
Here is a link to a build I did for my friend: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199617

Notice that it is neat and all the fans are in place.
The top fans are blowing out, not in.
Hot air rises and the top should go out.
I also have a Cosmos and my fans on top go out
and my temps are very good.
On mine I modded a 250mm fan on the side of the case
for extra cooling even though it wasn't really needed.

Hope this helps.

SNiiPE_DoGG
12-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Here is a link to a build I did for my friend: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199617

Hope this helps.

dave you are wrong here, hot air goes where you blow it not where it wants to ;)

yes convection and rising heat exists in a stagnant system, but in a closed box when air flows a direction the heat goes with it all the way

armeniandave
12-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Snipe I have to respectfuly disagree with you.

I tried the fan in on my P180 and also my Cosmos and as long as you have good airflow in then the top fans blowing out gave me the better Temps.

I guess each to his own.

SNiiPE_DoGG
12-29-2008, 07:42 PM
would you like me to make a thermodynamic CAD model? (I can't now but give me a few weeks to get back to school....)

how can you argue that the small power of less dense air rising over more dense air (the essence of convection) overpowers the 180-200 cfm pushing against it from a triple radiator?

jasonelmore
12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Here's what i did. I put the Swiftech Pump on top of the hard Drive cage. I attached the res through one of the holes on the bottom 120mm fan spot. Good god man! Run some cable management. That case has all kinds of room on the other side of that puppy. Especially towards the front of the case. It's almost 2 inche's deep. That's where i have all my molex wires and such. There's no excuse for that clutter. Especially with a modular PSU. I mounted my Rad up top and have 3 120mm yate loons on top and two stock swiftech fans on the bottom of the rad pushing the air upwards.

My biggest advice is to mount your pump on top of the hard drive cage. And move that res somewhere else like the bottom 120mm fan spot towards the front of the case.

zanzabar
12-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Snipe I have to respectfuly disagree with you.

I tried the fan in on my P180 and also my Cosmos and as long as you have good airflow in then the top fans blowing out gave me the better Temps.

I guess each to his own.

when u have alow flow heat cant move up since there you are pressurizing the air by forcing it down so it will move out to a less pressurized area

with the p180 u would be killing the exhaust and depending on your configuration and were your rad is it could be getting hot air into the rad. u want the coldest air on the rad and the coldest air is outside the case

hchristian
12-29-2008, 07:53 PM
I am building a similar system with a Cosmos Black Label.

I'm facing the same dilemma here, air blowing in from the top or blowing out.

I don't know if either setup is better, so I bought a Bitspower temp sensor and planning to plug it in the reservoir and compare temps with both setup.

Keeping all other variables intact, is measuring the water temperature a good indicator of performance?

hchristian
12-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Btw Dave, that UN Designs bracket for the D5 pump is not working out too well for the vanilla Cosmos case.

When the D5 is mounted, the back rubs against the wall of the HD cage panel. I had to Dremel the mounting hole a little bit.

Chruschef
12-29-2008, 08:00 PM
That's wierd to belive, you'll suck all the dust in??

A rad placed on top... i always thought it was better to blow the hot air above rather then sucking it into the case?

And the front fan ( hd rack ) exhaust to? Sound kinda unlogical to me?:shrug:

What is better now?

Your obviously assuming the hot air rises rule, always applies. This is true, when air is stagnant. A case is a closed environment, where you control where the air goes. Because your now controlling this closed environment, the air in the case will go ever you push it.

For temps, its best to have the coldest air flow through your radiators, so obviously those fans should push air into the case. If you've then got three fans pushing air into the case, you should probably use the other 3 fans pushing air out of the case, therefore you would reverse the HD fan.

armeniandave
12-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Snipe look don't take it personally like I'm attacking your theory or anything it's just that I specifically tried putting the fans blowing in and the motherboard temps were much higher and not acceptable to me.
There have been many threads on this subject and when I didn't know any
better I also tried the fans blowing in. My personal results were that the
blowing out worked better.
The thing is you have to have adequate airflow in.
If you want to make a model that's fine and I think
everyone would benefit from seeing them.
I am familiar with thermodynamics as I work
with turbine engines for a living.

SNiiPE_DoGG
12-29-2008, 08:04 PM
well now you make it more interesting by providing more details: what temps were higher with fans blowing in? I'd put money on the temps of the components in the water loop were cooler but you refer to the motherboard temp? is this temp the motherboard temp in the bios?

armeniandave
12-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Btw Dave, that UN Designs bracket for the D5 pump is not working out too well for the vanilla Cosmos case.

When the D5 is mounted, the back rubs against the wall of the HD cage panel. I had to Dremel the mounting hole a little bit.

You know you can disagree with me and that's fine but do not try and tell me my brackets do not work on the Cosmos!
I have the Cosmos and I have the D5 mounted to the hard drive cage and NO you do not need to dremel anything to make it work. I have seen many people use my brackets on the Cosmos and nobody has had to use a dremel except you??
I am done with this thread, I try to simply put out my opinion and have a intelligent discussion and instead people take it ultra personal and then go way off subject and start to attack my products. hchristian if it doesn't work send it back, it would be the first return in over 1000 brackets sold.

SNiiPE_DoGG
12-29-2008, 08:21 PM
You know you can disagree with me and that's fine but do not try and tell me my brackets do not work on the Cosmos!
I have the Cosmos and I have the D5 mounted to the hard drive cage and NO you do not need to dremel anything to make it work. I have seen many people use my brackets on the Cosmos and nobody has had to use a dremel except you??
I am done with this thread, I try to simply put out my opinion and have a intelligent discussion and instead people take it ultra personal and then go way off subject and start to attack my products. hchristian if it doesn't work send it back, it would be the first return in over 1000 brackets sold.

when did I take it personal? I think you are reading too much into my writing style.....

I would like for us to discuss the problem if you would clarify to me the question I asked in my previous post. :up:

zanzabar
12-29-2008, 08:22 PM
since when do thermodynamics of air have to do with forced air flow? its fluid dynamics

and the p180 with top fans in would have a huge amount of high pressure with nowhere to go, were the CM cases have mesh so they can use negative or positive pressure

jasonelmore
12-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Sniper dog has a opinion about everything. And it's probably not agreeing with yours.

SNiiPE_DoGG
12-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Sniper dog has a opinion about everything. And it's probably not agreeing with yours.

I agree with fluid dynamics and achieving the highest delta between air and water temps :fact:

jasonelmore
12-29-2008, 08:56 PM
I agree with fluid dynamics and achieving the highest delta between air and water temps :fact:

Your the man Snipe:up:

SNiiPE_DoGG
12-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Your the man Snipe:up:

thanks lol :D:up:

Chruschef
12-29-2008, 09:03 PM
offtopic: i think hchristian just mounted his bracket wrong..

hchristian post pics of your setup, and where you dremeled this hole(an MS paint shop with circles around the problems would be nice) so we can compare with how its intended to be installed as per dave's post/picture.

SNiiPE_DoGG
12-29-2008, 09:04 PM
offtopic: i think hchristian just mounted his bracket wrong..

yeah probs, dave please don't get so heated about this :) were all friendly here

hchristian
12-29-2008, 10:19 PM

Dude don't take it the wrong way. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it.

In my case the D5 back is not perpendicular to the 120mm bracket trus causing it to hit the panel.

I will post a picture of what I'm talking about later. The bracket looks different to mine too, it's more like the red one you posted before.

hchristian
12-29-2008, 10:23 PM
And I am still interested in discussing if the idea I had earlier is valid.

That is :

Keep the whole setup intact, only change the fan's blowing direction

Install a temperature probe in the reservoir

Compare the water temperature

Once again Dave, I wasn't trying to attack you, maybe I did install it wrong..will post pics

I feel so bad :(

Chruschef
12-29-2008, 11:09 PM
I am building a similar system with a Cosmos Black Label

this is not the same as a Cosmos S, or a normal cosmos case. thats where your problem is coming from.

zanzabar
12-29-2008, 11:39 PM
the black one can do a 2x140mm rad without modding and i would have it blowing in

hchristian
12-29-2008, 11:45 PM
this is not the same as a Cosmos S, or a normal cosmos case. thats where your problem is coming from.

I was in a hurry yesterday, didn't compare if the location is exactly the same as the vanilla Cosmos.

However, I am using 2 UN mounts, the first one connected to the 120 mm fan mount and the second mount on top of the first mount.

hchristian
12-29-2008, 11:49 PM
the black one can do a 2x140mm rad without modding and i would have it blowing in

The vanilla Cosmos can do that too. It has built in 120 mm and 140 mm.

The spacing however, is a concern.

The 120 mm fan spacing is 40 mm, unlike the regular 15 mm most rads have

The 140 mm fan spacing is 20 mm, you can fit a 2 x 140 mm HWlabs rad fine

spoof
12-30-2008, 01:45 AM
yes thats what we said he should do. I think he says it helped a lot, but his post isn't super clear.

I'm sorry, my english isn't that good and i have this habit to say everythink so complicated.

So, before the tops fans use to suck the hot air from the case. Now they are blowing the air INTO the case (or sucking it from outside). In this case, the temperaturs are 10-13C lower than before.

hchristian
12-30-2008, 06:34 AM
I'm sorry, my english isn't that good and i have this habit to say everythink so complicated.

So, before the tops fans use to suck the hot air from the case. Now they are blowing the air INTO the case (or sucking it from outside). In this case, the temperaturs are 10-13C lower than before.

What temperatures are you talking about that is 10 - 13C lower? (cpu? coolant?)

That is an awesome improvement!

Sorry to hijack your post but I wanted to show some pics of the UN design brackets :p:

The Cosmos Vanilla Fan Mount (bottom) :

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/3150793548_ae1f428b3b_b.jpg

The Cosmos Black Label Fan Mount (bottom) :

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/3150793554_0b5e81c49d_b.jpg

Comparing the Cosmos Vanilla and Cosmos Black Label :

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3116/3150793562_04a362a4c5_b.jpg

D5 Pump Mounted On UN Designs Mount :

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3211/3150793564_1081fe780b_b.jpg

D5 Mounted :

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/3150793568_ffd1ed6f63_b.jpg

UN Designs Mount Holes :

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3249/3150793570_40c658490d_b.jpg

Chruschef
12-30-2008, 07:17 AM
so it does look like you've got it mounted wrong
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3536320&postcount=25
thats how its supposed to be mounted.

spoof
12-30-2008, 08:10 AM
What temperatures are you talking about that is 10 - 13C lower? (cpu? coolant?)

This is cores temperature. Monitored with Real Temp 2.70. Maybe i'll lower it more with getting ZM-F3, changing the thermal paste and rearranging the case.

Astratuner
12-30-2008, 10:03 AM

my 0.02$ to

Hope this helps.

dave you are wrong here, hot air goes where you blow it not where it wants to ;)

yes convection and rising heat exists in a stagnant system, but in a closed box when air flows a direction the heat goes with it all the way

Here's what i did. I put the Swiftech Pump on top of the hard Drive cage. I attached the res through one of the holes on the bottom 120mm fan spot. Good god man! Run some cable management. That case has all kinds of room on the other side of that puppy. Especially towards the front of the case. It's almost 2 inche's deep. That's where i have all my molex wires and such. There's no excuse for that clutter. Especially with a modular PSU. I mounted my Rad up top and have 3 120mm yate loons on top and two stock swiftech fans on the bottom of the rad pushing the air upwards.

My biggest advice is to mount your pump on top of the hard drive cage. And move that res somewhere else like the bottom 120mm fan spot towards the front of the case.

Your obviously assuming the hot air rises rule, always applies. This is true, when air is stagnant. A case is a closed environment, where you control where the air goes. Because your now controlling this closed environment, the air in the case will go ever you push it.

For temps, its best to have the coldest air flow through your radiators, so obviously those fans should push air into the case. If you've then got three fans pushing air into the case, you should probably use the other 3 fans pushing air out of the case, therefore you would reverse the HD fan.

For the rest of you it seems that the opions aren't going in 1 way.

Now i know hot air goes up, but i also know from Vapor that the rads should have the coldest air possble.

Ok let's say we let the top 3 fans suck air in.

And the fan on the rear blow out, 2 I buy an extra hhd cage with fan and reverse that. That makes 2 fans in the front blowing air out.

But in the cosmos s you alos have a bottom fan. Wich would be ideal to suck air in = closest to the floor = coldest air.

But then you have 4 fans in and 3 fans out. So that's create over or underpressure sorry I forget the right one. But the meaning I still know and that's you'll suck in alot of dust.

Hard nut to crack it seems...

Also if you have a pump mounted or a reservoir in front of any fan ( lets say the bottom one or hhd one ) then it interrupts the air flow not?

Chruschef
12-30-2008, 10:27 AM
I was referring to the fan already on the hard drive bracket, on a Cosmos S case. I also do not believe the temperature difference of the air is that big, it would be different it you were comparing the ceiling to the floor, but not by a huge delta. So we use the top fans to push air through the rad into the case, and expel the heat through the other fans. It is much more important to cool the CPU and components with waterblocks, than the ambient case temperature. Less pressure in a case gives you lower temps, higher pressure gets rid of dust(its up to you what you want).

SNiiPE_DoGG
12-30-2008, 10:42 AM
@hchristian

cant you just move a set of holes forward on the z-bracket part???

Astratuner
12-30-2008, 01:25 PM
I was referring to the fan already on the hard drive bracket, on a Cosmos S case. I also do not believe the temperature difference of the air is that big, it would be different it you were comparing the ceiling to the floor, but not by a huge delta. So we use the top fans to push air through the rad into the case, and expel the heat through the other fans. It is much more important to cool the CPU and components with waterblocks, than the ambient case temperature. Less pressure in a case gives you lower temps, higher pressure gets rid of dust(its up to you what you want).

And it you place dust filters? Then that would hamper the airflow right?

Can you explain some sort of scematic here of the rear fan should be...

the top fans shoud .... air in/out.

Cause you can let the front suck in, rear air out, or all fans in and the top 3 out etc... There are alot of possibilities here.

Chruschef
12-30-2008, 01:53 PM
enjoy..

for dust I just use CO2 cans, i have a BUNCH lying around.

no i don't get high off'm...:rofl:

hchristian
12-30-2008, 03:32 PM
@hchristian

cant you just move a set of holes forward on the z-bracket part???

That's what I'm planning, but then I need to dremmel the left hole cause it's not going the whole way through

so it does look like you've got it mounted wrong
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3536320&postcount=25
thats how its supposed to be mounted.

Here armiendave mounted it the same way I did on a Cosmos S :
(on the Cosmos S it works fine because there is no HD cage)

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq28/absoluteczech4/DSC_0050.jpg

Compared to the pic he posted :

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91757&stc=1&d=1230610904

Chruschef
12-30-2008, 04:23 PM
okay, so are you doing it wrong. your attempting to mount it to a fan slot, instead of against the hard drive bay.

You could also rotate the pump 180 degrees, and have the inlet on the top, and the outlet parallel to the bottom of the case pointing to the rear.

try mounting your bracket to the holes circled in white. you could even go out and just get velcro, and velcro it to the wall.

hchristian
12-30-2008, 06:17 PM
okay, so are you doing it wrong. your attempting to mount it to a fan slot, instead of against the hard drive bay.

You could also rotate the pump 180 degrees, and have the inlet on the top, and the outlet parallel to the bottom of the case pointing to the rear.

try mounting your bracket to the holes circled in white. you could even go out and just get velcro, and velcro it to the wall.

No way I was doing it wrong. Dave mounted it to the fan slot. The UN bracket is a 2 piece, one attached to the fan slot and another on top of it.

If I was mounting it against the hard drive bay, I woulnd't bother to buy the UN bracket at all. The D5 pump came with a base plate that has 2 holes in it I can use it to mount vertically.

So where is Dave anyway? He really had it with this thread? :confused:

armeniandave
12-30-2008, 06:34 PM
hchristian I am done with this thread but I will answer your concern.

There are literally thousands of cases out there and none of them are the same. In your case you probably shouldn't use the Z-Bracket but instead mount it to the hard drive cage like I did. You could use the stock bracket but it wouldn't work as good as the Absolute would.
There is no way that just because you see something in another case that it will work exactly the same in your case. That would be impossible.

This thread was about advice on cooling and I will not hijack it and steer it off target any longer. That is why I am done with this thread. I have said what I am going to say and what my personal observations have been and I'm done.

Nothing personal against you hchristian but this is spoofs thread so lets give it back to him.

Astratuner
12-30-2008, 06:37 PM
enjoy..

for dust I just use CO2 cans, i have a BUNCH lying around.

no i don't get high off'm...:rofl:

Aha I c it clealy now.

CO2 cans they cost practically nothing so that's no issue.

The one thing I'm asking myself is the bottom fan should't it be sucking fresh ( most lower part = know as the colder parts :p:) air in?

And instead buy a 2nd HD cage? Is that alot of work to switch the hd fan around?

Thanks!

Chruschef
12-30-2008, 07:10 PM
lower pressure in the case, will produce lower temps than sucking in colder air; the delta between the air above the case and the air at the bottom of the case isn't that great.

Switching around the fan isn't so difficult that it doesn't warrant spending some 30-50$USD on a new HD bay entirely...

Astratuner
12-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Chruschef i c,

but as shown on your picture you made for me :D The top 3 fans will have a dead spot on the radiator right?

Now there's one thing i've never seen on a cosmos s and that is the use of ( a ) shroud(s).

Is that because you can't use them with this case due to spacing issue's or what?

tks!

Chruschef
12-31-2008, 07:50 PM
depends on how big you want your shrouds, and how big your radiator is...

if your stubborn enough i'm sure you could fit it in there somehow.. :up:

Astratuner
01-01-2009, 09:47 AM
depends on how big you want your shrouds, and how big your radiator is...

if your stubborn enough i'm sure you could fit it in there somehow.. :up:

haha

let's say a feser 360 rad + their shrouds? Will it fit? :shrug:

Chruschef
01-01-2009, 10:19 AM
haven't measured. probably not.

Astratuner
01-01-2009, 11:02 AM
that's why i haven't seen any i guess :D

spoof
01-18-2009, 04:14 AM
When using zip ties instead of clamps, how are you removing them without damaging the tubing?

Are alphacool tubing any good? I'm using just stock tubes from local shop and i whan to change them, but at this moment i can't take tygon, so is alphacool tubing enough or i better stay away from them?

spoof
03-03-2009, 08:21 AM
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8601/03032009026.th.jpg (http://img3.imageshack.us/my.php?image=03032009026.jpg)

Is this too kink or i can use it like this? If a use longer tube the middle point (highest point of the tube) will be more kinked. (i hope you understand men, no sure if "kink" is the best word, but you guys use it here a lot)

Chruschef
03-03-2009, 08:52 AM
any kinking will cause problems, creates turbulence(not to be confused with pressure) in the loop... i can't see the image cuz of webfiltering :(, but anti-kink coils are nice, or some 45's or 90's can fix kinking... or even just rerouting your tubing.

spoof
03-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Try this - http://i44.tinypic.com/33oi2hx.jpg

Ok, i really need help ot this, because i have a sort of a deadline (:

ewitte
03-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Will the design on post 48 help with the CPU getting hammered from GTX 295 heat?

ILikeCosmosS
03-04-2009, 05:40 PM
shrouds wont fit but i can tell you this
if you want to make sure you dampen the vibration use the molding petras sells and cut the fan grill's out from the top for better airflow+ dampening

gabe
03-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Rule: There is ALWAYS a higher temperature inside an enclosed case, no matter how good the ventilation is than there is outside of the case

It results that:

1/ bringing fresh outside air to the radiator will ALWAYS yield superior cooling.
2/ and in this configuration dust will ALWAYS accumulate at the radiator inlet (and sip thru into the PC), quickly degrading performance and necessitating frequent maintenance (hard to clean unless you use compressed air)
3/ and hot air from the radiator will add thermal load to all components inside the case

A compromise is to:
1/ work the overall case ventilation so that Delta T between inside and outside is as low as possible. A good goal is 2 to 3C
2/ if so, using the air from inside the case to cool the radiator (fans blowing out) is acceptable as it yields good (but not maximum) performance, reduces the heat load inside the case, and eliminates the dust issue (providing the case has filters)

In my cosmos S, I have what I believe is an optimal compromise: an MCR220 Res in front with fans sucking fresh air from the outside, AND an MCR320 up top, with the fans blowing out (therefore using inside computer air), and I use the giant side panel fan.

spoof
03-17-2009, 06:33 AM
So, i have a little problem - i place MCW30 and everything is up and running -
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6789/17032009680.th.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=17032009680.jpg)

The problem is, that i have higher temps than before. And i mean around 7C. I know, that 1.57v generates a lot of heat, but is this normal. I did cut the mesh between the fans and the rad, expecting to achieve lower temps, but nothing like this. Before ~33C idle, now ~40C.

SNiiPE_DoGG
03-17-2009, 08:26 AM
your saying you increased your voltage or has it always been at 1.57?

spoof
03-17-2009, 10:10 AM
your saying you increased your voltage or has it always been at 1.57?

NB voltage was always at 1.57v, now the chipset is just in the loop. Before it was air cooled and CPU was the only WB in the loop.

Longbow
03-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Hope you guys dont mind if I just add my question here.

I also bought a Cosmos S but the only one available here is the one with a window side panel. It doesnt come with the huge fan. I'll be installing a MCR-220(295 gtx) in front and a MCR-320(core I7) up top. All with medium yates.

This is the layout I have come up so far:
http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=save.jpg

I would have wanted the top fans sucking air into the rad/case but I dont want to flip the rad in front coz I dont want hot air blowing on me. Of course the other fans thats not on the rads will be positioned accordingly as needed. Any suggestions on my setup?

spoof
04-29-2009, 10:41 PM
I have a question, hope this time someone answer - i'm planing to put in my Fuziov 2, MCW30, Micro-Res, MCR320 on MCP655 loop one more rad and 4870x2 FC block. I'm thinking of GTS 240+EK FC water block. The question is - will MCP655 be enought. I mean, am i gonna lose performance, which will impact CPU temp(the most important), or it's enought?

armeniandave
04-30-2009, 03:19 AM
Hope you guys dont mind if I just add my question here.

I also bought a Cosmos S but the only one available here is the one with a window side panel. It doesnt come with the huge fan. I'll be installing a MCR-220(295 gtx) in front and a MCR-320(core I7) up top. All with medium yates.

This is the layout I have come up so far:
http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=save.jpg

I would have wanted the top fans sucking air into the rad/case but I dont want to flip the rad in front coz I dont want hot air blowing on me. Of course the other fans thats not on the rads will be positioned accordingly as needed. Any suggestions on my setup?

What about modding the side panel with a 250mm fan?
I modified my old Cosmos with the side fan and it helped quite
a bit. You could then have the rear fan blowing out.