PDA

View Full Version : just got brand new 740watt dehumidifier for fifty bucks!

dmitriyaz
08-01-2002, 07:14 PM
top of the line Kenmore,
65 pints/24hr,
1 horse power compressor (740watt),
for $52 including shipping!
its humidistat or the electronics or whatever is messed up,
but who cares, i will tear it all out anyway!
the compressor/condenser/capline/evaporator are all new and intact.
got it on Ebay :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2042606875&rd=1
i am really broke, so this is like a godsend to me.
i am almost dancing as i am typing this...
you could care less, just thought i'd share my joy with you guys :toast:

DaGooch
08-01-2002, 08:10 PM
Excellent purchase!

Tweaked!
08-03-2002, 06:36 AM
Nice find! Hope it works out well for you. Just one word of advice, The rotary compressor in that thing is a little more delicate compared to standard hermetically sealed compressors. Be gentle with it and it should serve you well.

dmitriyaz
08-03-2002, 10:32 AM
what do you mean by "be gentle" though? anything in particular that maybe i should be aware of?

General_B
08-19-2002, 01:33 PM
Isn't it more like portable heater?

dmitriyaz
08-19-2002, 05:41 PM
nope. more like very compact heavy-duty freezer, and its designed for continous load.

Tweaked!
08-20-2002, 02:35 AM
Rotary compressors are designed for small loads. It should have a continuoius duty cycle, but it has a small output ratio. All it is designed for in that humidifier is to absorb the humidity out of the air. Thats not near the load that an air conditioners compressor would be faced with. Although the load it would be given dealing with a computer isn't all that much for it, If you go changing the size of the evaporative coil or the cap tubes you'll be changing the load design. So when you go about gutting it and converting it over, just make sure you keep its original load ratios in mind. Otherwise you'll be either stressing the compressor or under working it. The best optimized system keeps the compressor running all the time versus cycling, but not enough to prevent it from getting cold enough to keep it from reaching its potential. In other words, if you're going to be submerging the evap coil in a resorvior of water ( or antifreeze) you might have to leave a portion of the evap coil sticking up out of the water to allow it to reach a certain temp. You'll have to play around with it a little to find the optimized amount of submerging that will produce the coldest effects without overworking the system. It's all good in the end, it will be fun to experiment with it. Enjoy your new toy my friend. :) I'll try to do a little of my homework and see if I can figure out how to efficiently design the loads of a water chiller system of such. I work in the heating and air business, but I've never applied it to this type of scenario. How much wattage does the three major chips ( Cpu, Northbridge, and gpu) produce???

dmitriyaz
08-20-2002, 11:38 AM
thanks Tweaked!
say, you work in the HVAC business, eh?
actually, i changed my mind about building a water chiller,
i decided to go with direct contact phase change.
i have a thousand questions, and don't know where to start.
as for the wattage, i will give you the numbers you should design your cooling system for. its more than the chips really produce, but there needs to be some head room, plus taking in consideration the upcoming chips....
CPU => 200w
GPU => 100w
NB => 60w
if you are interested in building your own direct contact phase change, and/or exchanging info about it, subscribe to the sticky "building phase change" thread
:toast:

Tweaked!
08-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I plan on getting into it eventually, but right now the wife has us too strung out on a few other projects. Plus, I've been spending a lot of my spare time rehabing an old rental property I bought. That doesn't seem to leave a lot of funds available for the projects I really am interested in. But it makes for a secure future....
I'll be able to go full blown in about a year or so. I've been slowly building my own water cooler in my basement in my spare time out of spare residential htg and air conditioning parts. Will eventually apply it to a dual Amd setup I've been wanting to build. But then we're back to the financial end of it. I get a few bucks saved up and start thinking about what to do with it, I always end up putting it into the house. But I'll be joining the Phase change group soon enuf ;)

I'll see if I can do some designing with those wattages and figure out exactly what kinda output you'll be needing. I'm pretty sure just off the top of the noggin, that dehumidifier will do just fine though. :)

dmitriyaz
08-20-2002, 03:10 PM
oh it will do fine :thumbsup:
Prometeia is only 130w or so, and it does al right,
and my dehumidifier compressor is 740w, thats 1 horse power :hehe:
i am thinking though: if a 130w prometeia can cool an athlon down to -40*C,
and the evaporator coil on my dehumidifier only gets down to -35*C or so,
there MUST be a way to change something and really employ that 1 horse power, you know what i'm saying?
i am not gonna ask questions as of yet, because i got a lot to learn before i can bother all you smart people with my ignorance :slap:

Tweaked!
08-21-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by dmitriyaz
oh it will do fine :thumbsup:
Prometeia is only 130w or so, and it does al right,
and my dehumidifier compressor is 740w, thats 1 horse power :hehe:
i am thinking though: if a 130w prometeia can cool an athlon down to -40*C,
and the evaporator coil on my dehumidifier only gets down to -35*C or so,
there MUST be a way to change something and really employ that 1 horse power, you know what i'm saying?
i am not gonna ask questions as of yet, because i got a lot to learn before i can bother all you smart people with my ignorance :slap:

The only ignorance is not trying or giving up without asking any questions. I'm basically new to computers in general, so I'm in the same boat bro.
I believe you can get the temps lower by reducing the exposure on the evap coil. Just got to watch that it can handle the reduction without freezing up. :)

dmitriyaz
08-21-2002, 11:36 AM
i see...
there is a guy who sells CDroms called "refridgiration basics",
it covers pretty much all there is to know about refridgiration, from the obvious to all the formulas involved.
i read the demo article and really liked it.
i will email him and see if i can get one for free :hehe: