PDA

View Full Version : nForce2 here I come!

DaGooch
08-01-2002, 06:23 PM
Well, there seems to be no official support for DDR400 with the KT400 therefore, nForce2 will most likely be my board for Socket 462.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1028101079

septimus
08-01-2002, 07:18 PM
What about SiS?

KnightElite
08-01-2002, 08:53 PM
So what's the point of the kt400 if it doesn't support DDR400? Isn't it more or less a pointless upgrade then?

Neptune5k
08-01-2002, 11:04 PM
I agree.... nforce2 is looking more and more promising - we'll just have to see when the boards come out.

Personally, I'm keeping my eye on the new SiS P4 chipsets and also the rumors regarding a new T-Bred revisions. Man, i really hope that rumor comes true and soon.

JBELL
08-01-2002, 11:33 PM
nFORCE will own j00!

septimus
08-02-2002, 04:10 AM
It seems that KT400 only adds AGP 8x and some other stuff. A very incremental upgrade.

mdzcpa
08-02-2002, 04:18 AM
With the possibility of AMD putting a little more oomph into the next round of Tbreds (including a 333mhz bus), the lack of DDR400 support from the KT400 is a serious blow to VIA.

I can see no reason to upgrade to a KT400 chipset at this point.

Hmm..I do hope the Nforce2 kicks ass...that'll be my next chipset methinks.

MrIcee
08-02-2002, 02:21 PM
I have personally always liked NVidia's approach with dual channel DDR...I think thats the ticket for the AMD guys...but their first implementation sucked performancewise....most of the boards couldn't clock the FSB and really make the potential bandwidth the design COULD be capable of. The lack of overclocking tweaks along with memory timing tweaks really put a damper on the first gen from the hardcore performance users perspective. They just couldn't produce the performance necessary for the big benches alot of us run...but were in fact fine boards with tons of features that alot of users loved.

With all that said....I'm reserving my opinion on the newest iteration, NForce 2....until I see some boards. They will indeed be feature packed...the sound and nic options are excellent, as are the support for DDR 400. As with most of the high performance set...I am waiting to see what these new boards bios' will offer as far as overclocking options and memory management. If these boards will truly run at 400Mhz+ FSB/Mem synchronously, not asynchronous with only the mem at 400Mhz+...and the multitude of tweaking options included in the bios to wring out every last ounce of bandwidth...then I too will explore the NForce also.

As far as the KT-400....you must remember that DDR400 is not an official spec...and as such...VIA may be avoiding adopting the non spec. The KR7A and KX7 both handle DDR400 and beyond just fine(225Mhz for me in tests on the KX7), so keep an open mind on the KT-400...particularly Abit's incarnation. Tho not officially supporting DDR400....the KT-400 is not just an upgrade from KT-333 but rather a step up in evolution. It is supposed to be a higher bandwidth solution to all their current offerings, with all things equal in settings with KT-266A and KT-333. So I'm keeping my eyes open on these boards also...as up to this point in AMD performance...VIA offered the most performance available...and when the bios is done right...the most tweakable bandwidth and overclocking.

If NForce2 is everything its being touted as being...and capable of...and can produce the numbers, the performance and tweakability that many of us look for in a board...then this horse race for # 1 AMD performance board can only be to our benefit as AMD enthusiasts. Either way...we will be taking the next step in performance:)

Randi:D

UPDATE: Just read this story on Gigabytes production of their KT-400 board...please browse the specs...as they claim DDR400 support http://www.auspcworld.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1319 . This is becoming quite interesting indeed:)

arkenzo
08-02-2002, 05:37 PM
This is probably already mentioned, but when will the nforce2 boards start coming out? I'm in the process of buying my computer parts, and have been holding off my Abit KX7-133R, for the nforce2 chipset boards.

sysfailur
08-03-2002, 11:24 AM
Ya know what would be sweet. Quad channel DDR. You would need 4 chips of ram, but how nice would that be?