PDA

View Full Version : GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H befuddled yet again, memory mismatch

nanohead
12-23-2008, 08:02 PM
OK, this time, I figured I'd add some more memory to the board. I put in 2x2GB 1066 OCZ) Now, it is doing something I have NEVER seen before.... BIOS, CPUz and AOD say it has 4GB, yet Vista and Everest say it has 2GB? And even more bizarre, Everest SEES both sticks, yet reports total as on 2GB....

Has to be seen to be believed

roofsniper
12-23-2008, 08:10 PM
im guessing you are running 32bit like in your sig? even tho 32 bit won't let you use all 4gb it should let you use at least 2.8gb so im not sure if that is the issue or not but it might be something worth looking into.

charged3800z24
12-23-2008, 09:33 PM
im guessing you are running 32bit like in your sig? even tho 32 bit won't let you use all 4gb it should let you use at least 2.8gb so im not sure if that is the issue or not but it might be something worth looking into.

In windows 32bit, you have a 4GB total limit. Each application uses a 4GB virtual memory space. This is divided into 2 GB kernel, 2GB normal applications. With /3GB switch in the boot.ini, the programs can address up to 3 GB memory. In server grade versions of Windows (2000, 2003 Datacenter etc.), using PAE option, 32 bit OS can address more than 4 GB process memory. I don't know if this option is available with Vista 32bit. Most users report seeing 3.25GB memory in windows XP 32bit.

nanohead
12-24-2008, 05:19 AM
In windows 32bit, you have a 4GB total limit. Each application uses a 4GB virtual memory space. This is divided into 2 GB kernel, 2GB normal applications. With /3GB switch in the boot.ini, the programs can address up to 3 GB memory. In server grade versions of Windows (2000, 2003 Datacenter etc.), using PAE option, 32 bit OS can address more than 4 GB process memory. I don't know if this option is available with Vista 32bit. Most users report seeing 3.25GB memory in windows XP 32bit.

Yep, I tried everything including manually raising the limit in boot options in msconfig, and it STILL won't see the 3072 or so that all the other 32bit machines can see.....

Argh.....

freeloader
12-24-2008, 05:26 AM
I had the same problem with XP 32 on an Asus L1N64 WS/B board. CPU-Z reported 4gb, but basically any other program would only show one stick of the ram. Ubuntu (64 bit) and XP 64 both showed the correct amount of ram. Just a 32 bit limitation. :D

BTW...I added the switch in boot.ini and XP still didn't see over 2gb.

nanohead
12-24-2008, 06:10 AM
I had the same problem with XP 32 on an Asus L1N64 WS/B board. CPU-Z reported 4gb, but basically any other program would only show one stick of the ram. Ubuntu (64 bit) and XP 64 both showed the correct amount of ram. Just a 32 bit limitation. :D

BTW...I added the switch in boot.ini and XP still didn't see over 2gb.

Yeah, thanks, Its too weird.... In this case, its not looking like a 32 bit limitation, its just plain strange. I have another machine sitting right next to it with 32bit and 4GB and it shows 3072. In msconfig where you can go to advanced boot options and change total memory, it is stuck at 1768.... I just added the memory yesterday, and it was at 2GB. But vista didn't adjust to double the memory.... it should see 3GB

I just ran memtest for an hour, and that is fine. Seems the hardware is fine as the lowest level...

I guess its time to reinstall vista again... to bad, as it actually runs pretty well and doesn't need to be reinstalled as much as xp did. blah...