PDA

View Full Version : HELP system tips needed!!

fireandsmoke
08-01-2002, 03:22 PM
Hey all,
After thinking and researching I've changed some ideas about my set up and need some input.
I've got the gigabyte ga-7vrxp mobo (tweaktown 10/10 oc'ing review)
I 've got a 512mb stick of OCZ pc3200 ddr ram
I've got an unlocked xp2200
now I was going to do air cooled, and then i read about koolance prefab cases...the full tower with the window...about $320 for case, coolers, everything.
1) do i need the cpu cooler, northbridge cooler and vga cooler?
I know there are much more expensive or clever cooling systems out there but I'm not a hardcore oc'er. I want rock solid stability at 2.0ghz+ playing games, surfing whatever. So I dont want a rolling refrigerator...
i wanted to get 2 maxtor 80gb 7200's and run them at uata 133mhz
via the mobo RAID0
or would 2 wd spec edition 7200's w/8mb cache work better with RAID0?
Do i go for the uata133 or 8mb cache???
power supply...do i need an expensive form factor dual fan model like an enermax or with the koolance case can i go generic?
how 'bout waiting for that new radeon 9700?
how about windows xp pro and where can i get some cool oc'ing softweare like sis sandra or that pcmuia(??)
let 'em fly guys!!!
f&s

Tweaked!
08-01-2002, 04:26 PM
Well, I can't answer most of those q's, but I'll offer up what I can.
First off, you'll probably be able to reach 2.0 with that xp2200 without watercooling, but water cooling would be better in the long run. If you do set up water cooling, might as well design it right the first time and cool all three areas with the setup.
As far as software for o/cing, your mobo's bios should contain all the adjustable settings you'll need. You shouldn't need any software to do so. And as for sandra, I'd read up about it first. I've read a few posts lately about the newer versions of sandra containing spyware nowadays.
As far as the psu, don't skimp there, you'll be a much happier camper with a decent psu versus a cheapie that might end up screwing something up or dieing early due to extreme load conditions.
As far as the Radeon 9700, I'd personally wait on that for a little while and let the prices drop and the hardcore reviews to come in on it first. There's a lot of good cheaper vid cards on the market that can hang with most games till the 9700 proves itself. But that's just my 2cents on that matter. I'm sure you'll get a few other opinions on this matter that will vary in both directions. Good luck making that decision.
But a rolling refrigerator really isn't all that bad ;)
Btw, welcome to Xtreme forums. :)

JBELL
08-02-2002, 01:25 AM
YGPM