PDA

View Full Version : SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation

Monkeywoman
12-18-2008, 10:15 AM
I picked up this game honestly for the headset. I had read reviews online and all were pretty weak. I popped the game in to see how its like and to check out whats so bad. First off there is a 2gig game installation requirement, then a 400mb game update...that's an hour and still no gaming.

Once all that was out of the way, it's time to customize your player. This is what started to turn me on, soo much can be done to make your player...you; From changing the camo colour to the camo its self. There are two characters, one commando and other mercenary; then 8 presets of each are available. Once thats all out of the way there is weapons. I was surprised at the guns they give as the starting bunch, and there are attachments too that are available for each weapon. 2 attachments per gun and different types depending on on type of rifle.

Everything is all set and done and now its time to play, there is quite a wait for the server list to update, once they're all found i chose the first one and i was in.
The game play is very tactical, you cant run and gun. The controls were instinctive and used the SIXAXIS motion sensor for leaning and ducking, they actually work pretty well. When it came to shooting, going auto is suicide. There is so much recoil that burst fire is the way to go.

The maps are very detailed, think of MGS4 but with colour. There is so much to the maps, like in size and random stuff, big plus to the game are the maps. Id like to see a winter and night map considering that this is an on-line only game.

The over all experience was laggy and felt buggy. I would have to say the game is still in beta. latest version of the game is 1.2 and there is a 1.3 update in the future with over 100 fixes.
If a friend asked me if he should buy the game, I would say wait till the 1.3 update. Its just not ready yet and i'm surprised how they released the game in such condition.

Now, the headset...best mic and sound ever. it was easy to pair up and has no problems in game. i hear very little to no static while in-game.

A slight review of my feel for the game, if anyone bought it add me on PSN, if not...wait till next update then add me.:up:

Monkeywoman
01-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Well, the 1.3 patch is out. The game overall is still laggy with server problems, i have no idea how such noticeable problems still haven't been fixed. the d-pad can be used to lean instead among other fixes i didn't notice. its weird, the patch was 530mb's but overall game problems are still there; i guess that's what happens when developers don't care. I'll be trading in my game for Killzone 2 when its released. I hope this title hasn't tarnished the SOCOM franchise.