PDA

View Full Version : xbox in my computer

shoopdawoopa
12-17-2008, 04:02 PM
So I am installing my xbox 360 into my pc and I want to put the drive into one of the 5.25 bays. I had 2 ideas, I could buy a new PC DVD drive and hook it up to the sata and then PC power or I could find a extended Xbox 360 power cable. Which would you do and why? I also need a way to power it on with a momentary switch that is not on the xbox, s all ideas are good :)

tiro_uspsss
12-17-2008, 04:52 PM
does the xb360 play nice with a totally diff DVD drive than its original? :confused:

i know that its a bit of work just to get a diff HDD in there.. wouldnt be suprised if a DVD drive is a no-go :shrug:

zanzabar
12-17-2008, 04:59 PM
u have to use the drive that your xbox came with, but u can replace the casing on it

i think that there is a mod chip for any dvd drive but u cant talk about those on the forum

shoopdawoopa
12-17-2008, 05:13 PM
any suggestions on where I should post for more help? and Im still looking for a extended 360 dvd power cable, anyone seen one?

Veraldur
12-18-2008, 12:36 AM
They don't work since they're bound to the console itself. However there are methods to "trick" the console into thinking it is the right drive. Search around on Google, there are plenty of guides around.

As for the power, it uses SATA power doesn't it?

YukonTrooper
12-18-2008, 02:01 AM
You can only use a different drive if you remove the key and firmware from the original and flash it to the new one. Even if you did that, you'd have to use a compatible drive to flash to, unless you're a hacking whiz.

rogard
12-18-2008, 02:36 PM
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=261&cl_index=1&sc_index=35&ss_index=87

?

UZ7
12-18-2008, 03:29 PM
They don't work since they're bound to the console itself. However there are methods to "trick" the console into thinking it is the right drive. Search around on Google, there are plenty of guides around.

As for the power, it uses SATA power doesn't it?

nah it has a power connector on it as well

as for the dvd drive yeah like mentioned above its locked to a specific motherboard and you would need that lock code, unlock, swap then lock again etc... so you need to be really tech savvy for that, risk for firmware flashing just like bios flashing is you can easily brick the drive if not done properly

Lestat
12-19-2008, 11:47 AM
there are no pc drives that will work as a 360 drive, period.
there are some Pc drives that you can flash with the Kreon firmware to rip games but you can not play games.

as for an extended drive power cable, just cut the wires and solder new ones to the length you need. its that simple.

theclash
12-19-2008, 12:26 PM
How about this?

http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=73_87&products_id=791

yaddam205
12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
How about this?

http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=73_87&products_id=791

Looks like replacement cables for the official DVD drive nothing special. No mention of aftermarket DVD players.

Lestat
12-19-2008, 01:37 PM
as yaddam said those are nothing more than replacement cables.

i imagine you might find longer cables but you are going to be better off just buying the cables from Llama and just cutting them in half, then soldering longer cables in the middle, so you can make your own long cable.

you can not put a 360 mobo into a pc case anyways with out some HEAVY modifications, so you might as well start out buy solding in some longer cables.

Veraldur
12-19-2008, 03:00 PM
nah it has a power connector on it as well

as for the dvd drive yeah like mentioned above its locked to a specific motherboard and you would need that lock code, unlock, swap then lock again etc... so you need to be really tech savvy for that, risk for firmware flashing just like bios flashing is you can easily brick the drive if not done properlyI know, I meant in addition to SATA, does it use SATA power but it appears to use some sort of proprietary connection.

Also the Samsung drives are supposedly impossible/extremely difficult to brick.

shoopdawoopa
12-19-2008, 03:12 PM
I think I will just cut and soldering and modify the drive to fit in a 5.25 drive

thanks for the help guys

BTW going into my MM extended ascension, so it will be there with the computer just in a different part lol

Dean
12-19-2008, 07:34 PM
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=261&cl_index=1&sc_index=35&ss_index=87

?

Man, I hadn't seen that yet. It's awesome I think. :)