PDA

View Full Version : Tiny guide on how to remove RAM heatsink

exe163
12-16-2008, 02:44 PM
First of all, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE IT BY FORCE UNDER NORMAL CONDITION.

The easiest way I found is to put the stick in the freezer. After a bit the thermal tapes will contract and lose it's sticky property and will come off without much force.

Hope this helps, I learned my lesson the hard way:

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m428/exe163/DSC01713.jpg

RIP DDR3, and I can't even find a replacement for it.:(

T_Flight
12-16-2008, 02:50 PM
With some memory, don't attempt it at all. Some have thermal epoxies and while it's been done successfuly a couple pf times, there is a high probability that you will also remove the RAM IC from the board. That's one of the things I have learned to leave be. If I want bare boards, I would buy bare RAM, but with the prices of high end DDR3 it's just too much of a risk.

That is a shame. I'm really sorry that happened to you. PM me about what RAM that was. Maybe we can work together to get you going. I can help look around on Ebay and places that might have a spare module laying around.

exe163
12-16-2008, 04:30 PM
I too would not recommend doing anything that would void manufacture's warranty. But in my case, I can't live with 3 sticks of gold rams among the mist of black and red components and case.

Wisc
12-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Your a strong man to post that picture.
I'd be crying if I lost a DDR3 chip. DDR2, Oh well, buy another. But DDR3. I hate to see newer technology die before it's time. At least you haven't tossed it in the trash! That would be dreadful!

O.K. I may not cry, but I sure would be awful sad!

skinnee
12-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Or selecting different ram.