PDA

View Full Version : Jumping into Liquid Cooling!

RedFang300
12-16-2008, 03:37 AM
Yes, I said it, Liquid Cooling, why because it's not really Water anymore if I can't drink it safely. Now I have been plotting out the cost of a new i7 computer back in the days before I even found out the 6x memory slots, SLI/Crossfire, etc. Yet I had always figured like all my systems it was going to be Air Cooled, and quiet poorly at that. I normally only use whatever stock fans and CPU coolers come with my hardware.

However after someone said,"You going Liquid Cooling?" I gave it a second glance. I spent at least 8 hours a day for 5 days straight (after work) researching parts and manufacturs, and how the configurations work. Yet I have still been mostly running around in the dark. I am looking for some advice, and from the looks of it this forum has a bunch.

Not to mention the Liquid Cooling Gallery is awesome.

Now first off, Brands. I see Swifttech, D-Tek, Danger Den, and Koolance as the main four, even though others make them I spotted them out as the "leaders". However after looking around this forum I seem to notice alot of Koolance "distrust" might be the best word.

Why is this, looking over their hardware for a day or so I seem to like it, the website makes it easier for me to find what blocks I need, and when I go to get a block it gives me a list of components that I can choose from, nozzles, and so forth. I go to the other websites and I don't really see that kind of helpfulness.

I thought well maybe the performance is different, but I can't seem to fit all the basics together. Anyways, I figure it might be easier if I just tell you what I have been plotting the past couple weeks.

Alright I will get a CoolerMaster ACTS 840, and as of right now I don't see any window side panels so I was going to cut a window kit for it. Then I will take a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 and rip off the Northbridge, Southbridge, and Voltage Regulator Heatsink.

Then I was going to use the appropriate Water Blocks and mount those. Mounting also to the CPU and two GTX 280s. I have a whole list of Koolance Water Blocks already picked out. Course then I noticed that there are Compression Fittings and Barb Fittings. Which are better?

I want the system to be completely Internal, Radiators, Reservoirs, Pumps, everything. I have a couple pump drawings on paper, try and post them up if I can run them into digital, otherwise I will just try to explain them. Then I figured out a theme, cause why make a rocking system without a theme?

Well I want to make a two loop system, one UV Green, one UV Blue. Blue for my CPU and two GPU. Green for NB, SB, and Voltage Regulators. I wanted to use two hanging inline reservoirs, strapped to the inside of the case, and a three 120mm fan Radiator up in the top housing of the case.

Then somewhere on the bottom or at the back at the exhaust port I would put a smaller single or double 120mm fan Radiator. The larger Rad for the Blue Line, and the Smaller Radiator for the Green Line. My main issue is what Pump to go with, and what size hoses, I figured the large 13mm for the Blue Line, and either 13mm or 10mm for the Green Line.

Blue Line Layout
Pump>Radiator>CPU>GPU>GPU>Reservoir>Pump

Green Line
Pump>Radiator>SB>NB>VR>VR>Reservoir>Pump

Flow Meter?

Also where to put the pumps, since my power supply is pretty long.

Hope this makes sense, looking for help, and if you don't like Koolance, the only real thing I want to keep from them is the Inline Reservoir, so the blocks and rads and tubes, ect. can be swapped out if the specs are better.

Much Thanks.

Linchpin
12-16-2008, 04:03 AM
I would keep the GPU and CPU loops seperate if I were you and have one loop for CPU, NB and mosfets and one for the GPUs and SB. I'd also go with 2 triple rads if I were you but I doubt you'll be able to fit both internally. For pumps I'd go with some DDC 3.2s with tops since those are nice and small. Now regarding blocks the new Koolance stuff is perfectly fine however I'd avoid using any of their chipset block(not sure if any of them are even compatible with that Gigabyte board) since most of those are aluminium unless I'm mistaken, so some Koolance VID-428 blocks for the cards and a Koolance CPU 350 or Swiftech Apogee GTZ should do the trick. I personally prefer barbs over compression fittings because you don't have to worry about them fitting your blocks and I would argue that they're easier to work with as well having the virtue of being way cheaper.

MomijiTMO
Distrust is a fantastic word.
Don't forget EK
If 2 loops then cpu on it's own. Maybe chuck in the x58. i7 is an inferno.
You don't need to cool your sb or mosfets if you are thinking it will improve system stability etc. Most of us do it for fun.
Performance wise barbs and compression fittings are the same. People hate worm screw drive clamps or zip ties. IMO compression fittings look infinitely better but I'll cut costs and skip them.
UV tubing is the way to go unless you really want colour in your res.
I don't recommend doing anything other than water due to the occasional "Help gunk in my cpu block" threads etc. Oh and Feser stuff stains.
Have fun.

century child
Koolance has had some issues in the past but they have been moving in the right direction lately. The vast majority of the complaints against them stem from their use of aluminum. In their newer products, they have moved away from this practice thankfully. Just be careful to avoid any of their older blocks made out of aluminum and you'll be fine. Their new CPU block for example looks to be one of the top performers right now.

My advice to you as far as your loop goes would be to put your CPU and mainboard components in one loop with a triple rad and the 2 GPUs in the second loop with a double rad. Reason being, these new i7's run extremely hot and putting one in a loop with fairly hot running GPU's would only make matters worse. The mainboard components will put out considerably less heat than the GPU's and therefor would be preferable for the CPU loop.

And as to your question about fittings, one type is no better than the other, it's just a matter of personal preference. Many, myself included, prefer the clean look of compression fittings over barbs.

MomijiTMO
12-16-2008, 04:06 AM
3 replies within a minute .. . . . :D

RedFang300
12-16-2008, 04:44 AM
Sweet, I love replies, they make feel accepted! :up:

I don't mind spending the extra for the compression fittings and I do agree that they look a lot better, so good to know they are a good option.

Oh, sweet those smaller pumps are a great idea. Think I will go for these;

PMP-400 (http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=334)

I will then add a nozzle base so I can chose the size barbs/nozzles I want.

PMP-400 Acrylic nozzle base. (http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?products_id=732)

That allows me to change my fittings around for easier positioning and they are clear so I can see the liquid in there too. I was planning on using UN Design.

Z-Bracket (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8282/ex-pmp-76/UNDesigns_Z-Bracket_for_Pump_Mounts.html)

Absolute Pump Bracket (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8284/ex-pmp-78/UNDesigns_Absolute_Pump_Bracket_Rev_2_for_Laing_D5 DDC_pump.html)

3G Pump Bracket (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8283/ex-pmp-77/UNDesigns_3G_Pump_Bracket_for_Laing_D4D5_pump_.htm l)

Alrighty, so lets see.

Blue Line (T-Virus)

TripleRadiator>CPU>VR>VR>NB>SB>Reservoir>Pump

Green Line (Anti T-Virus)

Double Radiator>GPU>GPU>Reservoir>Pump

The heatsink on the motherboard comes off in one piece, I think, bit I figure I would just cool all of them cause it would look cooler. Oh another question, I have seen alot of blocked memory fan coolers, anyone know what I can find one for 6x DDR3?

Linchpin
12-16-2008, 05:05 AM
Get the EK DDC top Rev.2 rather, it should be cheaper and performs better than the Koolance top.

century child
12-16-2008, 07:39 AM
I would think 2 of the corsair RAM coolers would do the trick for 6 mem slots.

Linchpin
12-16-2008, 08:08 AM
I would think 2 of the corsair RAM coolers would do the trick for 6 mem slots.

I think the i7 Dominator kits have a new version of the Corsair RAM cooler, besides I don't you'll be able to fit 2 next to each other. Not to mention all those memory coolers are next to useless.

DeanB
12-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Our latest chipset blocks contain no aluminum. After glancing looking over that board I don't see anything that should cause compatibility problems. :)

RedFang300
12-16-2008, 11:54 AM
The EK DDC tops only have either a duel top option or a side/top option not the choice for both. So if I wanted to move my pump around I can swap the holes easier on the other top.

Now the motherboard waterblocks and their heat transfer plates are advertised as Copper with Nickle Plating over them, I will have to get my board and measure those out before I can order those.

I see the Dominator Cooler for the 6x ram, but I can't seem to find a place where to buy it. I figure it isn't all that needed but still it's sweet, not to mention 12GB could use a little bit more cooling.

*looks at the calender* I told myself I can't order the case until the 1st of January, since the cost of this system I will buy it piece by piece over, something every paycheck, little by little. Tax Return will help a bit. Once I start getting everything slapped together I will post a work log.

Oh as for the theme, I decided to have the two loops colored blue or green, and a UV white light, and to have blood smeared "zombies" hand prints all over it. It's a odd Resident Evil/Zombie theme.

soulesschild
12-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Those (UN)Brackets are awesome ;) You'll love em. I sure do.

I don't know how you plan on fitting in the 2 rads internally without heavy modding like cutting the HDD bay up like coolmiester did. I'm probably going to either jump to a dual rad for cpu/nb (I'm on a 45nm quad) and leave my MCR320 mounted in the top for my 4870x2, or maybe use the dual rad for the 4870x2.

RedFang300
12-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Yeah tell me about it, this 2nd Rad is the main issue I am having, mods will probably come, or interesting placements. Something tells me that those lower 5 1/4 bays are going to be chopped up maybe. I will see when I get the case, looking to order it in a few weeks, even though I want it NOW, so I can start measuring.

RedFang300
12-26-2008, 12:41 AM
I hate to double post, but this is an update. My current rig is sitting in a Mozart TX Thermaltake Case. I wasn't sure if I could use this as a water cooling rig, so I was looking at the 840. However after a few days of pondering and random measuring I think I have come to a interesting plan. I want to put a Triple Rad in the front.

BUT WAIT RED?! You can't fit a triple in the front with those uber awesome extended Vigi (what people at work call them because they like to make fun of me) cards! This is true, before I get a hold of the dremel... possibly a cutting torch.

AHA! now the idea takes form, cut a hole in the front for it, mount it. Probably use a GTS 360 X Flow, have the pump on the other side push water into the bottom of the rad and flow out the top into the waterblocks and then back.

Oh yes, and don't worry the back slots will be filled with duel rads.
I haven't seen any pictures of people cutting open their Mozart so if someone has any let me know.