PDA

View Full Version : Project - Digital Frost

gazmtk
12-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey all
Time to finally post up one of my Projects :rolleyes:
I have wanted to do something with my spare Xbox 360 for a LONG time, I started planning about 3 weeks ago, I really wanted something that caught peoples eyes, but not too intrusive :yepp:
I like digital camo, and I like black, grey and white things :rolleyes:
Before I took to my Xbox I thought it would be best to actually have an idea of what it would look like :up:
I liked what I saw so the next step was pulling apart my face plate to see what I could do for painting where the power button and LED's are, I couldn't pull the Power LED perspex out, but the ring I could. :( knowing I couldn't paint the power button without losing the Power on light, I had to try and match the paint to the plastic's colour :yepp:
I decided on the Tamiya Insignia White (US Navy) AS-20 for the base colour, Its close but still a little off.
There are 2 concept pictures to show where it will end up eventually, its not the original Concept BTW, I changed it to suit my Power button situation :up:

Notice the the Colour difference between the Plastic's colour and the Base colour, I have provided a zoomed section that I blended to show an exaggeration of the colour difference :rolleyes:

I will post more soon! ;)

gazmtk
12-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Here is the Xbox Stripped ... :rolleyes:

gazmtk
12-15-2008, 11:45 PM
The Paint and masking tape, as the beginning of the prep work :)

gazmtk
12-15-2008, 11:53 PM
The base coats are painted on the accessories, the controllers still need to be stripped.. and the main console I haven't decided how to plug up the air vent holes yet.. will decide soon ;)

MomijiTMO
12-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Looking good!

On a side note, I haven't been to Hobbyrama in like 9 years :D.

gazmtk
12-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Looking good!

On a side note, I haven't been to Hobbyrama in like 9 years :D.

LOL yeh I havent been there for years either, but I figured they were the best place to go for the paints I wanted :rolleyes:
plus they have all the hobby tools that I needed :up:
and thanx Momo! :D

tiro_uspsss
12-16-2008, 12:43 AM
The base coats are painted on the accessories, the controllers still need to be stripped.. and the main console I haven't decided how to plug up the air vent holes yet.. will decide soon ;)

i personally like just that grey alone (furtherest left pic) :yepp: :up:

gazmtk
12-16-2008, 12:56 AM
yeh They will remain just German Grey too, I think the CD Tray flap and eject button will be in that too, aswell as the controller battery pack's, I want to have it look somewhat Military, because they dont Camo everything, just the main body work ;)
but thanx for the feed back Tiro, I will take it under advisement :)

P.S. I have just done some thinking and I think I should paint it all Dark Grey (German Grey) and tape off where I want the pattern and then apply the next lightest colour, I was going to go the long way, but I don’t think it will be as good as how I just said, maybe someone could give me some input on painting a pattern, is it easier to go light to dark, or dark to light? I think dark to light.

Anyone know if the new XSPC Xbox 360 WB is good? Im looking at buying one to do the internals when I crack this baby open ;)

yaddam205
12-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Looks like a good start :up:

MomijiTMO
12-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Wha?

WC 360 = awesome.

tiro_uspsss
12-16-2008, 05:15 PM
do they have a block for PS3? :D

Kingcarcas
12-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Sweeeet, can't wait to see how it comes out, i'd love to learn how to do something like this:D

gazmtk
12-16-2008, 07:36 PM
do they have a block for PS3? :D

No I dont think so Tiro, but knowing what you have done in the past im sure you could make one yourself :yepp:
How did adding a PCI slot go? Im guessing your still waiting on the Ram before testing :rolleyes:

UPDATE!!
I have just ordered a secondary case for the 360, I have decided to have a spare case on stand by incase I make a mistake with painting or/and water cooling the main body :shrug: We cant have delays... I know how everyone hates delays :shakes:
I am still painting atm, I will update later today when Im done for the day :)

MomijiTMO
12-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Take your time or it will look like someone vomited the paint on :D.

gazmtk
12-16-2008, 08:56 PM
someone did... the spray can ;) :up: lol
I am taking my time, no real rush except to keep progress flowing :yepp:

tiro_uspsss
12-16-2008, 09:13 PM
No I dont think so Tiro

:doh:

but knowing what you have done in the past im sure you could make one yourself :yepp:

na, 'fraid that wont happen for... mmm.. another 18 months.. give it another 18 months & u might see me post my first WB :up:

How did adding a PCI slot go? Im guessing your still waiting on the Ram before testing :rolleyes:

i got the RAM..... DOA :mad: ... I need to ring Kingston this week for RMA :down:

UPDATE!!
I have just ordered a secondary case for the 360, I have decided to have a spare case on stand by incase I make a mistake with painting or/and water cooling the main body :shrug: We cant have delays... I know how everyone hates delays :shakes:
I am still painting atm, I will update later today when Im done for the day :)

how much did the secondary case set u back? Just an idea: did u know that Lian Li make a case for XB360? :)

zanzabar
12-16-2008, 09:25 PM
any new pics

and did u drop a 120GB into the HDD box, and why liquid u can just change the thermal paste and will drasticaly improve most have not paste completely over the cores

MomijiTMO
12-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Trio aren't you moving or what lol. 18 months is one massive foot walk to Tassie.

tiro_uspsss
12-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Trio aren't you moving or what lol. 18 months is one massive foot walk to Tassie.

yup - hence the guess of 18 months before I bring anything out.. funny u should mention the move - our house went on market just this w.end gone by.. should be in tas in.. mm.. say ~2 months(?). Then I gotta buy up repair parts for my mill lathe, then buy butt-loads of tooling, then get 1-on-1 lessons from the Ol' Fella & then finally start tinkering/making. So as u can see alooot of stuff to get thru first :D :up:

sorry for the OfT gazmtk :( :toast:

tiro_uspsss
12-16-2008, 09:41 PM
any new pics

and did u drop a 120GB into the HDD box, and why liquid u can just change the thermal paste and will drasticaly improve most have not paste completely over the cores

cause this is xtremesystems!!! :rolleyes: :stick:

UZ7
12-16-2008, 10:11 PM
sweet! cant wait till its done!

gazmtk
12-17-2008, 12:02 AM
-- UPDATE --
Well I have ran into my first real drama, putting the pattern on... I was thinking stencil but I will get misty edges.. i want sharp edges, so I went with making and cutting out Masking tape :rolleyes:
After I finished that and applying to the front pannel I sprayed it with my Gunship Grey, It wasnt the best day for progress, but I have clear coated the top and bottom pannel, as well as the hard drive cover :up:
More to come tomorrow ;) I have worked out my method of attack so I am now back in progress :yepp:

P.S. I wanted 3mm squares but I had a 6mm Grid board and my tape is 6mm, so figured 6mm will probably be better in the long run :)

gazmtk
12-17-2008, 12:07 AM
any new pics

Nah keeping it as a 20gig, I have a 120gig on my elite and hardly filled it up, so no real point in my opinion, so the money I saved not buying the 120gig I will put into water cooling it ;)
and why water cooling, why not?! :rolleyes:
Water is so much more fun, and this way I can justify voiding my warranty :ROTF: its a means to a end for me :yepp:

Tiro, the second case cost me $80 shipped from the US, not here yet but its express delievery so wont be long :)
and I saw the Lian Li cases, but I read a review and the build is rushed and not thought out fully according to the reviewer and is shown clearly in the pics :(

All Ready to go for tomorrow when the sun comes up ;)

tiro_uspsss
12-17-2008, 03:19 AM
Tiro, the second case cost me $80 shipped from the US, not here yet but its express delievery so wont be long :)
and I saw the Lian Li cases, but I read a review and the build is rushed and not thought out fully according to the reviewer and is shown clearly in the pics :(

oh ok :( - 'rushed' hey? that doesnt sound like LL :down: oh well, good that u looked up a review :yepp: :up:

its coming along nicely! :toast:

gazmtk
12-17-2008, 03:38 AM
Hey Tiro :)
Yeh I found a few reviews on it, I thought about it believe me, but the review that sold the Mod what I have was at TechPowerUp ;)
Watercooling in the LL would of been easier though :rolleyes:
Thanx for the compliments aswell, I am trying to keep this moving as fast as possible :up:
I am losing the net at the end of this week due to changing of provider so I want to give you a look at what it will look like on the end product atleast ;)
or atleast how not to apply the pattern :rolleyes:
I have never attempted Digital pattern before and I am finding it challenging but fun none the less, I have read different ways of painting digital patterns and I think i chose the hard way :shrug:
Time will tell, I think I might be able to unmask tomorrow if the weather is right :D
I will keep you all informed tho :up:

tiro_uspsss
12-17-2008, 03:46 AM
Hey Tiro :)
Yeh I found a few reviews on it, I thought about it believe me, but the review that sold the Mod what I have was at TechPowerUp ;)
Watercooling in the LL would of been easier though :rolleyes:
Thanx for the compliments aswell, I am trying to keep this moving as fast as possible :up:
I am losing the net at the end of this week due to changing of provider so I want to give you a look at what it will look like on the end product atleast ;)
or atleast how not to apply the pattern :rolleyes:
I have never attempted Digital pattern before and I am finding it challenging but fun none the less, I have read different ways of painting digital patterns and I think i chose the hard way :shrug:
Time will tell, I think I might be able to unmask tomorrow if the weather is right :D
I will keep you all informed tho :up:

:up: good stuff! :toast:
well I actually finally emailed kingston. I got a nice quick reply.. the 'vibe/tone' suggests they are 'itching' to help :woot: my kinda company :D

so u got 2 XB360s? any of them the new jasper revision? :D

MomijiTMO
12-17-2008, 04:08 AM
Prolly not lol.

The power consumption is a great improvement.

gazmtk
12-17-2008, 04:28 AM
well I have 3 Xbox 360 actually... just one got left at a mates when I was up visiting, he still has it tho ;)
I have 1 2nd Generation, 1 of the first HDMI Xbox's (at my mates) and an Elite.. the elite fits in with my all black theme in my bedroom, Grey walls and black everything else :)

gazmtk
12-19-2008, 12:10 AM
-- UPDATE --
Ok so I got drunk and went wake boarding yesterday :rolleyes:
my bad
but today I finished the paint, im not entirely happy with it atm, I am now looking at the 2nd face plate to try my other method of applying the decals, aswell as making the squares smaller and irregular :yepp:
I will keep you all up dated ;)

Lestat
12-19-2008, 10:23 AM
excellent work so far man but.... yuck,, i hate to say it brothu but what a freakin nasty way to paint/design your beautiful 360,,, just... yuck...