PDA

View Full Version : Some random questions

exe163
12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Where do you connection 3 pin (and/or daisy chained) withoiut a fan controller? Mobo fan plugo on my P6T seems to make the fan run slower than it's full speed.

Does 4 pin molex deliver more power than 3 pin?

Can PSU mount in 5.25 drive bays without complicated mods?

If I open up my my PSU and turn the fan over, is there any potential problems with it? (hx1000)

Thanks in advance :). Trying to find good way to fit my second MCR320 inside my case, but sacrificing 9 drive bays doesn't seems to be a good way to do it.

MpG
12-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Where do you connection 3 pin (and/or daisy chained) withoiut a fan controller? Mobo fan plugo on my P6T seems to make the fan run slower than it's full speed.
Can't speak about that board, although double-check that the fan headers aren't set for reduced speed in the BIOS. 3-pin splitters can be purchased at some aftermarket shops, or can be fabbed if you have a little know-how and parts. You'll only get rpm-reading on one of the fans though, and you need to be careful not to overload a motherboard header by drawing too much power. My own personal limit is about 6W/header, although many motherboards say that their headers can put out 12W w/o trouble.

Does 4 pin molex deliver more power than 3 pin?
Yes. I believe Molex officially rates those connectors at about 15A (180W), although I wouldn't dare go near that myself. 5-6A is safe, 7-8A probably so, unless the PSU maker REALLY cheaped out on the wiring gauge. But being able to handle more power won't change the voltage on the wires.

Can PSU mount in 5.25 drive bays without complicated mods?
No. Unless there's some adaptor floating around that lets you do that, you'll have to do some modifications yourself. How complicated they are, that will depend on the case

If I open up my my PSU and turn the fan over, is there any potential problems with it? (hx1000)
You mean, run the fan in pull configuration instead of push? No guarantees that all components will get necessary cooling, since the airflow paths through the circuitry will likely be different.

exe163
12-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the detailed explaination.

Yes I am planning to make the PSU suck air from rear and exit inside the case. Since I plan to create the same intake airflow for my rad on the back, the PSU exhaust might dump hot air in the rad. Anyone with experience with this?