PDA

View Full Version : Hexus Reports: XFX to sell ATI cards in 2009

Syn.
12-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Now lets see what people here at XS can say about why this has happened...

HEXUS can confirm that one of NVIDIA's strongest AIB supporters, XFX, will be signed up as an ATI (AMD) card partner in the very near future.

What that means is that XFX, with its glitzy marketing and XXX Edition cards, will be bringing all this marketing know-how to ATI's GPUs - presumably encompassing the entire line-up of 2-, 3-, and 4-series SKUs...

Read the whole thing here:
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16611

Warboy
12-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Well, We will see.

Remember about that old fake story about eVGA doing ATi cards a long while back? (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/08/02/evga-wanted-to-sell-ati-card/1)

So it's all about waiting and seeing what happens. XFX might be a more "believable" case.

Morais
12-12-2008, 10:20 AM
If confirmed, XFX made a wise choice... ATi partners aren't strong as NV (BFG, evga @ XFX), so they might grab some market and of course, my choice

zerazax
12-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Lifetime warranty for ATI would be nice

I've heard about the XFX to ATI rumor for a lot longer than any evga ones, and its probably much more likely given financial situation + credibility of the rumors on this one

Dami3n
12-12-2008, 10:28 AM
I think is a good choice if confirmed. Not only for videocads, Ati have great igps and chipsets, and xfx can make some money with motherboards if they want.

Rammsteiner
12-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Whether it's true or not, I couldnt care less really.

XFX, eVGA... Apart from their warranty they're just like Gigabyte and MSI:rolleyes: Nothing of them will enter my house ever.

ap4lifetn
12-12-2008, 10:29 AM
they've already started selling X58 motherboards, why not join the RED team too?

XFX ATI cards will be my choice

SKYMTL
12-12-2008, 10:31 AM
This news is legit. More on Monday...

Hell Hound
12-12-2008, 10:32 AM
XfX ATI 1GB 4870 Fatality Edition :shocked:

ubuntu83
12-12-2008, 10:34 AM
so how about HD4850 XXX xtreme ownage Edition?

Hell Hound
12-12-2008, 10:34 AM
XfX ATI 1GB 4870 Fatality Edition :shocked:,I'll take 2.Your 4850 will get BONED buddy!

ubuntu83
12-12-2008, 10:38 AM
So how will their website look like half green and half red?

SKYMTL
12-12-2008, 10:44 AM
So how will their website look like half green and half red?

I'm more interested about how this will affect their warranties.

Hell Hound
12-12-2008, 10:45 AM
http://www.tek-9.org/image.php?what=avatar&size=thumb&id=19072

Solus Corvus
12-12-2008, 10:48 AM
HD4870xxx2

Lol.

iTravis
12-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Double lifetime warranty FTW. :up:

Sly Fox
12-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Good news.

Some of ATI's partners seem a little sub-par if you ask me.
XFX is overall quality AFAIK.

Ozzfest05
12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
if this is true it would be interesting to see how well they do

YukonTrooper
12-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Good news. Visiontek is the only ATI distributor with a lifetime warranty, correct?

George_o/c
12-12-2008, 11:53 AM
So when will we know if it's confirmed or not ? Really curious to see what happens from now on ... :yepp:

aiya
12-12-2008, 12:09 PM
as SKY said, more info on monday :up:

great news for ATI

LiquidReactor
12-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Also if XFX initiated a 3-4 months step up program once it gets into ATIs boat that would be even more awesome.

Syn.
12-12-2008, 02:25 PM
This news is legit. More on Monday...

Correct. I left that part out of my quote to see how many people will actually go to source and read the whole thing.

jasonelmore
12-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Word to the wise: XFX also allows you to keep your warranty even if you overclock your graphics cards ;)

Glow9
12-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Is XFX American? Be nice if their RMA service was good.

N19h7m4r3
12-12-2008, 04:04 PM
I hope they don't cover the cards in that god forsaken stickers like they do the GTX's.

It's almost impossible to get those off to water cool the cards, I hear.

Klarko
12-12-2008, 04:39 PM
does XFX have a stepup for the nvida cards right now?

ColonelCain
12-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Good news if true. So far, I have heard good things about XFX. And they would get my business, because heck, even ATI's best AIB, Sapphire, leaves a lot to be desired.

kadozer
12-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Double warranty ftw. Hope this ups the ante for the abysmal warranties the existing partners currently offer.

Ket
12-12-2008, 07:07 PM
XFX suck, their choice of components and implemented cooling solutions have been somewhat questionable more often than not. I would still pick up a Powercolor, Sapphire or HIS card over XFX anyday.

Double warranty ftw. Hope this ups the ante for the abysmal warranties the existing partners currently offer.

Kidding right? Asus offer 3 years, Sapphire offer 2 years, some manufacturers 1 year (not so great). The point, a 2-3 year warrenty is lightyears away from "abysmal" :rolleyes:

kadozer
12-12-2008, 07:19 PM
XFX suck, their choice of components and implemented cooling solutions have been somewhat questionable more often than not. I would still pick up a Powercolor, Sapphire or HIS card over XFX anyday.

Kidding right? Asus offer 3 years, Sapphire offer 2 years, some manufacturers 1 year (not so great). The point, a 2-3 year warrenty is lightyears away from "abysmal" :rolleyes:

dead serious for double warranty ! can't wait to buy an RV870xxx in the summer:shocked:

kadozer
12-12-2008, 07:21 PM

dead serious for double warranty ! can't wait to buy an RV870xxx in the summer:shocked:

edit: forgot added bonus of overclocking without worrying about warranty.

Weird double posted sorry mod please delete one.

[XC] hipno650
12-12-2008, 08:21 PM
this would be really good news for AMD. they would finally have a partner with some quality. this is fantastic news.

zanzabar
12-12-2008, 08:29 PM
why dose the partner matter, xfx only sells reference tsmc cards and MB with shinny stickers. and most amd praters sell the reference tsmc with shinny stickers

lowfat
12-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I love XFX's warranty, so much easier to sell used stuff over eVGA cards.

Glow9
12-12-2008, 08:54 PM
double warranty eh?

Macadamia
12-13-2008, 02:02 AM
why dose the partner matter, xfx only sells reference tsmc cards and MB with shinny stickers. and most amd praters sell the reference tsmc with shinny stickers

No, XFX has its own card designs (see the butchered 8800GT)

And XFX is a better known name around Europe, Middle-east and Asia than most of ATI's partners.

Hoboclese
12-13-2008, 06:29 AM
i think that people are missing the point of any new partyner with experience in the market is an awesome thing for ATI/AMD ...

Nanometer
12-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Traders!

Sparky
12-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Lifetime warranty for ATI would be nice

Visiontek

Ozzfest05
12-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Visiontek

+1 for visiontek

GAR
12-13-2008, 01:12 PM
XfX ATI 1GB 4870 Fatality Edition :shocked:,I'll take 2.Your 4850 will get BONED buddy!

LOL, just overclock your regular card, its not like they can work magic and make a 4870 run 875 mhz on air. You are simply saying you would buy them just because Fatal1ty's name is on it :ROTF:

N19h7m4r3
12-13-2008, 01:22 PM
I might get them if the PCB is black!

I'm not a fan of the usual Red.

865pe
12-13-2008, 04:33 PM
nice, want eVGA... with Ati

Hell Hound
12-15-2008, 09:27 AM
LOL, just overclock your regular card, its not like they can work magic and make a 4870 run 875 mhz on air. You are simply saying you would buy them just because Fatal1ty's name is on it :ROTF:

If its black or red with single slot heatsink like the 7600gt fatality with onboard hdmi,Im happy.Plus that will be a very nice ati card and I can still oc if I want.Lets see if its better than gigabytes 4850.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125237

moogle
12-15-2008, 10:36 AM
XFX, eVGA... Apart from their warranty they're just like Gigabyte and MSI:rolleyes: Nothing of them will enter my house ever.

That's true too :D
In the UK on their NVIDIA side they are crap compared to BFG and EVGA. Which is probably why their overclocked GTX260 cards (Black Edition) are cheaper than their BFG or EVGA counterparts.

Is XFX American? Be nice if their RMA service was good.

Not sure about American, but their RMA service in the UK ain't all that (NVIDIA side, but whats to say they won't practice the same sort of things on their ATi RMA's.

Components sucking is part of their problem but it's the after sales which they fall down on. ie a few problems on the other forum I'm on have been where XFX cards fail right after their 2 year warranty period and XFX can't replace them so they give them £25 or an 8600GT, this is a replacement for a 7900 card. At the tim £25 wouldn't even buy you a card that performed as well on eBay even. Currently as well if your card is faulty, even if it's a blatant fault like card doesn't work at all, XFX's special RMA procedure requires them to have a look at the card before you can get a replacement. This happened on a GTX260 Black edition card I think and it was less than 7 days old, so for me not having my card for a few days isn't so bad, once it's tested and proved faulty to then have it sent away again for more testing is ridiculous. Sure it's an NVIDIA card you say but they'll no doubt use the same procedures for ATi cards.

Yeah and XFX offers 2 year warranties..

Absolutely abysmal of them :D

Chruschef
12-15-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't see why people are complaining. More competition in the ATi card market, means they have to compete harder.

Whether or not these cards are good, or just the normal TSMC cards+shiny sticker doesn't matter. Competition is what matters.

My 8800GTX SLi XFX experience was great. When I received the second card, it was defective. RMA speed was very fast, no difficulties as it was brand new but, none the less it was great support. When I sold the card, warrantee transfered so my resell value was much better than other peoples. Great warrantee/support imo. I might be more interested in ATi cards in the near future.. Now all they need is a very powerful single-GPU solution. None of this SLi/Crossfire crap.

moogle
12-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Now all they need is a very powerful single-GPU solution. None of this SLi/Crossfire crap.

And a bit less idle power consumption. Last I read on ATi stuff was that they were planning to make the GPU throttle down when not in 3D mode to save power? Did that ever happen?

oohms
12-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Lifetime warranties on graphics cards are pointless.. after 3 years whatever card you buy now can't be worth more than $50 then, and you should have long since upgraded :rolleyes:

(Plus to most people its not worth their time sending the card back, waiting a month, etc for something thats only worth $50)

MaK2000
12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
It happened...

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/NewsAndReviews/News.aspx

December 16, 2008
XFX Partners with AMD: Collaboration Gives Gamers More Options at Every Price Point
Ontario, Calif., December 16, 2008 – PINE (HKSE: 8013.HK) today announced that its graphics division, XFX, is partnering with AMD. The collaboration will incorporate the award-winning ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 series GPUs into XFX’s already impressive line of extreme performance graphics cards.

“We are delighted as this partnership allows us to incorporate the current and future AMD graphics technology into our future graphics card designs, and enables our R&D teams to develop an even wider range of graphics products for our worldwide customers,” said Michael Chiu, Chairman and CEO of Pine Technology Holdings.

“In the world of PC gaming, XFX is synonymous with the extreme performance that enthusiast’s crave,” said Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, Graphics Product Group, AMD. “Their decision to partner with AMD and launch AMD GPU-based XFX graphics cards speaks to the level of excellence achieved by the ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 series.”

XFX will debut its first ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 series-based cards in early 2009. The XFX-partnered Radeon™ products will come with all of the popular features that XFX is known for, including XFX’s unparalleled 5-Star support, access to customized drivers, and factory overclocked XXX series.

To learn more about XFX, its products, or its partnership with AMD, please visit www.xfxforce.com.

About XFX
XFX is a global presence in the world of electronic gaming. With its focus on taking gaming to the extreme, XFX has developed an exciting array of video cards and accessories that are designed to maximize the entire entertainment experience. A division of PINE Technologies, XFX operates its own manufacturing facility and maintains an R&D team that features some of the industry’s most renowned talents. Learn more about XFX at www.xfxforce.com.

About AMD

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.

ColonelCain
12-15-2008, 08:47 PM
It happened...

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/NewsAndReviews/News.aspx

December 16, 2008
XFX Partners with AMD: Collaboration Gives Gamers More Options at Every Price Point
Ontario, Calif., December 16, 2008 – PINE (HKSE: 8013.HK) today announced that its graphics division, XFX, is partnering with AMD. The collaboration will incorporate the award-winning ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 series GPUs into XFX’s already impressive line of extreme performance graphics cards.

“We are delighted as this partnership allows us to incorporate the current and future AMD graphics technology into our future graphics card designs, and enables our R&D teams to develop an even wider range of graphics products for our worldwide customers,” said Michael Chiu, Chairman and CEO of Pine Technology Holdings.

“In the world of PC gaming, XFX is synonymous with the extreme performance that enthusiast’s crave,” said Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, Graphics Product Group, AMD. “Their decision to partner with AMD and launch AMD GPU-based XFX graphics cards speaks to the level of excellence achieved by the ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 series.”

XFX will debut its first ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 series-based cards in early 2009. The XFX-partnered Radeon™ products will come with all of the popular features that XFX is known for, including XFX’s unparalleled 5-Star support, access to customized drivers, and factory overclocked XXX series.

To learn more about XFX, its products, or its partnership with AMD, please visit www.xfxforce.com.

About XFX
XFX is a global presence in the world of electronic gaming. With its focus on taking gaming to the extreme, XFX has developed an exciting array of video cards and accessories that are designed to maximize the entire entertainment experience. A division of PINE Technologies, XFX operates its own manufacturing facility and maintains an R&D team that features some of the industry’s most renowned talents. Learn more about XFX at www.xfxforce.com.

About AMD

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Well, now to wait and see what will happen when XFX debuts their first ATI products.

Will the shine? Or will they be a giant let-down? Only time will tell.

Hypediss
12-15-2008, 09:13 PM
sweeeeet

xfx would def be my choice :)

Chruschef
12-16-2008, 09:24 AM
And a bit less idle power consumption. Last I read on ATi stuff was that they were planning to make the GPU throttle down when not in 3D mode to save power? Did that ever happen?

Not to derail this thread or anything, but I'm pretty sure that within CCC, you can set the power-saving settings. It down clocks the processor in 2D mode, and consumes less power.

Aleki
12-16-2008, 10:15 AM
my hesitation with ATI cards have always been their warranty. the ati cards i've owned seem to work just a hair longer than the warranty warrants them, lol (though the last card i owned from ati was a 9800 pro, so things may have changed).
if xfx will carry over their lifetime, then my next card will most probably be from ATI :yepp:

moogle
12-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Not to derail this thread or anything, but I'm pretty sure that within CCC, you can set the power-saving settings. It down clocks the processor in 2D mode, and consumes less power.

Not derailing at all I think. Thanks for that piece of info :up:
It's not like were banging on about it throughout the thread anyway so I hope no one minds :p:

Eson
12-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Early 2009 seem too early to have a custom PCB and such things ready. So i guess it just a reference card with stickers on.

Hell Hound
12-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Depends on when they started.:up:

Macadamia
12-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Early 2009 seem too early to have a custom PCB and such things ready. So i guess it just a reference card with stickers on.

It's launching in January 09, Black PCBs and Red DVI ports. :up::up::up:

BTW: PCB color can be changed irrespective of design. You just need to order those boards instead, and the economics of scale are against you (slightly, irreleavant in the big picture I guess.)

Dami3n
12-16-2008, 07:43 PM

And maybe some bundled game. Ati partners usually only give you the basic cables and cds, nothing more. Would be great to see some xfx 4800 with left4dead or fallout 3 :yepp: