PDA

View Full Version : Helpful opinions needed, O/c'ing a p///800

Tweaked!
08-01-2002, 06:56 AM
Ok guys (and gals),
I'm looking for some suggestions here. I currently have the Abit vh6t mobo with a p///800eb (currently clocked @ 148x6 for 888mhz)
Vid card is the Riva tnt2 32mb
win98se
224mb pc133 crucial

First off, I've got all the latest drivers, via 4in1's, nvidia detonators (except for the newest detonator I was just reading about from Bulldog)
For some reason, I can't get it to stay stable past 148 mhz. It will post up to 155 with vcore raised to 1.8, and cooling stays very cool at 38 - 40c under full load (folding@home), but locks up when I try to run any games. Cooling is not the issue, I'm able to keep it under 40c (full load) no matter how high I take it. Vcore doesn't really seem to help, it'll post just fine up to 155mhz at 1.75 (default for that chip is 1.70) but still won't play any games without locking up or the game just shuts down on its own and returns to windows. I know my vid card is extremely outdated, but runs my games just fine at 148mhz.
So, in everyones opinion, what is holding me back from getting this thing any higher?
Second question, how do I adjust, or even figure out, my ram settings?
The mobo has the softmenu3 in the bios for adjustments. Seems to me like a very thorough set up. I really like the Abit boards. I know this cpu has a lot more to offer, I just can't figure out what's holding it back. thanx in advance for any and all suggestions. :)

JaY_III
08-18-2002, 10:37 AM
looks like you got cooling underwraps....
and high FSB speeds are what is killing you.....
So have you tried to change your I/O voltgae?
raising often helps with system stability, and higher FSB speeds.

RAM setting are your CAS and RAS speeds.....
With SoftMENU III it should be under "ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES".
Set everything to 3 while you are trying the higher FSB's once you are stable, set them to 2 one at a time.....
Your I/O voltage will also feed more to your RAM with board you have.

On a side note, your PCI bus is runnig at 37MHz @ 148 FSB, so that shouldnt be a problem, not till you are in the 160+ range anyways. Spec is 33Mhz

Tweaked!
08-21-2002, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the reply and Welcome to the forums :)
I've tried raising the voltage to the cpu, but haven't tried any other voltage adjustments. I'll see if I can figure out the Ram settings like you suggested.
Btw, have you had a chance to check out our F@H team?
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=651
We could really use the help. ;)