PDA

View Full Version : What program for fixing hard drives

OverLoad_FX
12-09-2008, 05:21 AM
I got this hard drive witch keeps crashing when i format it in XP Setup, I've tryed different hard drives works fine. So my conclusion is that the hard drive has something wrong with it, Bad sector or something like that :mad:

So What app would i use to fix this hard drive for my OS :shrug:

Cheers OverLoad

tiro_uspsss
12-09-2008, 06:18 AM
have u confirmed it has bad sectors?

Speederlander
12-09-2008, 06:21 AM
So What app would i use to fix this hard drive for my OS :shrug:

Cheers OverLoad

Firefox or IE should do it.

Open browser, navigate to newegg, purchase new hard drive.

SpazBoy357
12-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Firefox or IE should do it.

Open browser, navigate to newegg, purchase new hard drive.

^^^Agreed. Once it starts going, it's only a matter of time. Save yourself the aggravation and replace it now.

BTW, Speederlander, you kill me. Generally, I don't worry about coffee on the monitor outside of Wamps, but I'll have to put you on the 'watch-out' list now. :rofl:

OverLoad_FX
12-09-2008, 01:18 PM
have u confirmed it has bad sectors?

Nope haven't, but it makes a ticking noise every 10secs..
And when i format it its very slow and eventually freezes

So what could it be
I think system mechanic might have done something when i was just checking my system for hard drive problems becuase after i restarted the blue screen of death cept occurring, so i went to reformat deleted that partition and now this
any ideas?
:shrug:

Cheers OverLoad_FX

tiro_uspsss
12-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Nope haven't, but it makes a ticking noise every 10secs..
And when i format it its very slow and eventually freezes

So what could it be
I think system mechanic might have done something when i was just checking my system for hard drive problems becuase after i restarted the blue screen of death cept occurring, so i went to reformat deleted that partition and now this
any ideas?
:shrug:

Cheers OverLoad_FX

thats sounds like more than just 'bad sectors' :(
considering the discription given I'd have to agree with the SpeederLander - get a new drive, thats about all that can be done :( sorry!

WhiteFireDragon
12-09-2008, 03:07 PM
is it an old drive or worth a lot to you? if it's not, then you should probably just buy a new drive. if it's one of the newer ones, then see if you warranty is still valid and send it in. or if you want to try and make good use if it still, then partition it into 3 sectors and install the OS on all 3, and see which partition is no good. your bad sector is probably on that one sector that keeps crashing, but the other one or two might still be usable

OverLoad_FX
12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
:( MSY have raised there HDD prices :(
Oh well bye bye my TB friend, ill have to get 500GB..

No warranty got it from whole sellers..

tiro_uspsss
12-09-2008, 03:13 PM
:( MSY have raised there HDD prices :(
Oh well bye bye my TB friend, ill have to get 500GB..

No warranty got it from whole sellers..

its a 1TB?! :shocked:
HDDs *always* have warranty mate - DO NOT let urself get shafted by the f***ing etailers of australia :shakes: :down:

CodeNinja
12-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, don't bother trying to warranty through the seller, just contact the manufacturer. A lot of them have simple enough RMA processes, they'll probably want you to run their diagnostic app and tell them the result.

I've RMAed drives I never bought before, people would just toss them out and they'd still have warranty left on them.

OldChap
12-14-2008, 02:22 PM
There is a prog called spinrite that saved me and could help you if you need to rescue files but it costs and if you have a crashed head or similar may not help (That was not my prob so not sure)