PDA

View Full Version : CPU & NB Voltage crashing on the BlackOps!?

NCspecV81
12-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Okay so when I adjust voltage on either the cpu or the nb I crash to a frozen screen!

In fact, regardless of what speed I am if I adjust it past 1.6v in the bios I don't make it into windows at all. I've done this at completely stock settings and just upped the voltage beyond spec of 1.6v and it's a no boot into windows. I BSOD into an endless loop of sobbing! =o(

When adjusting voltages in windows with ageis panel - That's when I just freeze for an infinite amount of time. Doesn't even have to be 1.6v for this as it can just be whatever voltage higher than what I've booted at.

Help! I can't figure this out! These psu is fine. I've tired both a PCP&C 1kw and this Silverstone Zeus 1200w!

Any ideas!?

Specs are:

BlackOps
QX9650
HD4870X2 CrossfireX
Supertalent ProjectX D9GTR
VapoLS
Watercooled NB

HDCHOPPER
12-08-2008, 03:52 PM
does it do it also just using the bios for changes ?

NCspecV81
12-08-2008, 04:05 PM
does it do it also just using the bios for changes ?

Yeah I can manually change it in the bios, but it doesn't freeze. I'm able to reboot and POST as usual, but windows refuses to boot and I BSOD. I can't figure this out for the life of me.

Thenura
12-08-2008, 05:05 PM
endless beep means something with RAM ,AFAIk

CMIIW

NCspecV81
12-08-2008, 05:52 PM
I post.. just a post beep. It bsod's.

NCspecV81
12-09-2008, 05:36 AM
*update* - seems to work fine with 2 cores disabled. I really think it's something to do with the mosfets and not the cpu. I may order another board to try the cpu out on.

cadaveca
12-09-2008, 06:18 AM
chipset is getting too hot. Disabling cores lowers FSB traffic, and thereby heat. I used to get this same thing before pulling apart teh chipset heatsink and replacing the TIM...the stock cooler is rather horribly done.

HDCHOPPER
12-09-2008, 07:11 AM
ya man replace the tim on nb & sb & mosfets some boards are made on a monday ya know lol

and eye quit using the oc panel on the aegis because of the same problums ;)

NCspecV81
12-09-2008, 11:12 AM
chipset is getting too hot. Disabling cores lowers FSB traffic, and thereby heat. I used to get this same thing before pulling apart teh chipset heatsink and replacing the TIM...the stock cooler is rather horribly done.

I'm not changing the NB or SB voltages at all.. Just the CPU voltage. Still think it's the chipset?

cadaveca
12-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Firstly, you said yourself whenever you change NB or cpu votlage...

But to answer your question:

No, but most likely the heatsink isn't making proper contact.

BTW, thread reads "cpu and NB voltage crashing...", but any way, the problem, in the end, is the same....

NCspecV81
12-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Firstly, you said yourself whenever you change NB or cpu votlage...

But to answer your question:

No, but most likely the heatsink isn't making proper contact.

BTW, thread reads "cpu and NB voltage crashing...", but any way, the problem, in the end, is the same....

could it still be a contact issue if the cpu is reading -45c?

cadaveca
12-09-2008, 11:51 AM
yesii was refereing to PWM heatsink. it seems that although the board is capable of high votlages, they are not very smooth unless the entire board has excellent cooling.

I run 1.675v into chipset, and on air, barely top 45c. when I got the board, 1.4v would run 65c...

So verify that all phases on pwm have sufficient contact.

I DO NOT have these issues any more, after dealing with the cooling.

NCspecV81
12-09-2008, 12:10 PM
yesii was refereing to PWM heatsink. it seems that although the board is capable of high votlages, they are not very smooth unless the entire board has excellent cooling.

I run 1.675v into chipset, and on air, barely top 45c. when I got the board, 1.4v would run 65c...

So verify that all phases on pwm have sufficient contact.

I DO NOT have these issues any more, after dealing with the cooling.

I will probably reseat tonight, just not a possibility right now. I really dread pulling the water off the NB.

This thing here gets SUPER hot. It's located behind the NB and it's labeled 2R0.

http://www.overclock.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2r0heat.jpg

CPU, System, and NB temps

http://www.overclock.net/gallery/data/500/medium/phasewatertemp.jpg

NCspecV81
12-12-2008, 05:45 PM
like wth guys!?

http://www.overclock.net/gallery/data/500/medium/boardmessedup.JPG

cadaveca
12-12-2008, 06:54 PM
wow, sure you don't have condensation?:rofl:

seriously tho, seems your board doesn't like cold. If that one part if very hot, get a ehatsink and a fan in the area...could be the difference in temps screwing with you...I dunno...

NCspecV81
12-12-2008, 09:32 PM
wow, sure you don't have condensation?:rofl:

seriously tho, seems your board doesn't like cold. If that one part if very hot, get a ehatsink and a fan in the area...could be the difference in temps screwing with you...I dunno...

would condensation cause this? I'm pretty sure I didn't, but you never know. I'm on air now anyways tho.

Xello
12-13-2008, 05:39 AM
May not be the problem but the NB temps when i got dual 4870x2's went up significantly, 10-15c difference at times.