PDA

View Full Version : Destroyer Questions

Chris_redfield
12-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi, I'm a big fan of the Foxconn Quantum Force motherboards and am really enticed by the Destroyer to play with while I wait and decide about i7.

I already have a 9850 but it struggles with stability over 2.9GHz on a 790FX motherboard with the SB750 so I fear that it may have further problems without the ACC function. I think I read somewhere that the destroyer supports this but I can't be sure so was wondering if this was the case.

I realise that I have a pants 9850 (it doesn't like a high multiplier, and each tiny increase in the Hyper Transport requires a vast increase in voltage which means that it struggles with temperature. Rather strangely I have noticed that after about twenty minutes half an hour at the CPU being over 55 degrees, the third core starts to fail.) Though at the moment I don't really want to replace the 9850 with a 9950 as I would rather just wait for Deneb. So will the Destroyer be compatible with AMD's upcoming CPU's?

Has anyone compared the overclocking abilities of this board against the Foxconn, Asus, or DFI 790FX boards with the SB750?

Has anyone tried it with a Kuma CPU?

And what kind of benchmarks are people getting with one of these bad boys and three 9800GTX +?

I realise I'm asking a barrage of questions here but I've been tempted by one of these motherboards for a while but I'm flat broke at the moment and really need to convince myself that I need one of these over a Crosshair 2.

FatAlbert
12-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Hi, I'm a big fan of the Foxconn Quantum Force motherboards and am really enticed by the Destroyer to play with while I wait and decide about i7.

I already have a 9850 but it struggles with stability over 2.9GHz on a 790FX motherboard with the SB750 so I fear that it may have further problems without the ACC function. I think I read somewhere that the destroyer supports this but I can't be sure so was wondering if this was the case.

I realise that I have a pants 9850 (it doesn't like a high multiplier, and each tiny increase in the Hyper Transport requires a vast increase in voltage which means that it struggles with temperature. Rather strangely I have noticed that after about twenty minutes half an hour at the CPU being over 55 degrees, the third core starts to fail.) Though at the moment I don't really want to replace the 9850 with a 9950 as I would rather just wait for Deneb. So will the Destroyer be compatible with AMD's upcoming CPU's?

Has anyone compared the overclocking abilities of this board against the Foxconn, Asus, or DFI 790FX boards with the SB750?

Has anyone tried it with a Kuma CPU?

And what kind of benchmarks are people getting with one of these bad boys and three 9800GTX +?

I realise I'm asking a barrage of questions here but I've been tempted by one of these motherboards for a while but I'm flat broke at the moment and really need to convince myself that I need one of these over a Crosshair 2.

Destroyer doesn't support acc like others mbs on nforce 780a for this moment.

Deneb will work o it.

acc gave x00 mhz but when you rise it for multiplier not for htt.

ad.3sli

I haven't got access to three card and that strong psu for this :D

Chris_redfield
12-07-2008, 09:52 AM
So ACC is only of benefit if you are OC'ing through the multiplier?

Hmm... in that case then ACC is very little benefit to me as my 9850 is incapable of achieving a stable 24/7 overclock with a multiplier higher than 14.5

I have been playing with my Phenom a bit more today and I have been rewarded by a stable 24/7 OC of 3.1 as opposed to the 2.9GHZ it has previously been sat at. If I raise the htt above 5mhz with a multi of 13.5, 14, 15, 15.5 then it is unstable. At 15.5 it becomes highly unstable at 16 and higher if I raise the htt it may not get into windows and is possible it wont even post. However with the multi at 14.5 I have so far managed to raise the htt to 215 (might be able to acheive higher I am still testing.) My temps are beginning to get toasty so am just re-arranging some fans.

If the ACC is no benefit to anything other than raising the multiplier I'll buy the destroyer in a week or two as my current Phenom should be fine without ACC and the Phenom II's look like they don't need the extra help the SB750 has given the current generation. I wont miss playing with the ACC function in the BIOS either, as I managed to bork my install of windows when I turned all values to +8. Thats the first time I have ever managed to mess up my OS through OC'ing.

Cheers for the help fatalbert.

FatAlbert
12-07-2008, 12:46 PM
as Sayaa said, nvidia told about acc and nforce 780a couple days after foxconn started mass production of the destroyer it was little not fair in my opinion.

But destroyer is a good mb and I think if you sell your cpu and buy new one it will be better for you and new board, your current cpu sucks, imo :D

if you will have issues with it I try help you ;)

Chris_redfield
12-08-2008, 06:00 AM
Cheers man. I'll pick up a destroyer within the next couple of weeks and I'll probably end up posting a ton of noobish questions.

Yeah my CPU sucks :horse: I don't really want to swap it at the moment though as I want get a Deneb CPU. I might pick up a BE dualie from somewhere though to play with in the mean time.

uwackme
12-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Prepping for the Phemon II 940, will Destroyer be able to handle it? Will Foxconn release a new BIOS for the new CPUs?

I've had the C51XEM2AA for many moons, good board but now recent BIOS upgrades, making me uneasy about Foxconn's ongoing support for boards.

Also, they used the stupid Riktek 9715 as the Vddr voltage regulator... just like DFI's NF4 boards... and it sucks and is holding back the memory max overclock.

So, what does the Destroyer use for the memory voltage regulators? What kind of performance are people getting out of it for memory clocks?

FatAlbert
12-11-2008, 02:41 PM
phenom II + destroyer = ok. probably we will see new bios for P2.

Max mem voltage is about 3.3/3.4 so I think it doesn't holding back max clock or sth like that.

I saw 600 cl5-4-4-12 @ 2.5 on crucial lanfest