PDA

View Full Version : Which fan for 2200+

Blood666
08-01-2002, 12:22 AM
I'm actually at 71°C with a volcano 9 fan on my cpu and Artic Silver III and my room is at 22°C.
So for sure when heavy loaded it grow to 85°C :mad:
My question is which is the best fan for this kind of CPU ?
Thanks for your help.

JBELL
08-01-2002, 12:25 AM
WELCOME TO THE SICKNESS

volcano 9?? are you sure there?

TBREDs create a lot of heat - almost to the point that NO air cooler will really benefit it - you should consider water or phase change cooling for it

.... *edit* and at 71C you really shouldn't be runnign that chip!! yoru close to frying it.

IFMU
08-01-2002, 12:29 AM
omg, a few things here.
1st, What are you using to read the temps?
2nd, Im not positive, but Im pretty sure that if you are running those temps, consider yourself a very lucky man. Im pretty sure thats fry temps there.
3rd, Welcome to the sickness.

IFMU :D

Blood666
08-01-2002, 12:36 AM
I contacted AMD about this temperature and they said that 71°C is OK, limit is at 85°C.

This temperature is reported by my mobo Giga-byte GA-7VRXP.

And U do you have this CPU if yes which cooling solution are you using ?

IFMU
08-01-2002, 12:41 AM
Heh, well Im not to sure if Id like having that temp, that is way freakin high in my opinion.
And no, theres no way I could afford a CPU like that. Im a po mo fo here. What program are you using to report the temps? Motherboard monitor? or something from GA?

Blood666
08-01-2002, 12:44 AM
This temperature is reported in the bios of the mobo so this is an idle system temp.

IFMU
08-01-2002, 01:00 AM
Ok few things I would check.
1 ~ Is the HSF set correctly? Is it making good contact with the CPU Die? This could cause serious heat issues.
2 ~ I would get Mother board Monitor from here (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) and use it, it normally keeps pretty good temp measurements overall. In the pic below it will show what settings you need to use for it to read right.
3 ~ Have you lapped the HS? That can make all the difference in the world. Trust me, after lapping, I had a temp drop of over 5 degrees C.
4 ~ I would get MBM 5. And see what kind of temps that gives you. If its reading, high, then I would start checkin into other options.

Blood666
08-01-2002, 01:09 AM
1) Yep the hsf is correctly plugged onto the cpu.
2) Yes i already found this tool but not used it yet.
3) What you mean by "Have you lapped the HS" ? Sorry for my english.
4) I suppose the result will be the same as the mobo bios report ?

IFMU
08-01-2002, 01:15 AM
Its possible that it could get the same result as what your bios is giving you, but maybe not. It might be able to read the temp better than the bios. It can happen. heh.
Ok, lapping the hs is basiclly making sure that it is flat. See pic?
Now in 1 you see how the bottom is flat? that would be a nice lapped heatsink. Now, see 2? where its not so flat? Its slightly rounded? Well there its not making the contact it should with the CPU which will cause temps to be much higher than needed or wanted.
Now just so yea know, in the pic, the big blocks are the heatsink fans, and the small ones on bottom are the CPU and the die, where the light grey is ASIII or whatever.

Blood666
08-01-2002, 01:19 AM
Thanks for your funny drawing ;) now i understand better your question but how can i control that the heatsink is correctly lapped ?
From my external point of view ... it seem yes, and also due to the pressure need to plug the fan i hope so ;)

IFMU
08-01-2002, 01:27 AM
heh, no probs man, sometimes its easier to understand with a picture. Ok, first yes, pressure is a key, if its not making good contact, then as said before, not good cooling.
Next, the best way to see if its a nice flat surface, take it off the CPU, clean it up, and get some sandpaper, I personally say for now to use about 600 grit and wet sand the heatsink some.
To explain, you take the hsf off the system,
1 ~ Take the fans off, anything that could get damaged when wet.
2 ~ Get the sandpaper, and a bowl and an area where you can sand and let it get slightly dirty without causing damage to anything. (ie not your living room floor!)
3 ~ Next take a nice flat peice of glass or something you know is flat and get the paper slightly wet and run the bottom of the hs on it several times until you can see where the sandpaper sanded on the metal base some.
Once youve got this, then take a look at it. if the bottoms scratches are touching the entire base, then it doesnt need to be lapped, its good.
However, if you see scratches around the sides only, then its curved. Then just keep sanding it until you see the entire base has the scratches and then dry it off and your good to go.

Well if yea need anymore help just post it up. But I wont be able to do anything more until tomorrow, heh, I need to get to sleep.
Lates and Luck
IFMU

Blood666
08-01-2002, 01:36 AM
Ok so i can tell that my hs is correctly lapped
Thanks again ;) have a good night.

Blood666
08-02-2002, 03:21 AM
Problem solved, i plugged the fan in the wrong side shame on me but just for informatiion on my motherboard i can plug the volcano9 in the wrong side without "apparent" problem.
Thanks to those who help me UFMI for example who put me in the right direction.