PDA

View Full Version : HORRIBLE Raidmax PSU Needs Serious help....Pics Inside-Help....

Kunaak
10-18-2003, 05:42 PM
I got this quite sometime ago, but rarely use it, now it's my only back up PSU for a few days and I need to mod it, my new A64 PC is barely overclockable cause the rails and everything are just sooo screwed up...

this PSU is completly unmodded, but I am going to buy somestuff to mod it tonight.

take a look at the 3.3 and 12 volt lines, that pic here is under load with super PI, it gets even worse with almost anything 3d...

Kunaak
10-18-2003, 05:54 PM
heres the PSU under no load.

I will take pics of it later...
gotta go eat.

ctgilles
10-20-2003, 08:32 AM
I found ASUS Probe FUBARing readings a lot, maybe install MBM or something to be really sure?

RuKK
10-20-2003, 10:21 AM
..or a multimeter. heh.

xDUCK
10-20-2003, 10:43 AM
I daresay your Vdimm is being read as 3.3v? Methinks the motherboard's (or PSU's) under-volt protection would kick in with such a horrible undervolt. Not to mention your 3.3v-dependent voltages would be incapable of going over 2.8v (namely, vdimm). ;)

Kunaak
10-20-2003, 11:27 AM
it's already been measured with my FLuke True RMS 77 Multimeter. the readings are right :(

XDuck, I don't know what you just said...
I wish I had a Vdimm to 3.3 volts but this board only goes to 2.8 volts max and Asus boards don't report the Vdimm voltages anyways :(

xDUCK
10-20-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Kunaak
it's already been measured with my FLuke True RMS 77 Multimeter. the readings are right :(

XDuck, I don't know what you just said...
I wish I had a Vdimm to 3.3 volts but this board only goes to 2.8 volts max and Asus boards don't report the Vdimm voltages anyways :(

Basically, I think your motherboard is reporting Vdimm as 3.3v... So 2.8v is not your 3.3v line, it's your Vdimm line. IIRC, a line of Epox boards had the exact same problem. Now that you say 2.8v is the max vdimm (and I assume you have it set to that :)), I'm pretty much certain your "3.3v" is actually your vdimm. Your 3.3v is probably fine. ;)

Kunaak
10-20-2003, 02:19 PM
Asus Boards don't display the Vdimm voltage, just Vcore.
plus the voltage doesn't change from setting different Vdimm voltages, like 2.6 or 2.7...

plus the PSU was tested with no motherboard and it was the same barely above 2.9 at best...

xDUCK
10-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Asus Boards don't display the Vdimm voltage, just Vcore.
plus the voltage doesn't change from setting different Vdimm voltages, like 2.6 or 2.7...

plus the PSU was tested with no motherboard and it was the same barely above 2.9 at best...

Alright, fair enough. Looks like your PSU really is a POS. :D

Poki
10-20-2003, 05:06 PM
I'm disappointed Kunaak, i came into this thread thinking i'd see a pic of a smashed up psu... You know...Some deranged individual with teeth gritted standing over a sheetmetal carcus.
Hehe, guess it 'twernt as ad as i thought :p:

isp
10-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Poki
I'm disappointed Kunaak, i came into this thread thinking i'd see a pic of a smashed up psu... You know...Some deranged individual with teeth gritted standing over a sheetmetal carcus.
Hehe, guess it 'twernt as ad as i thought :p:

If Kunaak can't get it modded to some respectable rails, you might have your sheetmetal carcus fetish come true! :p: :D

Kunaak
10-20-2003, 06:40 PM
I can't mod it, I don't see any 3.3 volt sensor line, just the plain old 3.3 volt line, no thin line :(

but then again, I am not sure I even understand how to mod a PSU...

xDUCK
10-20-2003, 08:09 PM
I can't mod it, I don't see any 3.3 volt sensor line, just the plain old 3.3 volt line, no thin line :(

but then again, I am not sure I even understand how to mod a PSU...

The principle of it is that you are basically "stealing" some power (it just goes down a ground :)) from the feedback (aka sensor) line, so the PSU thinks it is sending less voltage than it should be, so it sends more. The more you "steal", the more the PSU sends. :)

Kunaak
10-20-2003, 09:59 PM
I have 4 different readings now...

BIOS, SPeedfan,Asus Probe and my Multimeter...

each reports the 12 volt line different.

MM, nope I have a Antec True control 550 here in this PC now, I had to gut my prometeia for it, so my poor P4 is just sitting there at 4 ghz running seti all day with the crappy PSU.