PDA

View Full Version : acceptable temp for a mobile GPU??

moose517
12-05-2008, 06:48 PM
got a question guys, tonight for some reason my laptop GPU is running at around 95c, its a 9500m GS, is that way to hot to take the chance with it, earlier i was checking emails and the screen was showing major artifracting. What is the max temp for them. BTW the laptop is an asus g1sn-a1, the GPU is connected to the CPU's heatpipe but the CPU is still running at only 55 which is about normal for it. Any ideas?

Martijn
12-06-2008, 11:46 AM
If it is on the same heatsink, it can only be bad contact. I had the same issues in my own laptop. After remounting with different thermal paste I managed to get 70C load temps instead of 100C+.

Then again, 95C shouldn't really be an issue for modern GPUs, but if it's bad contact it could well be that a part of the chip is a lot hotter then that since it isn't in contact with the heatsink.

Hope this helps :up:

TRF-Inferno
12-07-2008, 08:11 PM
got a question guys, tonight for some reason my laptop GPU is running at around 95c, its a 9500m GS, is that way to hot to take the chance with it, earlier i was checking emails and the screen was showing major artifracting. What is the max temp for them. BTW the laptop is an asus g1sn-a1, the GPU is connected to the CPU's heatpipe but the CPU is still running at only 55 which is about normal for it. Any ideas?

There's a serious issue going on if your 9500M GS is running at 95C and artifacting, especially if you are just checking e-mails. Unless you're running a 3D application, it should only be at 50-60C. I would call ASUS and consult them about it, or if you trust yourself enough, open it up and see if the heatsink is making proper contact with the GPU die.

inCore
12-08-2008, 02:53 AM
My GPU idles at around 55 degrees in my Dell XPS M1210. I prefer not to tinker with my laptop, it's usually easier to rely on warranty with laptops.