PDA

View Full Version : Great First Phase Experience

eligray
12-05-2008, 05:35 PM
About 2 weeks ago, I stumbled upon a for-sale phase change unit online. Of course, the guy ended up being one of the members of this forum (Ruffus). He's been very helpful throughout this entire process, and even said that he'd take a lower price than i had offered to him!

He shipped out the unit right away, and included a bunch of stuff voluntarily that will help me out a lot (insulation, eraser, mounting backplate, nuts, bolts, dielectric grease, and even 2 temperature probes and an LCD display).

I just picked up the unit today, and haven't had a chance to do temperature testing yet, as my PC is broken ATM. I will be building a new e8500 + DFI p45 rig in the next few weeks. Although I haven't really done proper testing yet, I have turned it on for short periods of time, and it pulls down very fast. When i had last turned the unit on 1 hr ago and turned it back on, within ~10-15 secs of power on, it was getting frost on the evap from my breath.

Although I have not done proper testing as of yet, Ruffus has been very helpful, and this low price unit seems well made so far. He also did an amazing job on the acrylic case. Cell phone pic attached, more to come. I'd highly recommend talking to Ruffus if you're interested in a phase unit; his MSN is bradley122978@hotmail.com

Cheers

dinos22
12-05-2008, 05:38 PM
thats nice to hear man

10-15 seconds wow that is fast lol

mine takes a minute to start dropping the temps lol
i got a loud ass rotary hehehe

eligray
12-05-2008, 05:43 PM
thats nice to hear man

10-15 seconds wow that is fast lol

mine takes a minute to start dropping the temps lol
i got a loud ass rotary hehehe

haha nice. I forgot to mention that the unit is quieter than what i was expecting from a phase unit. There is only a little more noise than my computer made before I got a fan controller. (approximately the same as 2 120mm 2500rpm fans).

Ozzfest05
12-05-2008, 05:54 PM
thats good to hear Ruffus is a good guy and does a good job

killermiller
12-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Way to go Ruffus!

Grats on your purchase.

ruffus
12-06-2008, 10:56 AM
thanks guys for all the nice words. as well can't wait to see how it works on a computer as when i made this unit i built it for a guy in India and then when i had it done he stopped contacting me so i sold it on ebay. but when i had it on a load tester it held 200 watts@ -19c its not a top of the line system but i think for the little amount of money i charged him he should be happy with it so i am hoping to here it does good cpu temps. but a little upset that the shipping company did not take to good of care shipping it even thought it had fragile and this side up all over it. the case was cracked when he got it so i offered to ship him out some plexi glue or even contact the shipping company to see if i could get then to replace the case. so as of right now this case issue is still up in the air on what we will do but now madder what i will do my best to make him happy

teyber
12-06-2008, 12:35 PM
hey dude that frame looks great. what did you do to assemble the frame? weld then grind it?

Lu523
12-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Sounds like a nice unit. I may have to get a price from Ruffus.

piotres
12-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Ruffus please show us more pics of unit plus specs in vapo section ! :D

eligray
12-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Ruffus please show us more pics of unit plus specs in vapo section ! :D

I'll be posting results with the unit very soon, got my new mobo (DFI DK p45 T2RS plus) and my new GPU (ASUS TOP Radeon 4850) in yesterday, just need a CPU, which I'll get as soon as my local Fry's has its insane deals (do I hear 155 bundle with a ECS mobo?) Probably an e8500 out there destined to meet with my unit.

But for now I get to go finish building my dad's new i7 rig. 5x 500gb 7200.11 HDD's, i7 920, 3 by 1gig ddr3 1600, etc. I love building computers :D

The insulation part is scaring me now though, will kneadable eraser work for daily use? Should I coat the mobo with anything on the back or just use straight insulation? No eraser on back? I know someone was gonna make a guide for this method. Thanks guys :)

Ozzfest05
12-12-2008, 09:02 PM
@ Eligray neoprene sheet on back of mobo or yes eraser will work but a thin neoprene sheet is more convenient for the mobo use kneaded eraser with neoprene cut out to match evap/mounting and for 24/7 use a dab of dielect grease in the socket that should be fine on my standards ive done quite a few subzero benches with no problems

ruffus
12-12-2008, 10:30 PM
@ Eligray here ya go man i sent it to your msn as well

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201916

eligray
12-20-2008, 12:04 AM
well I've been running into a bit of difficulties with floodback. I won't be back till monday. Hopefully I'm allowed to link to EOCF.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=309913

ruffus
12-24-2008, 11:45 AM
well we have worked out most of it worked out but yes i did put a tad to much r507 in it for his cpu and we are still working on things

eligray
01-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Everything has been taken care of, and Ruffus has been a great help. I can now fully appreciate the careful work he has put into this unit.

Ozzfest05
01-25-2009, 07:04 PM
thats good to hear, you icing it up now...

eligray
01-25-2009, 08:14 PM
broke 5ghz with 556x9, CPU-z read 5011mhz. Took 1.525v, I really don't know how good that is considering I don't know my real temps.

Hit 9.266s SP1M :)

I'm going to try dice with my 1/3lb 3" tall pot b4 I make the final decision on what pot i'm going to buy :D

EDIT: and I did end up with an e8500, I got an E0 :)