PDA

View Full Version : Hose Clamps, Non-Perf or Lined?

Stuey
12-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Which do you think would be better suited for 5/8" or 3/4" OD tubing? Non-perforated hose clamps, or lined ones?

Okay, so I'm ordering spring hose clamps for one system, and hose clamps for another.

Right now I have zip ties and regular clamps on my tubing, and *knock on wood* nothing bad has happened, but I'm moving to somewhat softer tubing.

Thanks!

pby5cat
12-04-2008, 06:27 PM
I have worked with perferated clamps, though the non-perf may not go all the way though there still is an indentation, and the tubing will fill any gap once clamped. So id say lined ones, but make shure they can be adjusted small enough to provide pressure.

MpG
12-04-2008, 07:05 PM
I've always used Tygon 3603 (soft) with regular hose clamps. Puncturing/tearing the tubing is only an issue if you seriously overtighten the clamps. The tubing is softer, but that also means you don't need quite as much pressure to make them seal against the hose barbs. For zip ties, a lot of people recommend them in pairs, with the clinch points opposite each other on the tubing.

Aberration
12-04-2008, 08:48 PM
I double my zipties, the hose tends to pinch at the knot, and 2 corrects this.

Stuey
12-05-2008, 05:22 AM
I double my zipties, the hose tends to pinch at the knot, and 2 corrects this.
That sounds like a good idea. Still, I might just use spring clamps where I can (on 5/8" + tubing) and your two zip-tie method on 1/2" OD tubing.

jtf2
12-05-2008, 06:18 AM
i have always used the perforated hose clamps.
i just put a layer of black electrical tape where the clamp sits on the tubing!!

Sparky
12-05-2008, 07:27 AM
I'm using non-lined clamps and never had any issues. The trick is to not overtighten, just tighten the clamp until it starts to resist and then stop, that's all the farther it needs to go. I use a small handled screwdriver to keep leverage down to be sure I can feel it snug up.

Stuey
12-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Points well taken! So, I'm scrapping the lined vs. non-perf options entirely. I'll just stick with zip ties, normal worm drives, and spring clamps.

Thanks for your opinions!

SiGfever
12-06-2008, 09:00 AM
For worm-gear clamps the non-perf are much easier on the tubing and would be my recommendation. I have found that 7/16" tubing dipped in boiled water for several seconds (easies the installation and seals the barbs as it cools) and then put on 1/2" barbs held with small zipties are more than sufficient.