PDA

View Full Version : New to WC'ing question.....

Humminn55
12-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi y'all!

I'm trying to set up a watercooling system for the first time. I've done a lot of lurking here and reading and have just about finished buying most of my parts, but want to make sure that what I've chosen for parts are decent enough for what I'm going to try to do......while I can still return parts to the store.

The computer parts consist of a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz @ 1.45V, 8GB DDR2 RAM, ATI 4870 video card, Asus Maximus Formula motherboard, and the other various and sundry necessary bits 'n' pieces, like a Corsair HX620 power supply.

The W/C'ing parts I've got already are:

A DDC 3.2 pump and an XSPC reservoir top for it

A Swiftech GTZ cpu block

An EK S-Max Northbridge block

A Feser XChanger 240 rad and a Thermochill 120.1 radiator (You may ask why the two different rads of differing brands and sizes. Found both on clearance in a MicroCenter for $49/ea, so just couldn't pass up either. So, am trying to use both, and thankfully, the 240 + 120 just happen to fit neater than a 360 would.)

3/8" x 5/8" Primochill tubing with DD FB barbs throughout, except on the TC rad, obviously....that'll have 3/8" EK barbs on it.

The loop will run as: pump --> XChanger rad --> GTZ block --> TC 120.1 rad --> S-Max NB block --> reservoir

I hope to add an EK full cover block to the video card (darn the fan's loud, even at 60%!!!), and have the room to add another single TC or Feser into my case to help with that.

Any changes y'all would make? Suggestions?

And thanks!!!

YMAA
12-04-2008, 01:59 PM
What case will you be using?

Everything looks good, except I'd switch to 1/2" tubing for the flow rate. And I like Bitspower barbs, they've got a slightly wider ID (also for better flow rate) and also come in G3/8. Use them on my rig and love them. Good choice on the NB block, 8 sticks of RAM with a high-clocked quad puts a lot of stress on the northbridge.