PDA

View Full Version : Final questions before I pull the trigger

soulesschild
12-03-2008, 02:05 PM
I know I've asked alot of questions, but I want to get things right and not have a major catastrophe that will put me off of WC forever :D Here's the initial part list.

Part list:
Case: ATCS 840
Rad: MCR320 with med yate loons
Pump: MCP355 vs MCP655 vario? Of course the MCP355 will need a custom top, was thinking the XPSC res top, if not, someone please recommend me one or the other.
CPU Block: Swiftech GTZ
NB Block: No idea
SB Block: No idea
GPU Block: XPSC Razor 4870x2
Res: If needed, Swiftech Micro-Res v2
Tubing: 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Duralene Tubing
Compression Fittings: Buncha bitspower ones
Clamps: Worm drive clamps or whenever evil releases his clamps, hint hint ;)
Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze 5.25 Bay Aluminum Fan Controller

What I'm cooling:
OCed Q9550
Asus Rampage (NON WC EDITION)
4870x2

The Plan:
Initially, I don't have the 4870x2 ATM so you can discount that from the loop. Not sure if I want to WC the NB/SB yet as I'm sort of tight on funds and I got the MCR320 with the fans used for about 55 shipped :)

I was thinking that once I added in the 4870x2, I'd probably have to add a dual rad, so that would be the MCR240 with med yates.

Right now the most expensive thing is probably all those damn compression fittings T_T.

The Questions:
1. What NB/SB blocks on a budget would you recommend? If there is no good performing blocks on budget, just say so and I'll budget for them later in the year aka after a few paychecks ;)
2. Will I need to replace any barbs on the rads/cpu block/pump
3. What pump top for the MCP355? I was considering between the Bitspower one and the XPSC one. Does the extra price justify anything at all? It does look like the Bitspower one comes with fittings already while I would need to buy fittings for the XPSC top
4. What pump if not the MCP355 /w custom top
5. Are these (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8099/ex-tub-423/Bitspower_Ultimate_G_14_Thread_12_ID_x_34_OD_Compr ession_Fitting_-_18_Walled_Tubing.html?tl=g30c101s179) the right compression fittings to use?
6. If replacing barbs, what do I need to make them work with said compression fittings?
7. Any issues that you guys can see?
8. Do I need mosfet cooling/fans if I have enough airflow? I know the BP has like full on water coverings for like everything on the RAmpage extreme but that's probably not in my budget for now =[
9. Thanks for reading and dealing with a WC noob :)

Linchpin
12-03-2008, 02:19 PM
1. Last time I checked they all cost roughly the same amount and perform roughly the same as well(don't quote me on that though)
2. Well if you intend to run compression fittings then you'll just use the compressions instead of the barbs.
3. XSPC Res Top .
5. Yes they are.
6. Compression fittings replace barbs so you don't need to do anything to with the barbs.
7. You don't need clamps if you're going to use compressions, also if you're on a bit of budget it's not really neccessary to watercool your NB, SB and Mosfets. You can also use 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs if you don't want to blow money on compressions.
8. Yes you do, if you do decide to get NB and SB blocks you can always buy some Thermalright coolers for the mosfets instead of blocks to save some cash.

Hope that helps.

soulesschild
12-03-2008, 02:27 PM
The Rampage mosfets already have like Asus's own like copper heat sinks for them. I guess the right question would be would I need EXTRA fans blowing on them? I could probably rig some antec spot cools or something if necessary. It's a pain not knowing if their hot or not or if they need more cooling =[

soulesschild
12-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Okay another question, here's the hardware list I bought from sidewinder I wanted to just make one big order rather than a buncha orders from petra,

Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreme Performance Waterblock [remove]

Swiftech MCP355 12v DC Pump [remove]

XSPC Acrylic Reservoir for Laing DDC [remove]

* Choose your fittings : x2 Bitspower 1/2in. Compression Fittings for 3/4in. OD Tubing (+13.00)

Durelene PVC tubing 1/2in. ID x 3/4in. OD by Saint-Gobain [remove]

KwikCut Advance SL100SS Stainless Steel Tube Cutter - Black [remove]

Bitspower 1/2in. Compression Fittings for 3/4in. OD Tubing [remove]

Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound - 4 Gram Syringe [remove]

Now I figure I'd run distilled water, though still undecided on maybe just some fluid, is this any good?

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/feaqfaulpuwa.html

Was thinking of buying some petra kill coils and some of the PT nuke, but wasn't sure exactly which nuke. There's two types, the normal PT nuke and a PhN one, Ph neutral? Which one do I use?

Linchpin
12-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Don't waste your money on all those Feser coolants that claim to perform better than distilled when they actually performs worse and cost way more. Distilled + silver coils or PT Nuke(not sure what the difference is between the old and new PT nuke) is cheap, performs well and doesn't gunk your blocks. If you want some colour you can always buy some coloured tubing, if you absolutely need pretty colours in your res then the Feser One coolant is the only one I've heard doesn't start separating after a couple of weeks.

HuffPCair
12-04-2008, 03:41 AM
I am getting that case too cant wait. Let us know how it works out for ya

cdnbum88
12-04-2008, 05:06 AM
I am justing cooling my 9950BE and just ordered the XSPC Razor for my 4870x2 from Sidewinder along with a NB cooling unit.

I will use a low profile Enzotech on the SB since I don;t think you really need WC for that. Also will use some Enzotech heatsinks for the mosfet or maybe will get a Thermalright HR-09. Get a 120mm and put in one of my bays and blow across the board.

I agree on adding the MCR220 for the GPU. I am adding one with the above stuff to go along with my MCR320.

I bought the Feser fittings because they look and work great...but barbs are just as good for a fraction of the price and if you have a budget...easy place to save and can always upgrade later if you want.

Happy shopping.

soulesschild
12-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Well, ordered all my stuff minus fluid and PT nuke until Petra or someone else explains which one to get. Still undecided on whether I want NB cooling. Probably throw a fan on it and see how the temps look.

Linchpin
12-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Well, ordered all my stuff minus fluid and PT nuke until Petra or someone else explains which one to get. Still undecided on whether I want NB cooling. Probably throw a fan on it and see how the temps look.

The stock cooling is perfectly fine most of the time especially if you replace the thermal paste.

Polizei
12-04-2008, 09:14 AM
You might have problems cooling all that on an MCR320. They're great radiators, but it might not work wonders with a Q9550 and a 4870X2.

soulesschild
12-04-2008, 09:21 AM
You might have problems cooling all that on an MCR320. They're great radiators, but it might not work wonders with a Q9550 and a 4870X2.

Once I get around to buying a 4870x2, I'll be adding a MCR240 :P

Polizei
12-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Once I get around to buying a 4870x2, I'll be adding a MCR240 :P

You would be just fine. So the MCR320 is just for the CPU now?