PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Rampage II Extreme Sets Core i7 OC Record

mascaras
12-02-2008, 01:54 PM
ASUS Rampage II Extreme Sets Core i7 OC Record

The release of the Intel Core i7 has set the overclocking arena abuzz with excitement in anticipation of new world records. Armed with the ASUS ROG Rampage II Extreme motherboard that supports the newest Intel platform, the Japanese overclocking enthusiast duck smashed to the top of the overclocking charts and notched in a world record for Core i7 CPU frequencies. Recording an exceptional score of 5510.09 MHz, duck clearly laid down the gauntlet for future challengers to the throne. A CPU overclocking veteran, duck still holds the world’s highest frequency for overclocking a Pentium 4 631 CPU to a staggering 8180.4MHz last year.

The new world record was in no small part thanks to the overclocking-oriented features found on the new Rampage II Extreme motherboard. TweakIt, an easy-to-use joystick-like control on the motherboard, enables overclockers to make real-time changes to their systems’ core frequency, voltage and other parameters—even while the benchmark utility is running. At no point does software come into play, as the tweaking is completely hardware-based. With hassle-free tweaking, coupled with real-time LCD poster information such as system frequency, users can implement on-the-fly modifications during CPU tests for extraordinary benchmark scores. The validation can be found here (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=451336).

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/08-12-02/93a.png

http://www.techpowerup.com/77764/ASUS_Rampage_II_Extreme_Sets_Core_i7_OC_Record.htm l

regards

bowman
12-02-2008, 01:58 PM
190MHz reference clock, which basically can be done with every other X58 around. That's a good chip. See if it won't do that in pretty much all the other boards as well..

Oh yeah, I'm sure the little joystick and the flashing lights were absolutely instrumental to achieving this. How can they put stuff like this in print with a straight face? :ROTF:

Congrats to the OCer for the achievement, slap in ASUS' face for the silly press release.

STaRGaZeR
12-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the PR paragraph :lol:

I'm still not buying it sorry ;)

Ozzfest05
12-02-2008, 03:17 PM
I know the press release is pointing at all the wrong things like tweak it which he more then likely did not use rather then looking at that 16 phase hybrid power phase and great bios support however just like his smaller brother the rampage is a force to be reckoned with especially in future bios revisions

soundood
12-02-2008, 03:24 PM
its got to be true, i read it at fudzilla earlier.

RPGWiZaRD
12-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Well it's duck, if any1 would reach such crazy clock it would be him, always full of surpises. :D

ownage
12-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Duck is not a stranger, so probably is true. I don't see why it wouldn't :D

G0ldBr1ck
12-02-2008, 03:54 PM
has Francoise and Fugger past that yet? Seems like if they had 5ghz on air days ago they would by now

T_Flight
12-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Congrats Asus and Duck! Great Board, Great OC'ing. We'll be seeing many more of these out of this board.

villa1n
12-02-2008, 04:02 PM
any word on the volts?

Ozzfest05
12-02-2008, 05:35 PM
has Francoise and Fugger past that yet? Seems like if they had 5ghz on air days ago they would by now

If you have been following the Core I7 most of the high overclock are set at 1.5 volts max which is achievable on high end water Ln2 barely offers any gains over other methods of cooling compared to previous gens not only that but most Ln2 benches were only at -20 as higher volts and lower temps did not improve oc these things clock well on air and H20 almost no need at all to even tamper with Ln2 with these chips...yet

Nasgul
12-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the PR paragraph :lol:

I'm still not buying it sorry ;)

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=451336

It's quite obvious that seeing those speeds are not what you'd usually see in the other camp but it's the normal and usual for an Intel CPU. Welcome to yesterday.

Mk
12-02-2008, 05:57 PM
How this record FUGGER did 5.7ghz
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209181

Ozzfest05
12-02-2008, 06:52 PM
How this record FUGGER did 5.7ghz
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209181

I dont think thats official fugger had a cherry picked chip from intel 1 in a million
that wouldnt be fair to hold a record on like hwbot and so on the way I see it a record should be you went to the store and bought a chip the average joe could get if not that is eliminating all competition no disrespect but if intel sends a cherry picked chip to all in north america for free I bet they would be a new record everyday by some average joe

Asgard_thor
12-02-2008, 07:00 PM
I dont think thats official fugger had a cherry picked chip from intel 1 in a million
that wouldnt be fair to hold a record on like hwbot and so on the way I see it a record should be you went to the store and bought a chip the average joe could get if not that is eliminating all competition no disrespect but if intel sends a cherry picked chip to all in north america for free I bet they would be a new record everyday by some average joe

A record is a record..

T_Flight
12-02-2008, 07:13 PM

It's quite obvious that seeing those speeds are not what you'd usually see in the other camp but it's the normal and usual for an Intel CPU. Welcome to yesterday.

shhhh, that's a secret. :D

STaRGaZeR
12-03-2008, 03:00 AM

I was talking about the RIIE, not about Intel, "the other camp" or whatever ;)

Viss
12-03-2008, 03:21 AM
Congrats Duck :up: it was a matter of time.

Vinas
12-03-2008, 05:29 AM

A record is a record, regardless of the pool of CPUs it was picked from. I'd expect those trying for a world record would be picking the CPU from a rather large pool. I mean if you gave me Ducks CPU/MB/Cooling setup I'd hit those speeds too. But the point is, not all of us have access to this equipment or thing would be a lot more interesting.

ghost_recon88
12-03-2008, 06:01 AM
I don't think FUGGER has a validation he's uploaded or made public yet. Probably doesn't want to give away the stepping, revision, and model of his gem :D

Rammsteiner
12-03-2008, 10:43 AM
:yawn::hm::fart:
If Intel didnt manage to get higher before, it's all cool but they did, so what's the big deal:rolleyes:

I'd me more impressed if they did like 7Ghz or so, or 6.5 for that matter:rolleyes:

So FUGGER, 1Ghz to go:p:

Chruschef
12-03-2008, 10:53 AM
I think its relatively simple.. a record, is a record. whether or not the chip is cherry picked from a million or a thousand chips, doesn't matter. it still happened, right?

I'm hearing all these horror stories of the high-temps of the Core i7 platform in the LC section, and you guys are saying that temperatures(like LN2, below -100*C) don't effect the performance of these chips? I would have thought cooling down an extra hot chip would have opened the door to unprecedented results and some crazy clocks. As this platform matures, and the BIOS's for motherboards mature, will it correct this? I would think better BIOS's will help, but it isn't going to give you the help you need to inch out all the way 6.5-7Ghz..

I agree that this article is a lot of marketing BS. There is no way that some joy stick interface makes the board clock higher than other boards, sure it adds cool points, and can be helpful here and there. It will never affect performance, other than making a motherboard BIOS slightly more complicated, and therefore slightly harder to make the BIOS optomized(ugh I can't spell this wth?) completely for performance.

Lastviking
12-03-2008, 11:08 AM
A record is a record..

That chip was a I7 XXX not 965 or something that can be buyed. Thats why Fugger have not upload any cpu-z or something on hwbot.

Yes its fastest I7 but not anything you can claim WR from becuse you dont know what model it is. Is it 925,940,965 or a 980 or something?

T_Flight
12-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Guys, please. Francois has satted mnay times that this CPU came from the line where all of our CPU's come from. It's just like any of the others out there except for this one was a freak of nature. It still came from the same runs of CPU's as the ones that are out there now. He said that somewhere out there there are others like it. They may be in somebody's computer right now. Normal User Billy Joe might have one in hios system and may not even be OC'ing it, or ever know it's a world record breaker. It's the luck of the draw. These are NOT special CPU's modified in any way for OC'ing. They did NOT diable anything on the CPU. All tests that were shown were not disabled in that video.

I don't know whether Fugger has listed that CPU or not, or whether he will at some point in the Future, and I'm not gonna second guess what he may or may not do.

What you guys fail to realize is this is nothing new. OC'er like Fugger are obviously highly skilled, and they have certain things they know that they are not gonna discuss for obvious reasons. There are also certain things that Fugger may or may not know through testing that he might not be able to discuss. Remember, there is a reason Intel gets people like Fugger to do these things. It's not just some stunt, it's research. The guy is a Master. People come to this forum from all over the world becasue of what he has built here, and they also like to see the amazing things he does. I have to give credit to him, he really does work some magic with these things.

If he were to go an post those scores (and he might, or he might not that's not my buisness) it's no different than anybody else. He has just as much right as anybody else does to post any scores he chooses if they follow the rules, and I'm 100% positive that Fugger follows the rules. Like I said, I'm not gonna second guess him. I just have respect for the guy because he has earned it and deserves it.

dduckquack
12-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Duck Sets Core i7 OC Record

fixed

Charles Wirth
12-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Grats Duck, nice speed.

Mine was not submitted for validation.

T_Flight it was what we all have done here, so many incrediblebly talented people make up XS.

Ozzfest05
12-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Guys, please. Francois has satted mnay times that this CPU came from the line where all of our CPU's come from. It's just like any of the others out there except for this one was a freak of nature.

No one is taking anything away from anyone all I was saying is simply from the threads created which fugger as well posted in said it was "cherry picked" and no one said other wise so that all I was saying was if it infact is a gem intel had hidden then it may not be posted as a record for that cpu.

If this is just a good cpu someone from intel was testing a couple and this one was crazy and decided to have a couple of beer with FUGGER and break a couple records then by all means power to you and you should post the record. and great job

Bojamijams
12-03-2008, 05:08 PM
190 Bclk?

Lol.

T_M
12-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Awesome clocks Duck with retail! WR is well deserved by you (as usual)!