PDA

View Full Version : New Cellphone

Bobsama
12-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi. Yeah--I'm basically looking for a phone on either Sprint (my current provider) or Verizon. Right now, I have decent service with Sprint, so I don't feel a particular need to switch. I'm looking primarily for touch-screen phones. Basically, budget is $200 absolute tops ($150 upgrade-cash with Sprint), and I'd prefer to spend as little as possible.

I still need to smooth some of the details out. I'm leaning most towards the Samsung Instinct and an Everything Data 450 plan.

Bigred1
12-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Hi. Yeah--I'm basically looking for a phone on either Sprint (my current provider) or Verizon. Right now, I have decent service with Sprint, so I don't feel a particular need to switch. I'm looking primarily for touch-screen phones. Basically, budget is $200 absolute tops ($150 upgrade-cash with Sprint), and I'd prefer to spend as little as possible.

I still need to smooth some of the details out. I'm leaning most towards the Samsung Instinct and an Everything Data 450 plan.

I use Verizon, and I just recently upgraded to the LG Dare full touch screen phone. I like it, has a media player,navigation, can browse the internet, has a 3.2 mp camera that actually take decent pictures. The service is great, ive been all over the united states with it have rarely ever lost service. Overall verizon and the phone have been great.

Bobsama
12-02-2008, 08:45 AM
I've taken a good bit more of a look around Verizon and Sprint. So far, I am leaning towards the LG Voyager or the Samsung Instinct. I don't know really--I have to discuss it more to figure out what's better.

Omastar
12-02-2008, 03:46 PM
BlackBerry Storm. :)

Bobsama
12-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Eh. I think I decided. I'll probably stay with Sprint, and get the Samsung Instinct. I looked over the features and the price per month--and it's most-competitive. I like the size and weight as well--it's only a little bit longer than my current RAZR V3m. I had a good look at my friend Rebecca's Voyager, and I have to say it's too heavy and too tall. That, and Verizon's plan will come out to be $5 more per month. I'm happy with my current Sprint service, and I don't use that much in the way of minutes.

Klarko
12-06-2008, 10:11 PM
the instinct is by far the best phone for sprint, im not sure about verizon though

Flip_Lx
12-07-2008, 11:30 AM
want a phone or ppc? the touch diamond is very nice but a lil over you $200 price (about $50ish more) how much is the everything 450 data plan your looking at? new sero starts at $60 for 500min +unlimited everything else

Bobsama
12-07-2008, 11:49 AM
What is "new sero"? I would prefer not to join a tiny network.

AliG
12-07-2008, 11:57 AM
I just got the palm centro for free through sprint, good phone for the price:p: Depends what you want, if you want a smart phone go with blackberry curve or samsung ace (I personally prefer the software layout of the ace more), if you want a phone phone, I'd either go with whatever's free or samsung instinct (the touch diamond is great if you can afford it)

AzraelDarkangel
12-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I hate buying high-end phones from carriers, they usually muck with the software anyway. I prefer unlocked phones. On Sprint the Touch Diamond and Touch Pro are the most advanced phones but they are kinda expensive. Asia has the best phones since they are all made there, we get the crappy models custom made for our carriers. The only issue being if you need the 850mhz band where you are or really want 3G to work in the USA. From what I understand the 850mhz band is primarly used away from town when 1900mhz is not available, however different carriers use different frequencies in different areas so it depends. The most advanced touch screen phone out is the HTC Touch HD:

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_touch_hd-2525.php

The Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 is close (also made by HTC):

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_x1-2246.php

And Nokia just announced the N97:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n97-2615.php

I don't think any of these are available from US carriers yet.

Bobsama
12-07-2008, 02:41 PM
I just got the palm centro for free through sprint, good phone for the price:p: Depends what you want, if you want a smart phone go with blackberry curve or samsung ace (I personally prefer the software layout of the ace more), if you want a phone phone, I'd either go with whatever's free or samsung instinct (the touch diamond is great if you can afford it)

General idea is I want a phone and music player--hopefully rolled in one. I did a quick bout of research and found the Instinct supports 8GB MicroSD cards, which will be able to "house" a good amount of music in MP3s. Other than that, the 3.5mm jack is nice and useful for a media phone.

pershoot
01-10-2009, 01:02 AM
if your staying on sprint, android powered phones may be coming this year.

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C16190/

im on a G1, rooted. love it!

Bobsama
02-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Well the deed has now been done, i got a samsung instinct. web on this is ok... keypad is a little hard to use but is still fine. I am typing with it now actually.

EDIT: Well that was short-lived. I returned it and went back to my old plan. In short, "when a phone, isn't."

Duh
03-02-2009, 05:45 PM
bob do you have a link of the phone you bought or the model of it?

EliTE22
03-02-2009, 09:24 PM
if u go verizon go for the samsung omnia great phone:D

Avan
03-03-2009, 07:07 AM
if u go verizon go for the samsung omnia great phone:D

This is the phone I will be getting probably next week. I have enough upgrade cash with verizon to get it for free. So I'm looking forward to messing around with it.

Bobsama
03-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I already got a new contract--and Verizon was too expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_instinct

:p:

In reality, I ended up returning the phone and going with what was free. I ran the numbers and it astonished me. I went from $45 pre-tax to $77 pre-tax. $32 more a month. Times that by 24 months and it's ~$750. We get a 25% discount, but even that just covers taxes. Add in the price of the phone ($130) and I'm looking at nearly $900. The good news is that I returned it and am saving that, at least until Q4 2009. At that time, the Canadian step-dad is going to move to the USA, so he's going to get the Samsung M320 instead. Right now, I'm contemplating buying a RAZR V3m (just like I had before) and using it till then. Better phone overall (which is ironic, because 27 months ago it was $20 more).

:up:

I'll hop on the next generation bandwagon; there's bound to be newer, faster, and better phones from HTC, Samsung, and everyone else. Don't get me wrong--I liked the Instinct, but I couldn't afford it when I considered that the only REAL advantage it had over my laptop was a touch-screen. Heck--I can even make phone calls on my laptop, but I'm limited by WiFi. So in a few months I'll step back up to a high-end phone. Till then, I'll be "happy" with a few hundred bucks more in my wallet.

luie
03-06-2009, 12:34 AM
If you go with Verizon, I would suggest Samsung Omnia.

I tried both BlackBerry Storm and Omnia, ending up with Omnia.

Omnia uses Windows Mobile.

Programs I have on it right now are:
Viigo
Windows Live
Google Map
Pandora
Tengo Free

The disanvantage with Verizon is that they locked the GPS. But for the Omnia, they said a new firmware will unlock it. They claim to release it sometime in 2009.

railmeat
03-06-2009, 12:51 AM

i second that ..:up:...im getting tmobiles version(non touch)8900...its $500 -$200 instant rebate = $300 -$100 mail in rebate =$200 and they spread the payments out for 4 months,only $50 a month extra to my bill...

Worthy
03-13-2009, 03:58 AM

Agreed.

There is no one who hates cellphones more than I do, but I was forced into a blackberry storm by my wife in december, and I have to say it's the best gadget I have ever layed hands on.

I use it for everything simply because everything is actually useable.
The web speeds are great, I have my corporate email, personal email, and a blackberry email account. I have web radio wherever I go, a massive portable storage device (well, 16 gigs is indeed massive for a phone), and I even use it as an alarm clock. I can handle excel, word docs, I think powerpoints too.
It has a complete calendar so you can set up appointments, reminders, blah blah blah...

It has very decent GPS nav, and all the popular IM programs as well.

The virtual keyboard takes a bit to get used to, but I find myself now writing emails with ease. Takes some time to figure out how the keyboard works, but it does indeed work well and you become very fast with it over time.

Even in situations where say, I am at home depot looking at something cool and want my wife to see what I see. No problem. I shoot a vid, and send it to her so she can see what I'm talking about. Takes seconds to send.

And I haven't even covered half of it.

I highly recommend this phone. Especially now that the apps available for it are starting to pop up everywhere.

I also recommend you get the unlimited data plan since you will use it far more than you will ever use the phone portion. And lastly the phone is actually really good too. Nice, loud and clear.

double thumbs up for being kickass, and because it's not already in a drawer collecting dust like most everything else I have become quickly bored with. Love this thing.:up:

[XC] leviathan18
03-16-2009, 08:26 AM
nokia e71

nokia n85

nokia n82

sudentassu
03-24-2009, 05:20 AM
I have the E71. Very happy with it, does everything I need to do, and more. Multiple email accounts, GPS positioning, word/excel, etc, calendar, radio, MP3 player, even has a girl who tells me what the weather is twice a day. Truly amazing piece of kit.