PDA

View Full Version : No Power?

Svenn
07-31-2002, 08:21 PM
I just got everything setup (specs in profile) and I went to power on.... and no power... I checked the plugs and the switches... what else could be wrong?

JBELL
07-31-2002, 09:15 PM
it isn't a koolance case is it?????

Svenn
07-31-2002, 09:19 PM
No, it's a custom modded case from loverme cases. The motherboard is getting power apparently as one of the leds is on and the motherboard manual says that means it's getting power (no way...)

JBELL
07-31-2002, 09:49 PM
dead cpu?

that was my prob

Svenn
07-31-2002, 09:50 PM
Wouldn't it turn on and then beep? What about without a cpu?

JBELL
07-31-2002, 10:51 PM
how big is your psu?

IFMU
07-31-2002, 11:00 PM
Wow, not much to go on here.
Things I would check if I were you.
1st. PSU ~ How is it? Good? Can you test it on another board? or some other way?
2nd. CPU ~ Id check it too.
3rd. Cards/Ram ~ Double check to see all are in all the way. Easy mistake to be made. Ive done it a__loads of times.

Ive had a dead CPU do nothing in a board, no beeps nada. same with cards/ram not in all the way etc. Ive heard of bad ram also not letting a system boot.

Just options to look into.

Luck

IFMU

Svenn
07-31-2002, 11:18 PM
550W Enermax PSU, haven't tested on another board yet
CPU I swapped out with my 1.4Ghz T-bird that I know works
Reseated everything many times
Perhaps I'll try some different RAM...

Svenn
07-31-2002, 11:24 PM
Just tested with some old Crucial PC2100 and still nothing... I'm down to checking for defective PSU and motherboard.... That's gonna be a little harder. Argh.

JBELL
07-31-2002, 11:31 PM
is the switch on - on the psu... not saying your stupidbut sometimes it is the simple things.... flicks all the switchews and triple check the wires for power button etc etc

Svenn
07-31-2002, 11:32 PM
Tried a different PSU with no luck... I think the mobo is gone...

JBELL
07-31-2002, 11:33 PM
can you throw everything on another baord?? to single out that item?

Svenn
07-31-2002, 11:36 PM
I'd have to use my current comp's 8kha+ which would require taking everything out of my current case and my new case, and then putting all the stuff in that case... There's no way I'm doing that tonight. I'd like to take the mobo out of the case and try it, I've had a problem with grounding out the mobo from underneath before...

Hardass
08-01-2002, 02:04 AM
Your running H20 try plugging a fan into the cpu fan header. That mobo may require one, also double check HDD LED wire coming from case to mobo pins. Make sure those wires are on the correct pins.

TheDude
08-01-2002, 03:28 AM
I would think if it was your CPU, Ram, or video...you would at least have fans spin up and beeps for ram and video. Kind of sounds like the board may be bad...or PS.

How do you like the new case?

mdzcpa
08-01-2002, 03:41 AM
Also try removing all the switch/reset leads to the mobo and jumper the two power pins with a screw driver to make sure you power switch isn't FUBAR'd.

I would definitely try running the basic system (mobo, cpu, hsf, ram, vid card, psu, monitor) outside of the case. I do this on every single new system I build. It saves much aggravation.

Svenn
08-01-2002, 08:04 AM
I had fans plugged into the Fan1 and Fan2 slots on the motherboard, I'm not sure if those were the heatsink fan slots, but I think so. How do I jumper the power pins with a screw driver? Just touch them at the same time?

Svenn
08-01-2002, 08:15 AM
Well, I think the power switch is FUBAR. I'll be damned. I jumped it with a screw driver and it started right up. But then it gave me some beeps... *sigh* what else. One long, two short I think.

mdzcpa
08-01-2002, 09:29 AM
One long/two short beeps indicate an AGP problem. Try reseating the AGP card and make sure it's in the slot all the way.

Svenn
08-01-2002, 10:23 AM
it's long beeps bout 5 seconds apart

mdzcpa
08-01-2002, 10:50 AM
The long repeating beeps are indicating a memory problem. Two things you can try. First remove and reseat the memory. I suggest putting in only one stick in DIMM 1 for now. Make sure you press hard and fully seat the memory into the DIMM slot evenly. If that does not work, look for a short in the case. Sometimes an errant mobo mounting post makes a connection on the underside of the mobo causing a short.

Given the trouble your having, i would remove the mobo from the case and try booting everything up outside the case. Lay the mobo out on the bubble rap and use only the mobo, CPU, hsf, one RAM stick, and the vid card. Connect the PSU, jumper the power switch, and see if it boots that way.

Svenn
08-01-2002, 11:08 AM
I checked the RAM, tried new RAM, tried different slots, no change. Now when I changed from my T-bred 2200+ to my T-bird 1.4Ghz, I went from long beeps to 2 short beeps. I'm not so sure the long beeps are long beeps, they could be high frequency beeps indicating cpu problem.

mdzcpa
08-01-2002, 12:24 PM
Seeing you already have trouble with the case switch not working, and your getting some pretty wierd bios beep codes, I strongly suggest you boot that system up outside of the case. Sounds like a short or something.

Svenn
08-01-2002, 12:29 PM
Just booted outside the case and same thing. On a good note: I tested the video card in another system and it works (well, it posted, I didn't have the monitor or anything hooked up)

Svenn
08-01-2002, 12:52 PM
CPU, memory, and video card all work. I tested them in my current system and had no problems whatsoever. Looks like it's a defective mobo, unless I somehow missed some setting... Guess I'll have to RMA it.

TheDude
08-02-2002, 08:24 AM
As mdzcpa suggests, running it outside of the case is always a good idea. Your components work, but this would eliminate shorts and wrong connections on the pin headers as cause. Just jump it with screw driver. If it still will not post and the PS is good, it's pretty safe to say it's the board. I had a similar problem and Mdzcpas suggestion solved it for me.

Svenn
08-02-2002, 11:23 AM
I already tried it outside the case. It still doesn't work. I've tried different cpu, video card, RAM, inside the case, outside the case, different power supply. Nothing seems to work so I'm gonna just send it back.

MrIcee
08-02-2002, 03:02 PM
Svenn:)

One last problem eliminator: If your board has the yellow cmos jumper...note how loose it is. If its really loose...replace it with a standard jumper...maybe the one from your Epox board if you could. I had multiple bootup problems with my first KX7 that were attributable to the loose jumper.

Randi:D