PDA

View Full Version : Can I watercool this HTPC case?

SlyMaelstrom
11-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Well... when I found out that the GeForce 9300 wasn't supporting HybridPower, my dreams of building a very powerful, silent HTPC were temporarily crushed. My goal was to build a HybridPower system with a really powerful GPU that stays silent during normal operation and even Blu-Ray playback... since that won't work, I've decided to take a more expensive route and watercool the system. I know that when done right you can get a water cooled system pretty silent... and I actually found a case that I really like and might be able to build a setup inside of...

The case is the Moneual LAB 972B (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811280010). It's a nice full ATX HTPC with a fancy-schmancy 7" touch screen on the front (Fancy Schmancy es guuud...). Since it's full ATX and it has so nice removable HDD cages... I'm pretty sure that if I use an mATX motherboard and remove one of the HDD cages, then I should be able to fit a full setup right in the case. However, the problem is, I've never done this before and I don't know that I'm not making any fundamental mistakes. From my measurements, everything I've considered should fit fine... but if I'm not organizing it in a way that is possible... I could end up spending a whole lot of money for nothing. So below is a quick pic of what I'd like to do to the case.
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2010/moncasowatercooledep7.png

What you're looking at is an overhead shot of the case with an overlay of the enclosure I'm looking to build... keep in mind the enclosure is optional and is just to make it look neat. It will restrict space somewhat and it's dimensions could change at some points if necessary. Underneath the overlay of the enclosure are some shapes that represent the radiator, fans, reservoir and pump. Some eyelets will be cut from the enclosure to allow the tubing to run to and from the water blocks.

The parts I'm choosing are chosen because this forum has either suggested they're the best or because they're the best that fit in this particular amount of space. For instance, I sacrificed purchasing a Swiftech MCR220-QP over a Thermochill 120.2 because the Thermochill is too thick for this space. Between the fans and the radiator, I have about 75mm to work with before running into the edge of the motherboard. Keep in mind that the inlet and outlet on the radiator will not be restricted to that as depicted. This will be in the area with the pump which is approximately the dimensions of a 3.5" HDD's longest dimension and an optical drive's longest dimension. Inside of this will be the pump, the resevoir (which is attached to the pump), and the inlet/outlet for the rad. This is more than big enough for the parts themselves... my concern is whether or not there is enough room for the tubing to wrap around so tightly in the enclosure.

For those curious, or those that feel they need this info to judge my questions, the parts I'm getting are as followed (incidentally, they all appear to be Swiftech).
Component Name
Radiator Swiftech MCR220-QP
Pump Swiftech MCP355
Reservoir XSPC Reservoir Pump Attachment (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7272/ex-pmp-63/XSPC_Laing_DDC_Reservoir_Pump_Attachment_w_MCP-350355_No_Fittings.html?tl=g30c107s152)
CPU Block Swiftech Apogee GTZ
GPU Block Swiftech MCW60-R Block w/ GTX 200 H.S.
Fans 2 x Yate Loon 120mm x 25mm
Tubing Masterkleer 7/16" Clear PVC (4 ft.)

So... with all of that info, I guess my questions are... does this appear to be possible? If so, does it appear to be simple? Have I chosen the best components for a tightly spaced, fairly silent build? I'm concerned that in order to make it fit, I'll have to use a bunch of those L connectors. Do they greatly affect the flow of the loop if you use too many? ... and lastly, is 4 ft. of tubing the right amount to get?

Thanks for anyone help... especially if you actually read all of my rambling.

rocket733
11-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Your setup looks good. Since your main concern is tubing routing and the limited space it might help to look into some 45 degree fittings that could help route your tubing more easily.

SlyMaelstrom
11-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Your setup looks good. Since your main concern is tubing routing and the limited space it might help to look into some 45 degree fittings that could help route your tubing more easily.Thanks for your input. One more question that I forgot:

Is it a problem to have the fans pulling off of the radiator and into the case? I don't want to pull too much heat into the case... maybe it'd be better that I push into the radiator, but on the other side of the rad will be solid casing and the air will probably be stuck in the enclosure. Mainly any air being pulled from the rad and into the case will be exhausted by the PSU and perhaps a few low powered 80mm fans above the motherboard and behind the HDD cage.