PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here feel like I do?

evilsponge
11-19-2008, 01:09 PM
I spend more time rebuilding my loops than using my PC :D

-sponge

Bojamijams
11-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah cause its more fun to tinker :D

Sadasius
11-19-2008, 01:13 PM

-sponge

Yup....Actually my build now has not even been turned on yet as I just keep replacing parts for better parts and keep on customizing stuff. Been almost a year now and I have not even so much as plugged it in. Too much of a perfectionist and it is working a against me to draw out the lengthiest build I have done so far.

Kayin
11-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I know the feeling-I still don't wanna install my new board till I get my chipset blocks...

shoota
11-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Yup....Actually my build now has not even been turned on yet as I just keep replacing parts for better parts and keep on customizing stuff. Been almost a year now and I have not even so much as plugged it in. Too much of a perfectionist and it is working a against me to draw out the lengthiest build I have done so far.

wow a year?!? i don't think i could wait that long lol. i need quicker gratification

lennox
11-19-2008, 01:18 PM
I will rebuild 3-4 times in about 2 months then leave it for over 8 months until I have enough money for the next rebuild (which is this weekend...woohoo) :)

AndrewZorn
11-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Wow, I hate spending a week on a build. A year? When you wait that long, you mind as well start over hardware-wise... but I'm sure you already know that.

zlojack
11-19-2008, 01:39 PM
I've been constantly rebuilding my rig since January.

BlueAqua
11-19-2008, 01:46 PM
I should just sell everything I build because after I'm done I'm already planning the next one. Anyone want one? ;)

road-runner
11-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Dang, if I cant have it together and working in one day something is wrong. I do not use cases or worry about the looks as it is not going to be there that long before time upgrade...

Sparky
11-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Nope I'm not. I need my PC too much to do that. Idle/shut down PCs are unhappy PCs around here :D

hellcamino
11-19-2008, 01:59 PM

Be careful how long you spend building a gaming machine, if you take too long you will have a $5000 Pong machine.

I'll spend up to about 8 hours building a liquid cooled pc and 24 hours testing then it's game time. I may or may not replace some part afterward and generally replace tubing and do an upgrade about every 6 months.

Utnorris
11-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I like the build process more than anything. But, at some point you have to turn it on and see if all you hard work has paid off. I like to game on mine, but I am the process of building a chiller for it and I just install a HD4870x2 with Koolance FC block. The biggest lesson I learned was to have a great drain system. I use the QD's from Koolance, so it isn't that hard to drain, install and refill the system now. Makes upgrading the components easier, although I need to cut my MB tray to make it easier to swap blocks out. I have actually thought about just building a open air box since I seem to upgrade and tweak so much. Maybe time to sell my MM case, lol, yeah right, no seriously, well maybe. :D

clone38
11-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Its all part of the fun we call life :D

FrostyPanda
11-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Wow, I hate spending a week on a build. A year? When you wait that long, you mind as well start over hardware-wise... but I'm sure you already know that.

one of the reasons to use koolance shutoff nozzles. They let you replace your blocks without redoing all the tubing and draining hassles. Yay koolance :up:

DarthBeavis
11-19-2008, 02:28 PM
I have a LAN party to go to Friday and I don't even have my rig built yet . . .

Sadasius
11-19-2008, 02:45 PM

Well most of my parts came from reviewers before even being made available to the public. So I had a head start on hardware. But yeah it will be finished very soon. Just have to finish a couple more things....Seems like a mantra of mine lately...lol

FrostyPanda
11-19-2008, 02:55 PM
I have a LAN party to go to Friday and I don't even have my rig built yet . . .

:rofl: At least you'll be able to move yours. I have no idea how I'm going to move my 343b to get to LAN parties once it's done :shrug:. Hmmmm...with all the fans, I've got, maybe I could make it a hovercraft :D

gillbot
11-19-2008, 02:56 PM
I put everything on my laptop since my rig spends more time disassembled than it does running.

FrostyPanda
11-19-2008, 03:38 PM
I put everything on my laptop since my rig spends more time disassembled than it does running.

:rofl: smart...

Sadasius
11-19-2008, 03:41 PM
:rofl: At least you'll be able to move yours. I have no idea how I'm going to move my 343b to get to LAN parties once it's done :shrug:. Hmmmm...with all the fans, I've got, maybe I could make it a hovercraft :D

Good idea. Just strap a seat on it and away you go! Heck would put a whole new spin on playing Need for Speed...:rofl:

twwen2
11-19-2008, 04:50 PM
I should just sell everything I build because after I'm done I'm already planning the next one. Anyone want one? ;)

Amen to that. Maybe we could swap rigs BA! :D

J/K :rolleyes:

sirheck
11-19-2008, 04:55 PM
I just tore my sys down after about 7 months.
Going to replace my 8800gtx CM hydra cooler for an MCW60
and separate ram sinks.

Once i get extra money, probably around the first
of the year, I,m getting one of those new MM towers
and am going to do it again.

Give my CM690 to my brother.

Cutless009
11-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Im with the "at least you'll be able to move yours" comment, my MM build is already 37 pounds, and all it has in it so far is 1 rad, 1 pump, some fittings, all the blocks (2x graphic and 1x processor and 1x nb), 2 fan controllers, 1 hd, and 1 rom drive D: So much left to put in it and its already so heavy! imagine with water! I wouldnt wanna move it.

And yah, this is my first build, and I dont want to stop building on it, so far I have 14 stories worth of sleeving inside it, and I have another 40 feet of sleeving here in front of me and Im doubting that will be enough to sleeve everything. I think I've spent more time sleeving than doing anything else! I love to tinker ^_^ On my other normal systems most of them hardly ever run cuz Im usually fiddling about with them hehe.

cdnbum88
11-19-2008, 05:19 PM
A Whole Year ????

:shocked:

Bobly
11-19-2008, 05:21 PM
I spent about a week with the computer in the spare room doing bits and pieces when I could. Couple of 1inch holes for cable management here, filling away at a fan grill that was way too restrictive and really noisy there, general stuff but I'm so glad now it's back :D

evilsponge
11-19-2008, 07:40 PM
:rofl: Well I know now I'm not alone. It has something to do with the tinkering factor for sure we always say to our selves we can do the next one better, cleaner cooler ect. Hey Unorris what did you do with those xspc hd4850 blocks? We need to talk if your not using them :hehe:

-sponge

Serpentarius
11-19-2008, 08:27 PM

-sponge

yeah same here ... most of us got itchy hands to tinker ..
even if there's others who claim they didnt do it .. but back in their heads always figuring ways of improve it

jc99
11-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Oh man, at least you guys don't tinker like me. Here I think I have everything planned out for minimum downtime and before I finish putting it together I start tinkering again and everything changes resulting in more downtime. I've been out 3 weeks so far. :shrug:

I'll be p****d if the damn machine doesn't turn on when I'm all through and finished. :rofl:

MJR
11-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah cause its more fun to tinker :D

+1

I hate when things go wrong and I need to disassemble to fix, but there is nothing better than a nice mod. I got one scheduled myself.

vservera
11-20-2008, 10:42 AM
nice :D

Oli4v
11-20-2008, 10:59 AM
I know the feeling, last year in summer while my pc was new, I just spended some money for ram sinks for my second handed 7900GT

than after a few months 2 new harddisks, fancontroller, new cpucooler, new motherboard, soundcard, other cpu cooler, other soundcart, other GFX, more ram, and than finally watercooling, same with that a new power supplie, than after a week of 7 of watercoolin' upgraded rad to a PA120.3, next update will be the res and the pumptop with a northbridgeblock and maybe an extra single rad ...

very expensive thing ... xD

Waterlogged
11-20-2008, 11:42 AM
.......A year?.......Again, rank amateurs.....I've been trying to get one built since Dec '03 (I'm not making this up...seriously).

Sadasius
11-20-2008, 05:40 PM
Dec 03? Dang you win..... I was not in so much of a hurry too because I have 4 other computers to play on while I was building this other one. But 5 years that is a long while. Watcha building, a supercomputer with 100 cpu's or something?

Pellepel
11-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Well especially rebuilding. I keep tell myself that these will be the last LQ cooling parts I'm buying. Damn it! it never happens. Last ones were Koolance QD for drain vales that Utnorris recommened. Not to mentioned that they're very awsome! Now I'm waiting for some 45's seriously it will be the last time...

MomijiTMO
11-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I enjoyed the building and planning stage more than actually using my pc. I wish I could be like BA and start another project already =__=.

I am going to tear apart my pc next week. Oh yeah, good times.

Movieman
11-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Did my first WC system in August 2007..
Still the same as it was the day I turned it on and at 100% load 24/7..:up:

skinnee
11-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Did my first WC system in August 2007..
Still the same as it was the day I turned it on and at 100% load 24/7..:up:

That is gonna change very, very soon Movieman! ;)