PDA

View Full Version : petra yate loon vs.. other

Eddie3dfx
11-19-2008, 09:12 AM
I have seen the petra yate loons, but I'm using the 88 cfm blue jabtech yate loons.
The thing is they also have the same swirved fan blade as the petras and it's also a closed corner fan.

So if thats the case, wouldn't it be the same thing?

It's a quiet fan.. around 1200 it's pretty much silent

I noticed when people did the petra comparison, they were using the yate loon open corner fan and the non swirled fan blade

veedubfreak
11-19-2008, 09:20 AM
The yates i got from mountain mods seem to be perfectly fine. I keep hearing that petra gets different yates, but i dont see whats different about a fan made by the same place. Unless of course there is a bootleg version out and about.

axis
11-19-2008, 09:47 AM
I was in another thread either here or on OCF. Someone from Petras chimed in and noted that the number on the fans the OP had were almost a year old. The gyst of what he explained was that Petras orders directly from YL, thus gets the newest stock while others are getting olders ones. The OP's YLs were in fact YLs, just not the ones that were manufactured last week or last month. That begs the question, is there a difference between 1mo YL's over 1yr old ones, if both are were never used.

Axis

aspire.comptech
11-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Nobody is quite sure on what the difference between the fans is. However the point does still stand that Petras gets different and better fans than everybody else.

Search for fan test on the forums and see the differences between them.

Eddie3dfx
11-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Nobody is quite sure on what the difference between the fans is. However the point does still stand that Petras gets different and better fans than everybody else.

Search for fan test on the forums and see the differences between them.

Well the main comparison was always that the blades are different and that the petras are closed fans.

The thing is Jabtech does sell the 88 blue cfm's that also have the same exact fan blade and is also closed corner..

So I guess the question is when compared to the same specs, what is the difference?

AndrewZorn
11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
On the old thread, it was obviously noted that the Petra Yates have/had different fan blades AND motors AND PCBs, and were noticeably quieter in operation.

Has everyone else caught up? I don't know...

Also, the LED Yates are not as good as the Orange/Black ones, the material used is heavier and the motor is stepped down a little to account for this, meaning slower/weaker.

Eddie3dfx
11-19-2008, 11:22 AM
On the old thread, it was obviously noted that the Petra Yates have/had different fan blades AND motors AND PCBs, and were noticeably quieter in operation.

Has everyone else caught up? I don't know...

Also, the LED Yates are not as good as the Orange/Black ones, the material used is heavier and the motor is stepped down a little to account for this, meaning slower/weaker.

Ah okay, so it's the motor.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was the externals or the internals.. makes sense

AndrewZorn
11-19-2008, 11:29 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showpost.php?p=2231593&postcount=15

whole thing http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=146836

Vapor
11-19-2008, 11:31 AM
My finding were that PTS Yates (both straight blade and curved blade) performed noticeably different and better than any other Yate Loon I ever tested (straight or curved, open or closed).

By different I mean two big things:
1) RPM to voltage scaling. non-PTS Yates spun at lower RPMs than PTS Yates below 12V, across all model numbers IIRC. The difference was well outside of the margin of error as well.
2) 0-hours tests (fresh out of the box with just a warm-up) vs. 24-hour tests (tests performed after a 24-hour 'burn-in' of sorts--to better show what kind of performance you can expect long term. Most fans improve slightly after a burn-in where as non-PTS Yates degraded considerably (4-7%). PTS Yates improved slightly (2-3%) like most high-quality fans.

By better I mean three things:
1) Better CFM at any given noise level in open air.
2) Better CFM through a radiator at any given noise level. (this was an especially large discrepancy)
3) Better noise profile (by a large margin in most cases....only one [of MANY] non-PTS Yate was as good as the typical PTS Yate).

Again, this was irrespective of straight/curved blade design, open/closed corners, and color. When I tested, there was clearly something else going on. I don't know what the difference is and frankly I don't care.

Production date had little impact on anything on the PTS Yates while later non-PTS Yates visibly looked more like PTS Yates, they performed consistently with previous non-PTS Yates.

The poor quality trend was also noticeable on 140mm non-PTS Yates. I have not purchased 140mm PTS Yates yet and don't plan to until my next system build. I don't plan on reviewing them, however.

All samples were purchased from retail outlets.

Vapor
11-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Addendum: A non-PTS Yate is what? $3? It's still better than some $20 fans, no doubt about it. Just for $4-6, the PTS Yate is noticeably better :shrug:

MrMojoZ
11-19-2008, 11:57 AM
I just ordered a PTS Yate to replace a noisy non-PTS Yate, should be interesting to see if I can spot any diffrences.

gillbot
11-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Tis was brought up at anandtech also, I got this from John:

James,
I don't have an account on Anandtech, If I get chance tomorrow I will make one.. In referance to the Yates and the old XS testing done by Vapor, well the fans from me and the fans from Petra were different.. But if you look at the yates you will see a 3 digit number, something like 801. At the time we didn't know what this number was, it is the date of manufacture, 801 = 2008 January. The fans vapor tested were manufactured about 18 months apart, I had 50x and Petra had 60x and that is why their was differances then.. We have 804, 805 and 806 model now so they are pretty much as new as they get. If their was a comparison of Apples to apples (Same Manufacture month and Frame design (open or closed corner)) You will find they are exactly the same.
John
JAB Computers
www.jab-tech.com

EDIT: All the fans I ordered from Jab-Tech recently are numbered 807.

aspire.comptech
11-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Tis was brought up at anandtech also, I got this from John:

That still doesn't address the fact the Rep from Yate Loon insists they don't manufacture open cornered fans or sell to the distributer everyone else buys from...

:shrug:

Vapor
11-19-2008, 12:23 PM
I hope all Yates are the same by now....I want this issue dead, it's been way overplayed :mad:

That still doesn't address the fact the Rep from Yate Loon insists they don't manufacture open cornered fans or sell to the distributer everyone else buys from...

:shrug:I've heard the same...ugh.

gillbot
11-19-2008, 12:26 PM

:shrug:

All mine from Jab are closed corner.

Eddie3dfx
11-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Addendum: A non-PTS Yate is what? $3? It's still better than some $20 fans, no doubt about it. Just for $4-6, the PTS Yate is noticeably better :shrug:

may I ask if this was also the 88cfm petra yate loon or just the 44cfm model..

Vapor
11-19-2008, 12:30 PM
All of them...SH, SM, SL, LED.

Sparky
11-19-2008, 12:34 PM
OK who wants to send Vapor a new PTS yate and a new jabtech yate :D
I have a couple PTS yates but they are well used at this point.

masxerofkartis
A bit off topic but does the shop have any way from shipping from the EU?

thanks

Eddie3dfx
Unfortunately petra doesn't sell blue 88cfm yates...

gillbot
11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
OK who wants to send Vapor a new PTS yate and a new jabtech yate :D
I have a couple PTS yates but they are well used at this point.

I'd be willing to cross-trade one of my Jab yates for a petra one for comparison and photos.

WhiteFireDragon
11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
i posted this in another thread on here. it just seemed like people were just shutting down all other vendors that carried yates based on past reviews. yes, i saw those reviews too and that's why i emailed John from jab-tech to ask about those yates. all said (and all that was required) was that those straight blades were from a while ago, and recently he's been getting the curved blades also.

so bottom line is to order from petra for 100% assurance for authentic yates, but jab-tech migh very well be the same exact fans nowadays, but this is just not 100% certain. shipping is just a pain in the arse if majority of the WC will be from jab-tech (since it seems like they have more items in stock) and a separate order from petra just for a few fans.

vapor, have you gotten a chance to test the recent yates of petra's vs other vendor?

AndrewZorn
11-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately petra doesn't sell blue 88cfm yates...
If you care about the quality differences, you should be getting the black/orange ones anyway.

Vapor
11-19-2008, 12:45 PM
vapor, have you gotten a chance to test the recent yates of petra's vs other vendor?No, I have suspended fan testing indefinitely.

WhiteFireDragon
11-19-2008, 12:53 PM
aww bummer. we needed testers like you and martin.

evilsponge
11-19-2008, 12:55 PM
What is so great about the black orange ones? I have some of those and mounted on the same rad the pt yates cooled better

-sponge

WhiteFireDragon
11-19-2008, 01:06 PM
the all black and the black/orange ones are made from a different kind of plastic than the LED/UV ones so they don't produce as much noise. i don't know if it's a significant difference though.

well at least this is what i had it the whole time between the solid black vs LED ones. someone correct me if i'm wrong

AndrewZorn
11-19-2008, 01:16 PM
What is so great about the black orange ones? I have some of those and mounted on the same rad the pt yates cooled better

-sponge
I'm saying it like

Black, Orange, or Black+Orange Yates/PT Yates
vs
Clear or Clear+LED Yates/PT Yates

like WhiteFireDragon is saying: different (heavier) plastic means more mass to move with the motor, which was also slowed down by 100rpm to reduce the vibrations FROM this heavier material.

Long story short, if you NEED clear/LED fans, then yeah, [Petra] Yates are still good. But LED vs opaque, go opaque if you want the best performance.

GameGuru
11-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm saying it like

vs

like WhiteFireDragon is saying: different (heavier) plastic means more mass to move with the motor, which was also slowed down by 100rpm to reduce the vibrations FROM this heavier material.

Long story short, if you NEED clear/LED fans, then yeah, [Petra] Yates are still good. But LED vs opaque, go opaque if you want the best performance.

I have all of the above, when I get home I'll look at part numbers and such, then when I get my rig done I could test the noise levels.

FrostyPanda
11-19-2008, 02:39 PM
so i saw on the PTS website that they also sell the scythe slipstreams, in which the title says that one of the slipstreams has 110cfm for just 37db, whereas the yates only go up to 88cfm and that one is 40db. Do the slipstreams fans actually perform this well, or is scythe really exaggerating their fan stats?

WhiteFireDragon
11-19-2008, 02:42 PM
i think all fans specs are off except the server fans (deltas, san aces, etc) and yates.

FrostyPanda
11-19-2008, 02:46 PM
i think all fans specs are off except the server fans (deltas, san aces, etc) and yates.

Thanks. back to sidewinders I go (i would get the yates, but I personally like deltas better and PTS doesn't have the 25mm deltas)

Also, what do you guys suggest for static pressure. What is considered to be excellent pressure?

evilsponge
11-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Oh ok I stand corrected... Have no idea about the clear or led yates

-sponge

I'm saying it like

vs

bigslappy
11-19-2008, 11:52 PM
so i saw on the PTS website that they also sell the scythe slipstreams, in which the title says that one of the slipstreams has 110cfm for just 37db, whereas the yates only go up to 88cfm and that one is 40db. Do the slipstreams fans actually perform this well, or is scythe really exaggerating their fan stats?

them slipystreams is Good Sh*t

The-Fox
11-20-2008, 07:55 AM
slipstream are great for inlet/outlet fan for your case.
Putting them on a rad is a different story though, check Vapor's mega test, they perform poorly on a rad.
I have experienced it myself switching from S-Flex to Slip Stream.