PDA

View Full Version : cool H2o feature on Asus Striker Extreme II

DarthBeavis
11-18-2008, 01:55 PM
It allows you to use external temp sensors which the bios will monitor and shut the system down if you go over the threshhold you set . . .

I am going to connect my Bitspower temp sensors to it and have the system monitor the fluid temp from the outlet of each radiator . . .this will also allow me to display the temps using programs like Everest .. . .

Bun-Bun
11-18-2008, 02:24 PM
It allows you to use external temp sensors which the bios will monitor and shut the system down if you go over the threshhold you set . . .

I am going to connect my Bitspower temp sensors to it and have the system monitor the fluid temp from the outlet of each radiator . . .this will also allow me to display the temps using programs like Everest .. . .

All of Asus motherboards that have the ROG moniker have this feature. I have a temp probe in my res that I monitor in this way. Very handy. Earlier ROG boards came with temp probes as well.

T_Flight
11-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Do They?!? Yayyy. I got the Asus RIIE and I somehow missed that in the directions. Thanks for posting that. I *need* that. I'm worried that something could happen to my systemwhile I was away, and didn;t know how to shut the system down if the pump stopped, but now I do.

Thankyou thankyou thankyou for posting that! :up:

2low4u
11-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Curious to what a ROG system is lol.

SiGfever
11-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Curious to what a ROG system is lol.

Asus "Republic of Gamers"

2low4u
11-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Ah I guess I should have known that what with seeing it lit up on the last 2 boards i've owned & my RIIE lol

lyl
11-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Ah I guess I should have known that what with seeing it lit up on the last 2 boards i've owned & my RIIE lol

:rofl:

MadHacker
11-18-2008, 03:23 PM
My pumps on my machine somehow got disconnected.
it overheated and just shut down,
Once i pluged the pumps back in (loose connection)
it just powered back up... no problems

b@llz0r
11-18-2008, 03:37 PM
this is a screenie of the everest vista gadget on my S2E rig

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5JXSu5Gfgo4/SRcJXjLcxkI/AAAAAAAABDQ/95fC7H12hr8/s800/temps2.jpg

Ive got it set to shut down if the water temp goes over 50 :up:

Xilikon
11-18-2008, 04:00 PM
My Maximus Formula have 3 Temp probe headers as well ;)

DarthBeavis
11-18-2008, 04:34 PM
this is a screenie of the everest vista gadget on my S2E rig

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5JXSu5Gfgo4/SRcJXjLcxkI/AAAAAAAABDQ/95fC7H12hr8/s800/temps2.jpg

Ive got it set to shut down if the water temp goes over 50 :up:

sweet . . .now I am getting excited again . . .if I could just get well damn it

T_Flight
11-18-2008, 06:20 PM

hahaha :ROTF: Where have you been? (just kidding) :D

BulldogPO
11-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Heh, does all temp sensors fit?

b@llz0r
11-19-2008, 03:23 AM
Heh, does all temp sensors fit?
all the temp sensors ive seen have the same 2 pin connector

Bobly
11-19-2008, 04:34 AM
One problem, if your pump fails then the water is no longer circulating, which means the temp sensor might not reach 50C water before the CPU/GPU overheats unless they're very close.

filthysanchez
11-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Convection currents would still move the water

Bobly
11-19-2008, 05:02 AM
Fast enough? Considering the heat output we're talking here I wouldn't expect it to be nearly quick enough to get water to heat to 50C down the line without the water at the processor hitting 75+ and the processor hitting 100+ :/

Bun-Bun
11-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Fast enough? Considering the heat output we're talking here I wouldn't expect it to be nearly quick enough to get water to heat to 50C down the line without the water at the processor hitting 75+ and the processor hitting 100+ :/

Well if the system is loaded you would be sitting next to it and I would notice if my pump failed.

If you are not next to the system and its not a crunching rig then the system is probably not loaded and should be fine... I know the nvidia drivers cut off the drivers past a certain point. Ive taken many a chip to 110-120°C before and they've been fine afterwards.

Also ive seen quite a few systems cool "enough" with flow by convection alone.

Bun-Bun
11-19-2008, 09:26 AM
But here's the problem with that as a protection for pump failure depending on where you have the temp sensors. If the pump stops, the heated fluid may not reach where the probes are in time to save the rig. Especially if the probes are in the res.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Not quickly enough though in most cases. By the time the fluid convects to the probe, if even at all depending on loop set up, the damage is done. The fluid would come close to the boiling point while moving the fluid to the probe. I wouldn't worry about the CPU itself that much, it's designed to shut down or throttle back when exceeding a certain temp. Melted CPU block tops and burst tubing would be my main concern.

andyc

FYI fluid can move due to convenction at much lower then its boiling temp. And if a CPU top is going to melt at the temps we are working with then there needs to be a serious look into the materials we are using to make these blocks...

Burst tubing would require the loop to already be at max pressure at stand still... it would take quite a bit of pressure to burst a tube. Though with the questionable clamps I see a lot of people use I could see tubes popping off barbs maybe..,

Waterlogged
11-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Convection doesn't always work. (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165299) <clicky

Bun-Bun
11-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Convection doesn't always work. (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165299) <clicky

Yes depending on the loop route and if there are air bubbles present convection may not happen... but you can design a loop so that it can ;)

Bun-Bun
11-19-2008, 10:42 AM
You can talk hypothetical all you want. I'm talking how it can and does work in the real world. Using a fluid temp probe to protect against pump failure is not a good design unless you have it directly connected to the CPU block. Possible, but not a good option for most build preferences.

Using a foil probe as close as possible to the CPU IHS (you can mount them so the tip of the probe is touching the side of the IHS iright under the CPU block if carefull) and caibrating for the temp differences is a much better fool proof and safe way to shut down a rig on pump failure. All that's possible with most ROG boards and the parts are already there, without the hassle and mess of fluid temps probes which probably won't work.

andyc

It's better then nothing though. And depending on where the water probe actually is dictates where it will be effective or not. And for what you described you can just use the built in probes...

Either way this is entirely a hypothetical discussion because we are not talking about one specific loop or one specific scenario. We are talking about LC in general in which case of of the above may or may not be true or effective or whatever.

Was it ryder OCZ or Tony OCZ that made LC system without a pump? It is possible. And just because a chip climbs to 100°c doesnt necessarily mean its fried already. And its not like its going to climb up there that fast if the pump fails unless the system is loaded (like a crunching rig) but in that case I would make sure i have a backup pump in series or some other failsafe.

I never said it was a great solution. Just pointing out certain things about this concept. Personally I just use it as a means of documenting temps for my own comparison purposes.

EDIT: An even better method is to monitor the RPM of your pump and if it drops below a certain level or goes to 0 then shut off the comp.

TNTSunshine
11-19-2008, 11:43 AM
just put the temp sensor between the block's base and the top of your cpu/gpu. Set the temp sensor trip at 60 C or whatever is well above your typical range of temps, but still under the max safe limit for your chip. KISS

b@llz0r
11-19-2008, 01:37 PM
But here's the problem with that as a protection for pump failure depending on where you have the temp sensors. If the pump stops, the heated fluid may not reach where the probes are in time to save the rig. Especially if the probes are in the res.

Ive got a flow meter hooked up to a fan header for that, my temp probes are mainly for monitoring and to protect against fan failure

Aberration
11-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I have been using this on my Maximus Formula for a while (until the temp sensor failed). Worked great. I was away from home and somehow my wife turned the fans to the Rad off. She called asking why the comp kept shutting off.

Now I just have the temp shutoff tied to the CPU until I can replace the water temp sensor.

Utnorris
11-19-2008, 02:16 PM
I use both the fan monitors to determine if the pumps stop and temp probes to shut down in the event the fans stop or the system overloads. Always have a back up plan, redundancy will save your system in the even the first safety doesn't work.