PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievably slow

Ansur
10-15-2003, 01:31 AM
Hi,

my computer is about 3 weeks old (specs: view sig), running Windows XP Professional.

I've installed about all updates for Windows and so, all drivers are official etc. etc.

But I'm experiencing these horrible slowdowns in Windows and in games too.
Sometimes it takes ages before I can see my start menu.
Games such as NeverWinter Nights and Counter-Strike are unplayable, but BattleField1942 is running as it should be.

Rightclicking on eg. a shortcut takes about three seconds, each alpha-step of fading in taking ~ 1 sec

I can give some more examples if needed, but as you guys can see, this is undoable.

I've scanned for virusses (Norton 2003), checked for spyware (ad-aware), but haven't found anything.
My HD is OK (and recently defragmented), so is my other hardware.

At the moment my CPU is OCed (13.5 * 170), but even when I put it on the normal specs, it's still the same.
Prime95 and such tools indicated already that my computer is stable.

So, any ideas to what this might be ?

Tweaked!
10-15-2003, 02:34 AM
First off, what is your temps? If they're low enough, I would say to increase your voltage (Vcore and vdimm). Something in the system is starving for voltage. That would be my first try:)

Btw, Welcome to Xtreme :cool:

Ansur
10-15-2003, 03:06 AM

My temperatures are OK.
I'd say about 42° ti 44° degrees (Celsius) stressed for my CPU.

I'll post my voltages later on, since I'm at college right now :)

*MOD* I've been told of that this might have to do with a certain Windows upgrade causing the computer to be running slowly.
Can anyone confirm this ?

Ulfar
10-15-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Ansur

I've installed about all updates for Windows and so, all drivers are official etc. etc.

But I'm experiencing these horrible slowdowns in Windows and in games too.
Sometimes it takes ages before I can see my start menu.
Games such as NeverWinter Nights and Counter-Strike are unplayable, but BattleField1942 is running as it should be.

At the moment my CPU is OCed (13.5 * 170), but even when I put it on the normal specs, it's still the same.
Prime95 and such tools indicated already that my computer is stable.

So, any ideas to what this might be ?

well first off i won't install all the windows updates, all u need is the service pack, untill u start running into problems.

Now, bf1942 takes the most system resources from all those games, that u listed. And thats just wierd. :stick:

Now adding some volts might not be a bad idea with that oc, surely you cant run it on stock, or not too long atleast

Ansur
10-15-2003, 05:27 AM
That's weird indeed :)

For my voltages:
CPU: 1.65 -- 1.75
RAM: 2.6 -- 2.8
Chipset: 1.6 -- 1.6
AGP: 1.5 -- 1.6

The first values are the stock values, the second values (you guessed it :)) are the adapted ones.

Nookie420
11-01-2003, 01:53 AM
very strange, when i do windows update i first install SP1, then just get all the critical update security issue stuff, and install all the latest drivers for stuff, and im good to go.

Ansur
11-01-2003, 03:28 AM
I've been installing and uninstalling some drivers.

I think it might have been my video driver, though I've re-installed the same (certified) driver.

Kinda weird to say the least, BF1942 working, CS and NWN not...

amd3001
11-22-2003, 08:38 AM
it might have been a bad OS install. I have had that happen
to me before with a new system..I formatted the drive
again and reinstalled the os and everything was fine after that..