PDA

View Full Version : Odd Sound from Rig...

JDawggS316
11-16-2008, 04:41 PM
After my PC is on for an short period of time I notice a high frequency-sounding pitch coming from the power supply. I have swapped the current PSU out with another one and am getting the same sound.

Could this be related to the pump?

I am using the Swiftech MCP355™ 12 VDC Pump.

I also notice that whenever there is activity (i.e. moving the mouse, typing on the keyboard) or pretty much anything that requires electricity the sound is noticeable.

I also tried rewiring everything and am just plain stumped.

I am so frustrated I want to sell this newly built rig.

All I have in this PC is the following:

1. Intel QX6850 Extreme
2. EVGA HydroCopper GTX 280
3. 4GB Kingston 1800MHz DDR3
3. WD Caviar 320GB HDD
4. WD Velociraptor 300GB HDD
5. LG 22X CD/DVD Combo Drive

hellcamino
11-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Are you by chance using a 790i? If so check again and make sure that sound isn't coming from the area of your cpu. If it is it's fairly normal.

JDawggS316
11-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Yes I am using a EVGA Ultra 790i FTW and have noticed this high pitch for some time now.

Is there anything that can be done?

hellcamino
11-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Yes I am using a EVGA Ultra 790i FTW and have noticed this high pitch for some time now.

Is there anything that can be done?

It's a common problem, evga will rma a board just for that sound though. I've experienced this one on a few evga boards and som of them were quite loud, my last 780i started doing that and after a few days I was playing a game and heard this God-awful squealing coming from my pc while wearing headphones. It was only loud for about 2 minutes prior to the sizzling sound lol, several caps failed in that incident. If yours is annoying you call evga and tell them about it and make sure you tell them you want a new board...not some shoddy "repaired" board. They will even cross-ship a replacement to you.