View Full Version : Laing D5 Vario VS Laing DDC-3.2 with XSPC top

Brodholm
11-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Ohh yeah, World War 3 is here! :CTF:

No... but seriously, I have difficulties deciding what pump to get :shrug:

The loop setup I will be using is the following:
D-TEK FuZion v2
2x Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
EK Multioption RES 150 Rev2 (maybe the top with the xspc Reservoir)
XSPC Full Cover Razor HD 4870 X2

And all this will be in one loop. But I'm Thinking abut getting 2 loops but I don't know. I don't even know if these pumps can handle that loop :confused:

Some criterias, it should be quiet, reliable, good performance and not run hot. Good looks is not needed since I think I'm going with a closed case with sound damning materials all over the place. But I'm not sure about that either. So what should I get?

Laing DDC-3.2 (18W) (http://www.petrastechshop.com/ladd1mcin12p.html) With XSPC Laing DDC Top (http://www.petrastechshop.com/xsladdctop.html)
Laing D5 Vario/Swiftech MCP655 Inline 12V DC Pump (http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcin12pu.html)
Can you change the 1/2" barb on this pump? does it have G1/4" Threading?

Regards, Brodholm

hotdun
11-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Try Martin's calculator (http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/MartinsFlowRateEstimator.html)but you should be OK. It won't be optimal but you should definitely have good temps. I like the D5 Vario as it's quiet and speed changeable which can result in less heat dump. I don't think you'd loose with either pump but you should consider splitting into 2 loops down the road. Maybe go with the D5 Vario with Detroit top (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?referrerid=20037&t=207500) to start?

Brodholm
11-14-2008, 05:38 PM
How loud is actually a D5? compared to fans and other stuff. Things I can relate to is Nexus, nocuta, scythe fans at about 800-1200 rpm. 1200 rpm being acceptable and 800 good. And I am planing on cooling mosfets, nb, sb later. Maybe its safer to go with 2 loops.

SNiiPE_DoGG
11-14-2008, 05:40 PM
How loud is actually a D5? compared to fans and other stuff. Things I can relate to is Nexus, nocuta, scythe fans at about 800-1200 rpm. 1200 rpm being acceptable and 800 good. And I am planing on cooling mosfets, nb, sb later. Maybe its safer to go with 2 loops.

both the D5 and a the DDC when properly bled are quieter than a yate D12SL-12 in my experience

hotdun
11-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Ya, just about as loud as a D12SL-12...good comparison.

btw, just wanna throw in a big "RD-30 FTW!!!"

-RIP RRR
:(

Brodholm
11-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Hmm, with the risk of embarrassing myself. Where can I get the Detroit Thermo top?

Is it right when I say that some ppl have had trouble with the DDC? This is just what i have heard.

But if you should decide, which one would you get?

SNiiPE_DoGG
11-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Hmm, with the risk of embarrassing myself. Where can I get the Detroit Thermo top?

Is it right when I say that some ppl have had trouble with the DDC? This is just what i have heard.

But if you should decide, which one would you get?

People have trouble with the older model DDC2

the ones sold now are DDC3.2 and they have no reported failures to XS for over a year

Sadasius
11-14-2008, 06:20 PM

Just send DetroitAC a pm. He will hook you up. That's how I got 2 of them. :up:

Serpentarius
11-14-2008, 07:11 PM
D5 hands down
it's big, bulky, and somehow noiser ... but it'll probraly last as long as PSU does

on there other hand .. DDC-3.2 is small, quieter .. and you might RMA a few times while waiting for D5 to breakdown

SNiiPE_DoGG
11-14-2008, 07:17 PM
D5 hands down
it's big, bulky, and somehow noiser ... but it'll probraly last as long as PSU does

on there other hand .. DDC-3.2 is small, quieter .. and you might RMA a few times while waiting for D5 to breakdown

false,

as I said there have been NO reported failures of a ddc 3.2 (blue impeller) in over a year

FrostyPanda
11-14-2008, 07:19 PM
btw, just wanna throw in a big "RD-30 FTW!!!"

-RIP RRR
:(

stop moaning...

my vote's in for the mcp355

hotdun
11-14-2008, 07:23 PM
stop moaning...

my vote's in for the mcp355

:rofl: believe me, I'm not moaning....

Waterlogged
11-14-2008, 07:40 PM
D5 hands down

You need to read my 2nd sig. ;)

false,

as I said there have been NO reported failures of a ddc 3.2 (blue impeller) in over a year

QFT +1 100% :yepp:

Serpentarius
11-14-2008, 08:36 PM
false,

hmmm ..
this just my personal opinion ..

let's just say .. there's big magnet and small magnet ..
bigger magnet give better torque at lesser effort .. but we could "stress" the smaller magnet to produce the "same" torque of the bigger magnet ... at the cost of their life span

that's bout the fact of it .. there's more but .. it's too long

systemviper
11-14-2008, 08:48 PM
hmmm ..
this just my personal opinion ..

let's just say .. there's big magnet and small magnet ..
bigger magnet give better torque at lesser effort .. but we could "stress" the smaller magnet to produce the "same" torque of the bigger magnet ... at the cost of their life span

that's bout the fact of it .. there's more but .. it's too long

tell me more, i need a good night time story.

Serpentarius
11-14-2008, 08:59 PM
tell me more, i need a good night time story.

go find out yourself .. i just have the surface knowledge bout kinetic engineering .. i cant grasp enough depth knowledge from my last hydroelectric dam project .. that panel engineers is very confusing

SNiiPE_DoGG
11-14-2008, 10:22 PM
go find out yourself .. i just have the surface knowledge bout kinetic engineering .. i cant grasp enough depth knowledge from my last hydroelectric dam project .. that panel engineers is very confusing

stop spewing crap about your opinion.... lol

FACT: 0 (zero) dead ddc 3.2's have shown up at XS, the most active liquid cooling forum on the planet

FACT: DDC 3.2's with a top make the D5 look like a waste of time, more head pressure and 10% flow in any situation you can drum up.

FACT: DDC 3.2 are smaller and more versatile than a d5

hotdun
11-14-2008, 11:40 PM
stop spewing crap about your opinion.... lol

FACT: 0 (zero) dead ddc 3.2's have shown up at XS, the most active liquid cooling forum on the planet

FACT: DDC 3.2's with a top make the D5 look like a waste of time, more head pressure and 10% flow in any situation you can drum up.

FACT: DDC 3.2 are smaller and more versatile than a d5

Oh Sniipe....Remember that most of the testing comparing the D5 to the DDC 3.2 was done with the non-Vario variety, i.e. setting 4 where the Vario can be brought up 20% to setting 5. They are extremely close in performance in most cases immeasurable if temperature is your scale. Saying the D5 is a waste of time is just not true. The D5 also deposits less heat into your loop and has the ability to be quieter. I think we'll see some good results from skinnee's upcoming D5 top shootout as well.

Waterlogged
11-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Oh Sniipe....Remember that most of the testing comparing the D5 to the DDC 3.2 was done with the non-Vario variety, i.e. setting 4 where the Vario can be brought up 20% to setting 5. They are extremely close in performance in most cases immeasurable if temperature is your scale. Saying the D5 is a waste of time is just not true. The D5 also deposits less heat into your loop and has the ability to be quieter. I think we'll see some good results from skinnee's upcoming D5 top shootout as well.

Odd, the testing I've seen, I can directly compare a stock D5 Vario to a DDC with nearly any top on the market. The D5 @ 1.5 gpm shows roughly 4.12 PSI/20W while the DDC with the worst of the tops shows 4.62 PSI/19W and the best of tops showing 6.10 PSI/17.5W. ;)

hellcamino
11-15-2008, 12:57 AM
I would say that either pump would work fine for you but both require an add-on top to use threaded fittings, I am currently using 2 D5-B's and 1 DDC3.2 with xspc top. The D5's are significantly quieter as a pair over the DDC3.2, the DDCC3.2 is roughly 1/4 the size of a D5 and with tops the cost is roughly the same.

Pick w/e one you want : smaller but louder or bigger but quieter. Either is capable of handling your system.

septim
11-15-2008, 02:53 AM
hmm get both and compare it yourself... sell the other if it don't suit your fancy or ebay it, or even donate it to a friend...

both are good pumps, depends on which/where you intend to place the pump, personnal preference on what looks you might want to have, etc etc... in the end you decide it for yourself...

you may want to play with martin's calculator to give you some options...

Mech0z
11-15-2008, 03:27 AM
Is there any noise difference between the dcc 3.1(10watt) and 3.2(18watt)

Brodholm
11-15-2008, 05:46 AM
I want to know if you can put a DDC 3.2 on petras "gel-stuff" Is is that the pump that gets very hot? And how much louder is a DCC3.2 vs the D5?

Snyxxx
11-15-2008, 06:09 AM
I think you need to use the search button more often. I see many of your posts lately rehashing the same old questions that have been going on forever.

Which pump?
Is that pump enough?
Which is quieter?

Geez. C'mon. I do not think anyone here minds answering questions as long as someone has done some investigation work beforehand.

Eddie3dfx
11-15-2008, 06:21 AM
I want to know if you can put a DDC 3.2 on petras "gel-stuff" Is is that the pump that gets very hot? And how much louder is a DCC3.2 vs the D5?

I believe the gel killed those pumps.

fusionmkx
11-15-2008, 08:32 AM
excellent summary mcoffey!!! =) I've used both before with various tops, well, in the end I ended up using asthetics for choice.

Brodholm
11-15-2008, 08:47 AM
I think you need to use the search button more often. I see many of your posts lately rehashing the same old questions that have been going on forever.

Which pump?
Is that pump enough?
Which is quieter?

Geez. C'mon. I do not think anyone here minds answering questions as long as someone has done some investigation work beforehand.

Yeah I know, But I'm still new to all this and I want to get it right. It is important because I live in Sweden and delivery takes time and costs money.

And I have done some investigation but I just could not decide, sorry :\

But I think I'm going to go with a DCC3.2 now.

Thanks for your answers and all your time!

Brodholm
11-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Great choice. You'll get good results with that pump.:up:

Good luck and make sure you post a build log,

andyc

Yeah, I'm going to build a whole chassis from the scratch. So that will take some time. But I have a whole workshop with tools and stuff. Ill be sure post a build log! Now I'm just going to decide if I'm going cube or tower :up:

Thanks again!

gzipper
11-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah I know, But I'm still new to all this and I want to get it right. It is important because I live in Sweden and delivery takes time and costs money.

And I have done some investigation but I just could not decide, sorry :\

But I think I'm going to go with a DCC3.2 now.

Thanks for your answers and all your time!

I hear you! Watch out for our customs, they are PITA!

If you find a place in sweden with good tubings tell me about it, coz Im looking.

Good luck!

mstrmold
11-15-2008, 10:14 AM
I believe the gel killed those pumps.

Aw, don't say that Eddie! I'm running that very configuration now without issue. *peers into case praying to the WC gods he didn't jinx himself.

Waterlogged
11-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Aw, don't say that Eddie! I'm running that very configuration now without issue. *peers into case praying to the WC gods he didn't jinx himself.

Read all about it here. (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165299)

btw, the link has the only confirmed "dead" DDC3.2 here since their release.