PDA

View Full Version : I have an odd request

Chris_F
11-14-2008, 05:06 PM
I need to know (approximately) how many cubic cm or mL of liquid are in the average liquid cooling setup. Maybe some approximate numbers for a small setup without a res and 1/4" tubing and then a number for a larger setup with 1/2" tubing and a small res.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks!

barfastic
11-14-2008, 05:18 PM
well in my 3 loop ufo i had about 1.5 litres per loop, on average. (give or take 200ml)
in my brothers case a DD Waterbox, single loop gfx, cpu, 120.2 rad,and 150ml res he has about 800ml in his loop totally.(again give or take 50-150ml)

u doing some sort of research? :P

Chris_F
11-14-2008, 05:26 PM
well in my 3 loop ufo i had about 1.5 litres per loop, on average. (give or take 200ml)
in my brothers case a DD Waterbox, single loop gfx, cpu, 120.2 rad,and 150ml res he has about 800ml in his loop totally.(again give or take 50-150ml)

u doing some sort of research? :P

I was playing with the idea of putting together a galinstan cooling system for CPU and NB + GPUs. So far the lowest price I can find on gallium metal is $1.50USD per mL ($0.25 per gram), which would cost almost $7,000 to fill your 3 loop setup, lol. Perhaps its not unobtainable, just need to minimize the amount of fluid required.

barfastic
11-14-2008, 05:31 PM
well, if u got a very small cpu only loop, aka: 10cm t-line, 120rad, 3/8 tubing, some cpu block, and a ddc with a top, i think u could be looking at like 400-600mls.

unless u can mount the pump on the cpu block inlet, rad on the outlet, adn get a tline somewhere there then maybe even 250ml. but im guessing thats near impossible. hehe

YukonTrooper
11-14-2008, 05:32 PM
That would be amazingly cool. I'll donate $5 if you ever decide to go through with it.

Chris_F
11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Seems to me that the radiator is going to be the largest amount of volume. If there was a way to cool the liquid which was more or less just as efficient as a radiator but required less volume. Gallium transfers heat to copper so much faster than water, so it should require less time in contact with the radiator, so I don't think a water cooling radiator would be ideal.

Maybe if the liquid passed into a small copper block that had heat pipes attached that then carried the heat away to a large set of copper fins.

barfastic
11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
maybe an all copper tube loop and add fins to the copper tubes all round, with some decent case fans?
just throwing ideas out there, ahve no idea if that would work, nor do i know the heat emitted through ur hardware to get these complex mathematical/scientific answers some ppl on these forums give :D

(your lucky im watching a very bad movie atm... hehe)

Chris_F
11-14-2008, 07:45 PM
The plan is to use this stuff to cool all the major components , but mainly to cool a peltier on the CPU. The idea is that gallium transfers heat about 46x faster than water, so the stuff will literally suck the heat right out of the cpu block. It doesn't hold as much heat as water, but if there is good flow, the liquid in the block should be replaced before it becomes to saturated. It should be able to efficiently cool a peltier, much more than water could and should be able to get much better results.