PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard layout and Convection

corbec
10-13-2003, 12:59 PM
Well...after studing about convection and ยงยงยงยง in science...

why isnt the cpu nb and ram (hottest parts) towards the bottom where the denser, colder air congrugates? the intake air would also be able to cool it better too. then there would just be vents (no fans) at the top so the warm air could rise out. if there was a blow hole, the fan would suck up the cold air around the socket + ram. than the rear fans could be moved down to suck the air that is warmer around teh cpu out. the intake would than replenish the cold air to the cpu and ram. seems a lot better eh?

KnightElite
10-13-2003, 01:25 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that any kind of forced convection (eg, fans) will create a substantially higher convection coefficient than free convection, so rise of air due to heat often has less impact than people assume.

However, Intel's new form factor does indeed work the way you describe, as does WTX (Workstation Technology eXtended).

sandman
10-13-2003, 01:58 PM
the difference in temperature between air that it at your floor level, and air that is one foot above that isn't much.

While, in theory it helps, I'd think that having good case airflow would help exponentially more.

corbec
10-13-2003, 01:59 PM
my basement is like 70ยฐ and my room 82ยฐ

sandman
10-13-2003, 02:03 PM
I meant in your room, the difference in temperatre at your carpet, and at the top of the case isn't going to be much different.

corbec
10-13-2003, 02:07 PM
maybe i will flip my case or something some time...

st0nedpenguin
10-14-2003, 07:41 AM
Put it in your basement, then just whack cabling everywhere, viola! Cool computer. :D