PDA

View Full Version : 120.2 CPU Loop vs Ultima-90

Cornelious0_0
11-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Hey all, just have a quick question before I start to budget for the coming months of modding.

At the moment my E8400 is running at 4.04GHz 1.36v cooled by my Thermalright Ultima-90. I have a single Xigmatek 92mm fan on the Ultima-90 that is in the 30-40cfm range and my load temps under full load (Orthos Blend for 4+ hours) are 55c and 51c for Core0 and Core1 respectively.

My dilemma is this, I am planning a 120.2 setup for the CPU alone and I would like to make some half decent headway on my temps/clock speed as well as visual appeal. I'm not 100% set on every piece of the loop but I will be using either a Black Ice GT Stealth 240 or a Swiftech MCR220 (due to space constraints in my TJ08) with a pair of Scythe S-Flex "G" 120mm fans rated @ 75cfm in a "push" setup. Given my current load temps do you guys think it's feasible to expect at least a 10c drop in my load temps with water if I don't skimp on the pump/CPU block?

Thanks in advance for your time, I'm really hoping to iron things out soon so I can start seriously budgeting and planning for what's going to be my most well done modded case/system to date!

evoted
11-06-2008, 11:56 AM
what is your ambient temp?

i have a 6750 @ 3.4 (65nm), but i went from 57C to 45C, ambient at 37C, i have a PA 120.2 with a pair of YL medium and a GPU.

inCore
11-06-2008, 02:47 PM
I would say you may experience a drop like that, depending on how it works out for you. As you obviously know, the S-Flex G fans are great for rads and you can't really go wrong with an MCR. It's always hard to say exactly how much of an effect a certain setup is going to have but you will see a drop in any case.

evoted, ambient at 37 degrees? Damn.

SiGfever
11-06-2008, 03:05 PM
You should see a nice improvement with a MCR220 and and a decent pump and WB.

I use those fans in my "push" part of my push/pull on a PA120.3, great fans.

Cornelious0_0
11-06-2008, 06:15 PM
My ambient temp ranges from 18-22c.

I don't plan on skimping on the cpu block or pump (I'm thinking a Swiftech GTZ and a DCC pump /w a reservoir top) so no worries there. Its just gonna be the CPU in the loop so I'm hoping that I see at least a 10c drop in load temps.

You guys think that a 40c load temp is to much to expect out of the 120.2 loop at my current clock/voltage and a 20c room temp using the GTZ and an MCR220 with a pair of Scythe "G"s?

hellcamino
11-06-2008, 06:22 PM
My ambient temp ranges from 18-22c.

I don't plan on skimping on the cpu block or pump (I'm thinking a Swiftech GTZ and a DCC pump /w a reservoir top) so no worries there. Its just gonna be the CPU in the loop so I'm hoping that I see at least a 10c drop in load temps.

You guys think that a 40c load temp is to much to expect out of the 120.2 loop at my current clock/voltage and a 20c room temp using the GTZ and an MCR220 with a pair of Scythe "G"s?

I would guess that is close to what you will actually get.

Cornelious0_0
11-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I would guess that is close to what you will actually get.

Good to hear, now I have to make sure I wanna sell the GTX260 and HD4870 to pickup a 4870x2...or should I get a 4850x2 or GTX280 and use the extra cash towards the watercooling.

I'll probly end up with the 4870x2, pairing it up with a 4.4GHz E8400 is to tempting being a benchmark whore.

Cornelious0_0
11-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Gah, I dunno now, the lower heat output and noise of the GTX280 are really appealing, and it might be worth it to help insure I can afford my watercooling.

We'll see, still a bit of time to make up my mind.

hellcamino
11-06-2008, 06:40 PM
I would stick to the 260 or 4870 with a dual core.

Cornelious0_0
11-06-2008, 07:31 PM
I know I don't need any more than the 260 or 4870 for gaming @ 1680x1050 but I'm a benchmark whore and I wanna get the most I possibly can out of my system without an actual dual card setup.

hellcamino
11-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Your dual core quite honestly won't have the gonads to feed a 4870X2 for max benchmarks unless of course you are merely looking to get highest score for your cpu. If that is your aim then by all means get a 4870X2 and water cool it as well.

Cornelious0_0
11-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Your dual core quite honestly won't have the gonads to feed a 4870X2 for max benchmarks unless of course you are merely looking to get highest score for your cpu. If that is your aim then by all means get a 4870X2 and water cool it as well.

I honestly don't know if it worth getting rid of the GTX260 I already have now that I really think about it.

I only game at 1680x1050 and I only predominantly play WoW and UT3 anyways...so it's not like I'm lacking in the GPU department with the GTX260.

I'm sure that a 4.4GHz E8400 would fuel an HD4870x2 fairly well, but the reason I'm considering just keeping the GTX260 now is because I priced out my watercooling loop for the CPU and selling the 4870 after I get the RMA replacement would basically pay for the whole loop...and cash is tight...so that would help immensely.

Here's the parts I'm looking into for the CPU loop:

- Swiftech Apogee GTZ CPU Block
- Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump 12v Pro /w Water Tank
- Black Ice GT Stealth 240 Radiator
- 2 x Scythe S-Flex "G" @ 75cfm

I'm fairly confident in the loop itself...and I could very easily have the h2O running without completing the rest of my case mods in advance, so being able to (almost) pay for the water in full without dipping into my own wallet is very exciting.

I think I'll "put up" with the GTX260 for now so I can order my watercooling, I don't need the extra GPU power at all, and the watercooling will please me MUCH more then the faster card that would go to waste 90% of the time.

Waterlogged
11-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I honestly don't know if it worth getting rid of the GTX260 I already have now that I really think about it.

I only game at 1680x1050 and I only predominantly play WoW and UT3 anyways...so it's not like I'm lacking in the GPU department with the GTX260.

I'm sure that a 4.4GHz E8400 would fuel an HD4870x2 fairly well, but the reason I'm considering just keeping the GTX260 now is because I priced out my watercooling loop for the CPU and selling the 4870 after I get the RMA replacement would basically pay for the whole loop...and cash is tight...so that would help immensely.

Here's the parts I'm looking into for the CPU loop:

- Swiftech Apogee GTZ CPU Block
- Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump 12v Pro /w Water Tank
- Black Ice GT Stealth 240 Radiator
- 2 x Scythe S-Flex "G" @ 75cfm

I'm fairly confident in the loop itself...and I could very easily have the h2O running without completing the rest of my case mods in advance, so being able to (almost) pay for the water in full without dipping into my own wallet is very exciting.

I think I'll "put up" with the GTX260 for now so I can order my watercooling, I don't need the extra GPU power at all, and the watercooling will please me MUCH more then the faster card that would go to waste 90% of the time.

Don't do it, go with the MCR instead, you'll be happier. "Stealth" is a misnomer. It is restrictive with both the water and air and it'll takes a rather strong static pressure fan to get anything good out of it temp wise, adding more noise than what the high fin count causes already. I have one and regret buying it every time I look at it. I'd give it away but there's nobody I dislike that much.

hellcamino
11-06-2008, 10:18 PM
At 1680x1050 a 4870X2 would certainly be a waste and in benchmarks would get slaughtered with a dual core behind it, your loop looks good though. If you were close by I would be tempted to buy your 4870 myself, PM me if you are interested.

"Put up with" a GTX260 huh? For a "budget" gaming pc it sounds like you are doing alright.

Edit: I've never used the stealth rad personally but I have used the MCR220 and it would certainly be fine with your setup.

hellcamino
11-06-2008, 10:29 PM
@Waterlogged, if you turn your PM's back on I would be happy to PM you my address if you really want to give that radiator away.

Waterlogged
11-06-2008, 10:37 PM
@Waterlogged, if you turn your PM's back on I would be happy to PM you my address if you really want to give that radiator away.

I wouldn't wish this rad upon my worst enemy...it sucks that badly. It may just have a date with a bandsaw somewhere in the future, about the only thing it's good for is educational purposes.

hellcamino
11-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Haha I have a perfect experiment in mind for something like that, it actually sounds perfect. I would discuss it via pm but am unwilling to in the forum until I have some viable test results.

FrostyPanda
11-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Hey all, just have a quick question before I start to budget for the coming months of modding.

At the moment my E8400 is running at 4.04GHz 1.36v cooled by my Thermalright Ultima-90. I have a single Xigmatek 92mm fan on the Ultima-90 that is in the 30-40cfm range and my load temps under full load (Orthos Blend for 4+ hours) are 55c and 51c for Core0 and Core1 respectively.

My dilemma is this, I am planning a 120.2 setup for the CPU alone and I would like to make some half decent headway on my temps/clock speed as well as visual appeal. I'm not 100% set on every piece of the loop but I will be using either a Black Ice GT Stealth 240 or a Swiftech MCR220 (due to space constraints in my TJ08) with a pair of Scythe S-Flex "G" 120mm fans rated @ 75cfm in a "push" setup. Given my current load temps do you guys think it's feasible to expect at least a 10c drop in my load temps with water if I don't skimp on the pump/CPU block?

Thanks in advance for your time, I'm really hoping to iron things out soon so I can start seriously budgeting and planning for what's going to be my most well done modded case/system to date!

As much as I love water cooling, I suggest you either go buy an IFX-14 or the new TRUE all copper version. Those would probly get you close to your desired overclock and temp without the hassle and price of LCS.

I'm about to get flamed.......I can feeeeeeeel it :shocked:

hellcamino
11-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't knock you for that advice but I would say that the copper TRUE is a waste of $$$ and just to stick to the regular one. How many of us actually run a 24/7 oc that wouldn't be feasible on air? I know I do on my gaming pc but from what I usually see most folks don't, I do see the OP will be after another 400mhz on water though so I say it's worth it in terms of learning, tinkering and general fun.

Cornelious0_0
11-07-2008, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys...I'll definitely go with the MCR220 over the Stealth.

Unfortunately I do not have the option of installing a TRUE in my system, there's not enough room between the mobo and PSU in the mATX TJ08 for the TRUE.

I'm pretty sure I'm just about settled on what I'm gonna do, now I just have to figure out if I'm gonna sell the HD4870 to pay for the watercooling or if I'm gonna use it to pay for all the other case mods first and then add the h2O later.

Cornelious0_0
11-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Plans have changed slightly, I just had a member of another forum offer to give me some watercooling gear to help out after my Shuttle died.

I'm being offered the following:

- DangerDen DD-CPX1 12v Pump: http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=279&cat=23&page=1
- Magicool Pro Slim Profile 120.2 Radiator: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200&products_id=21113
- Swiftech MicroRes: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=318&products_id=3615

This is great as it saves me over $100, and leaves me only the CPU block to purchase (aside from random bits and pieces) to get my loop running!

I'm not sure how the Magicool 120.2 stacks up against the MCR220 but in all fairness, I doubt it would completely ruin my loop, and $60 means quite a bit to me right now with cash being as tight as it is.

There's a good chance that I'm just going to keep the GTX260 so that once I sell the HD4870 and get this free loot I'll have 90% of my case mods and watercooling setup completely covered.