PDA

View Full Version : GTX 480 up for grabs... the poll

b@llz0r
11-05-2008, 02:13 AM
I couldnt figure out how to add a poll to the last thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206156)so here it is

The Person with the most votes gets the 480, and ive also decided to donate a couple of spare 240s to second and third

I arrived at this short list by using the following criteria:

1 - Sounded like they needed it

2 - Offered to donate their superseded gear to somebody

3 - Could only have 10 options

I just ask that everyone respect the results of the poll... the result will be final, no recounts or contesting the results

and the nomenees are (in post order):

Kayin;3391343']I could mount it vertically behind Mithril, which would completely obscure it, and use it to run my CPU loop. That would let me move my chipsets to the 2x120, and ditch the AL 80mm rad they're on now.

Yes, I just said I have copper blocks and an AL rad cause I'm poor. It's an old CoolerMaster Aquagate. Crappiest of the crap.

I even have pics of my burned NB from air...

I haven't got any watercooling gear though, but this could be a start. Cost for initial start up of a watercooling setup is prohibitively high for a broke college student like me.

I would mount it in the roof of my Rocketfish case, aka rebranded Lian Li G75B.

EDIT: 9th?

i would mount it off the back of my antec 900 in xtreme ghetto style so i can have my hard drive bays back and then give away my rads to people who need them. 11th? the october race for folding is coming up i need both my 8800gtx's under water for some volt moding xtreme overclocking folding i don't know if my current rads will hold tho.

I'd mount it on eBay using a picture and description :)

(j/k)

Nah, I'd probably mount it across the top of my TJ09 on bolts and donate my RS360 to someone who needs it.

it will be my first WC part, and would be mounted internally on the whole bottom of my thermaltake armor. got fans for a rad, but no rad yet :D

edit: 12th?

I would put white led fans in it, and mount it either at the front or bottom of my next case (probably a tj07)
This will be my first wc rig :) Woot!

I live in New England. The forecast shows heavy snow flurries already starting in the next week.
I would plan to mount this outside the window next to my benching rig in my room.
New England = cheap chilled liquid cooling.

I would be so incredibly grateful to get this, i've been trying to go WC for a long time but the one limiting factor has been money, as good new rads are really expensive, and...it adds up.

btw props for doing this. makes me all warm and fuzzy about XS =]

Very generous of you! I would be very thankful indeed and mount it vertically in the back of my Xaser VI case listed in sig. My build is not done because I have not had extra money. I have 6 kids with 5 different mothers with only 1 living with me. Think of the child support payments and you will know my pain. I have been doing this build now for 9 months (seriously) because I am so damn poor. I have no home (2 bedroom apartment) and no car. Me and my wife both have to work to make ends meet. The daycare for our child on top of that grabs the rest of the money. I have been using my holiday pay to make my build. Each time having to wait to accumulate money to make another purchase. So basically vacations are out until the build is done.

I was just about to buy one of these for my first water cooling setup! You could help a aspiring first timer to save some money that could be spent on other parts of my system! I would be eternally in your debt, and will create a worklog that mentions how generous and giving you are :) lol. It's worth a shot!

Edit: Not to mention a fellow Aussie in desperate need of a leg up! :)

Okay to get my chance :)

I'll place it in the bottom of a TJ07, including a hopefully detailed work log for all interested XS'ers. This would really help this first time water cooler get started! I've been planning and reading non stop since i joined! I would LOVE the opportunity to grab this rad! It will help out more than you know(uni student). Not to mention adding another build to the work log section!
:) :up:

I'd mod my Cosmos S to make it fit in the top, somehow! Or, mount it off the back of my case on a fan shroud made from duct tape and random screws :D. I don't have a watercooling setup yet, I'm trying to slowly accumulate parts but it's hard on a student budget. My goal is a CPU loop at least by February 2009! We'll see how that works out...

I'll post some pics tomorrow ;D.

-Zigosity

twwen2
11-05-2008, 02:29 AM
One vote for switch8, my uni mate and fellow Aussie! :up:

Edit: Hang on, there's now two votes for switch. Did you vote for yourself you sly dog?:ROTF:

switch8
11-05-2008, 02:42 AM
One vote for switch8, my uni mate and fellow Aussie! :up:

Edit: Hang on, there's now two votes for switch. Did you vote for yourself you sly dog?:ROTF:

No What the!? People may actually be voting for me! :) I promise if i receive this i will be eternally grateful! I appreciate any consideration! Also he may save money on shipping! (i'm an Aussie)

I'll do my best to create a nice, carefully planned build log for all to enjoy!

I may be new but i'm loving this place and am here to stay! This would mean a huge gain for my water cooling build!

Navanod
11-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Kayin
He recently lost a mobo in a freak accident and he's using an alum rad, can't have that now can we?

twwen2
11-05-2008, 03:42 AM
No What the!? People may actually be voting for me! :) I promise if i receive this i will be eternally grateful! I appreciate any consideration! Also he may save money on shipping! (i'm an Aussie)

I'll do my best to create a nice, carefully planned build log for all to enjoy!

I may be new but i'm loving this place and am here to stay! This would mean a huge gain for my water cooling build!

Now now, you've had your chance to tell us why you need it, it's voting in this thread boy! Go and play in the corner until the result is finalised. :p:

[XC] riptide
11-05-2008, 04:10 AM
Said by riptide...somewhere
Eh... I really need a GTX 480. I've always wanted one since I was a baby... eh... My daddy is in jail and my mommy ran away,.... can I haz it? lol

Where me...?

EDIT: Anyways I voted for Polizie/Tom cos he's from Ohio, and they don't have much in Ohio.

philbrown23
11-05-2008, 06:45 AM
I Voted Kayin, 2 reasons: I feel bad cuz his rig bit the dust and it happens to me alot so I know how he feels, and damn alu rad, just give'm the 480 alu is horrible!

2low4u
11-05-2008, 06:58 AM
I'm not in it :( heheh But I voted for Kayin & it looks like he has taken quite the lead lol. Good goin dude!

Xilikon
11-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Another vote for Kayin, he deserve it a lot due to what happened to him recently.

Kayin
11-05-2008, 07:39 AM
What's the ending date on the poll?

Xilikon
11-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Kayin;3407899']What's the ending date on the poll?

If you look at the top of the poll, it's written : "This poll will close on 11-10-2008 at 05:17 AM"

Slovnaft
11-05-2008, 07:46 AM
..i had to vote for myself...
it get's so cold here i'd have to use antifreeze or alcohol solution as a coolant!

switch8
11-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Good job Kayin..

To many people in the USA to contend with haha.. :up:

NaeKuh
11-05-2008, 01:30 PM
LOL.....you're gonna have even less now. I voted Kayin. I can't bear to watch him try and make a rad his self :)

andyc

+1

:rofl:

kayin you have great ideas, but you making a rad = danger. :rofl:

inCore
11-05-2008, 03:03 PM
But I was being serious when I said I'd run around holding the rad in my hand because I can't afford fans. :p:

On a serious note, I'd love to see Kayin make a Lord of the Rings themed rad out of wood.

You have my vote.

BlueAqua
11-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Go Switch8 GO!

Dangals
11-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Another Vote for Switch8 - I know just how expensive everything becomes down here in Aus so anything to help someone save some cash for their first LC rig!! :up:

switch8
11-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Go Switch8 GO!

Haha, thanks heaps BA ! I appreciate it more than you know!

Another Vote for Switch8 - I know just how expensive everything becomes down here in Aus so anything to help someone save some cash for their first LC rig!! :up:

You're a legend Dangals. Helpful as always!

Hondacity
11-05-2008, 03:59 PM
I vote switch8

Omastar
11-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Voted for Kayin.

Zigosity
11-05-2008, 04:06 PM
I voted Kayin, an 80mm alu rad with copper blocks = 100x worse than no rad at all xD!

-Zigosity

b@llz0r
11-05-2008, 08:33 PM
dont you guys watch the news?

Mc Kayin lost!!!

(bad joke)

WhiteFireDragon
11-05-2008, 08:42 PM
lol wait so am i a contestant? i noticed i wasn't included as a choice for the polls, but my name is there in the post description between YMAA and breathemetal in the first post. doesn't matter much, i wouldn't have voted for myself anyways. voted for kayin, so hopefully he gets this rad and i get his old one :D

switch8
11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
dont you guys watch the news?

Mc Kayin lost!!!

(bad joke)

Haha, call me immature but it still got a few outta me!

Kayin
11-05-2008, 08:53 PM
I LOLed.

WFD, when I get confirmation of a replacement, I'll drain and send it.

Sadasius
11-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Wow I got votes?!? :clap:

b@llz0r
11-06-2008, 03:22 AM
lol wait so am i a contestant? i noticed i wasn't included as a choice for the polls, but my name is there in the post description between YMAA and breathemetal in the first post. doesn't matter much, i wouldn't have voted for myself anyways. voted for kayin, so hopefully he gets this rad and i get his old one :D

sry mate, i screwed up there

septim
11-06-2008, 04:08 AM
from Naekuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
LOL.....you're gonna have even less now. I voted Kayin. I can't bear to watch him try and make a rad his self
andyc
+1

kayin you have great ideas, but you making a rad = danger.

agreed with andy +1
a good item to help kayin with all those DIY blocks he has planned.

Ashraf
11-06-2008, 04:28 AM
Looks like you can end this poll early since [XC] Kayin got higher than every contestant.

alacheesu
11-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Voted for switch8 because aussies talk funny

AndrewZorn
11-06-2008, 06:25 AM
I don't want to re-read it ALL, but I remember 'voting' for skinnee. Maybe you'll send it to skinnee first for testing, THEN to the victor?

b@llz0r
11-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Looks like Kayin romped it in for the 480 :up:
PM me your address mate

dont know if anyone noticed, but there is also a 240 gtx for second & third

Kayin
11-06-2008, 07:35 AM
PM sent.

Need to PM bigslappy now...

switch8
11-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Looks like Kayin romped it in for the 480 :up:
PM me your address mate

dont know if anyone noticed, but there is also a 240 gtx for second & third

Good Job Kayin :clap:, you deserve it! Does that mean contest is over?

EDIT: I'd be more than grateful to receive second prize!

Thanks to everyone who voted for me!

Polizei
11-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Good Job Kayin :clap:, you deserve it! Does that mean contest is over?

EDIT: I'd be more than grateful to receive second prize!

Thanks to everyone who voted for me!

Took the words out of my mouth.

Thanks to everyone who has voted for me so far! :)

Kayin, got something on the way for you, bud. PM in a minute. :yepp: :up:

switch8
11-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Took the words out of my mouth.

Thanks to everyone who has voted for me so far! :)

Kayin, got something on the way for you, bud. PM in a minute. :yepp: :up:

I think we should also say a very big thank you to b@llz0r for holding this competition! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :up:

Polizei
11-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I think we should also say a very big thank you to b@llz0r for holding this competition! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :up:

How could I forget. Even bigger thanks to b@llz0r! :yepp::up:

Kayin
11-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Of course. Thanks, bro. We're all grateful, not just for the hardware but also for the willingness to help.

b@llz0r
11-06-2008, 05:57 PM
no worries guys,

I hate to see good water cooling gear gathering dust when it could really help someone out.

b@llz0r
11-06-2008, 10:56 PM
the 480 is now winging its way to the US of A

4 days to go on the poll and we'll see who gets second & third :up:

switch8
11-06-2008, 11:45 PM
the 480 is now winging its way to the US of A

4 days to go on the poll and we'll see who gets second & third :up:

Oh snap, it's still goin! :ROTF:

Keep voting! Haha

Polizei
11-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Voting over?

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who voted for me, and an even bigger thanks to b@llz0r for his immense generosity. :)

aspire.comptech
11-10-2008, 01:41 PM
I think your generosity is awesome but it kinda bugs me how half the people in he poll have $300 cases (TJ07) and are trying to get this freebie. I really think it should go to someone who otherwise couldn't afford it.

Just my .02

switch8
11-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Voting over?

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who voted for me, and an even bigger thanks to b@llz0r for his immense generosity. :)

Agreed 110% b@llz0r, you're a champ mate! Showin everyone what us Aussies are made of ;) haha. A huge thanks to anyone who voted for me! I do appreciate it! This will make a huge difference in saving money for the rest of my build!

I think your generosity is awesome but it kinda bugs me how half the people in he poll have $300 cases (TJ07) and are trying to get this freebie. I really think it should go to someone who otherwise couldn't afford it.

Just my .02

This is a valid point, this is why Kayin has won first prize, he was the most deserving. I myself don't have a TJ07 yet, although that is what i am saving for. Although it may take a long time, it's definitely worth it. I wouldn't say i otherwise couldn't afford it, i would just have to save for longer (uni student). b@llz0r has helped more than enough people giving first, second and third prize. He could only choose from the people that entered. :)

But i do see your point :up:

bigslappy
11-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Kayin has a NEW MoBo coming his way .. as i said i'd give up a MoBo if he won .. he's getting a New in Da Box GigaByte EP45-UD3P

Zigosity
11-10-2008, 11:01 PM

Just my .02

You've gotta remember, just because we have some expensive stuff doesn't mean we didn't work our asses off for it.

I know my cosmos isn't the cheapest case around, but got damn I worked my ass off every day last summer to be able to afford this rig!

Grats on everyone who won, you deserve it : ). And thanks to my four supporters, lawl.

-Zigosity

aspire.comptech
11-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Kayin has a NEW MoBo coming his way .. as i said i'd give up a MoBo if he won .. he's getting a New in Da Box GigaByte EP45-UD3P

Feel free to shoot a new mobo my way lol

I really want to get rid of this 975x board I've got, but I can't afford to upgrade and the damn thing is the only part of my computer limiting my e6600.

Stupid 400mhz FSB wall...

switch8
11-10-2008, 11:17 PM
You've gotta remember, just because we have some expensive stuff doesn't mean we didn't work our asses off for it.

-Zigosity

You said it! :up:

b@llz0r
11-11-2008, 05:10 AM
Well I reckon this is a great result... an enthussiest down on his luck got the 480 and two newbies got their first radiator. :up:

Ploiezi, PM me your address, switch has allready :D

Polizei
11-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Feel free to shoot a new mobo my way lol

I really want to get rid of this 975x board I've got, but I can't afford to upgrade and the damn thing is the only part of my computer limiting my e6600.

Stupid 400mhz FSB wall...

I thought the same thing too. I thought my 975x board was limiting my overclock of my E6600, but turns out I am chip limited at 385fsb. P45 didn't help at all. :(

Well I reckon this is a great result... an enthussiest down on his luck got the 480 and two newbies got their first radiator. :up:

Ploiezi, PM me your address, switch has allready :D

Will do. :)

aspire.comptech
11-11-2008, 09:53 AM
I thought the same thing too. I thought my 975x board was limiting my overclock of my E6600, but turns out I am chip limited at 385fsb. P45 didn't help at all. :(

Well I'm almost positive my chip will go past the max 420fsb I've hit with it.

To get there though was hell. Took the rig outside in the winter for the 0C ambient. Got one super pi at 1M before it crashed.

Looking online it seems I have a good stepping and 4ghz should be easy.
Relatively low vid for a 65nm as well 1.225...

Polizei
11-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Well I'm almost positive my chip will go past the max 420fsb I've hit with it.

To get there though was hell. Took the rig outside in the winter for the 0C ambient. Got one super pi at 1M before it crashed.

Looking online it seems I have a good stepping and 4ghz should be easy.
Relatively low vid for a 65nm as well 1.225...

You're lucky then. My VID is 1.325. I guess that's what I get for buying Core2 on its release day back in 2006. :rolleyes:

aspire.comptech
11-11-2008, 10:40 AM
I bought mine winter of 06 as well...

Paid a pretty penny for it too... $311 bucks plus tax.

Polizei
11-11-2008, 10:52 AM
$356 shipped from ZZF on release day. :(

Waterlogged
11-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I bought mine winter of 06 as well...

Paid a pretty penny for it too... $311 bucks plus tax.

$356 shipped from ZZF on release day. :(

BAH!...amateurs. :shakes: Try $829 for a 1GHz PIII within the first week. I think I'm still paying for that chip too. http://smilies.vidahost.com/ups/archinto/smile2.gif:sick:

Polizei
11-11-2008, 11:24 AM
BAH!...amateurs. :shakes: Try $829 for a 1GHz PIII within the first week. I think I'm still paying for that chip too. http://smilies.vidahost.com/ups/archinto/smile2.gif:sick:

Shhh! Sparky will see that and he will swoop in and nag us about credit card debt! Shhh! :sofa:

I just have to sneak purchases past him to get this water loop up and running.

:para:

switch8
11-11-2008, 01:24 PM

Yep, i think this was the correct choice made by the voters. Kayin is the most deserving of the 480! Thanks again b@llz0r! :clap:

Sparky
11-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Shhh! Sparky will see that and he will swoop in and nag us about credit card debt! Shhh! :sofa:

I just have to sneak purchases past him to get this water loop up and running.

:para:

*ahem*
watch that plastic usage ;) :p:

Polizei
11-11-2008, 08:37 PM
*ahem*
watch that plastic usage ;) :p:

Y helo thar! :wave:

:wasntme:

Kayin
11-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Rad just arrived five minutes ago, thanks a bunch!

Clever, sending that jar of Vegemite as well...

My mail carrier is always used to strange packages, but he looked concerned witht he weight of this one...

Polizei
11-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Kayin;3426528']Rad just arrived five minutes ago, thanks a bunch!

My mail carrier is always used to strange packages, but he looked concerned witht he weight of this one...

Quick shipping! That was little more than a week, no?

I'm surprised customs didn't sit on it for a week and then play rugby with it for another two weeks.

Lets see some pics Kayin! Put it good use. :)

bigslappy
11-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Kayin yer MoBo showed up just now but i'm off to work right now ..... SOOOO ... in DA mail tomorrow ....

Kayin
11-13-2008, 10:37 AM
No, they DID play rugby with it. Nasty denting on the top tank, but it still seals just fine, and I can hide that, as well.

Awesome on the board, this computer I'm on is driving me batty...

Polizei
11-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Kayin;3426669']No, they DID play rugby with it. Nasty denting on the top tank, but it still seals just fine, and I can hide that, as well.

Awesome on the board, this computer I'm on is driving me batty...

Sorry to hear that about the top tank... hopefully it doesn't crack or leak later on. :(

My computer is driving me nuts too... random blue screens and random lock ups in COD4 and even at my desktop. Accessing files on a different harddrive causes hangs where my music will stutter for 5 seconds or more. I think I have one or more harddrives taking a dump, and if not, my memory is going out. :shakes: :(

twwen2
11-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Kayin;3426528']Rad just arrived five minutes ago, thanks a bunch!

Haha, you sent him vegemite Bullzor!? :rofl:
Good stuff, another proud aussie. :up: