PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia X58 and Current lawsuit

Glow9
11-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Well Nvidia and AMD with what I understand getting sued for some infringement on pci technology of some sort with it's previous boards. So here are my questions:

Did Nvidia move to just supplying X58 SLI chips for Intel because they knew this lawsuit was on the horizon? Hence we see EVGA using X58 now.
I'm guessing XFX and such will follow suit as well and we wont see new Nvidia chipset intel boards for a while.

Also with AMD boards how does this effect Nvidia? I read AMD is getting sued for this exact same pci prefetch stuff too. Curious how they are going to get around this? I wouldn't be surprised if companies start implementing new standard for devices considering it's like they keep getting sued left and right for this or that.

Maybe someone can clear more of this stuff up for me.

ReverendMaynard
11-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Well Nvidia and AMD with what I understand getting sued for some infringement on pci technology of some sort with it's previous boards. So here are my questions:

Did Nvidia move to just supplying X58 SLI chips for Intel because they knew this lawsuit was on the horizon? Hence we see EVGA using X58 now.
I'm guessing XFX and such will follow suit as well and we wont see new Nvidia chipset intel boards for a while.

Also with AMD boards how does this effect Nvidia? I read AMD is getting sued for this exact same pci prefetch stuff too. Curious how they are going to get around this? I wouldn't be surprised if companies start implementing new standard for devices considering it's like they keep getting sued left and right for this or that.

You have a source for this info?

metro.cl
11-04-2008, 07:18 PM

Nope, NVIDIA did that because they don't quite have a licence for X58 from Intel and the high end market is really small and if NVIDIA wanted to e in it they will come like 6 month later so it wasnt a good profit for them.

You will see boards with chipsets for socket 1160 there the market is huge and nvidia will deliver in time.

cowpuppy
11-05-2008, 04:30 AM
Ok 1st off the X58 is still a Intell chip and Nvidia isn't making them. What is happening is Nvidia is selling a bios option that allows the end user to implement SLI. For every MB that they sell with the bios option they have to in return give Nvida some predetermined amount of $$$. This is good for us OCer's and modders as we may be able to hack the bios of a cheaper non SLI capable board and implement SLI our self's. As with any Intel NB cross fire works right out of the gate. Nvidia just wants money and is charging extra $$$ just so we the end user not only have to buy 2 vid cards but also pay a licensing fee to use them, doesn't make any seance to me when ATI gives this privilege away.

What ATI, Nvidia and any other card makers are getting sued for is that someone has a patent on the PCI prefetch witch makes communications with the graphics card and NB quicker. It has nothing to do with SLI or Cross Fire, single graphics cards use this prefetch also. This Individual or Corp. is suing ATI, Nvidia for stealing their idea.

Unless ATI, Nvidia pony up some $$$ and buy into this patent we will suffer as video cards just may take a hit and get a little slower. They will also be instructed to write new bios's for the cards already on the market to disable the prefetch. Card makers will have to reflash their entire inventory before sending them to market.