PDA

View Full Version : Strange Blackops BIOS problem - Win Xp wont boot

Ryan12
11-02-2008, 03:15 AM
I did ask this in the G32 BIOS thread.. But since it wasnt asked i thought i might get an answer here lol :)

Ok since updating the BIOS to G32 with my raid 0 setup - no worries at all!
However this is providing i using 'OC GEAR' Overclocked settings 1 (forgot the name of it, but its just your saved overclock profile)
Anyways - this was my stable overclocked settings whilst using G28 bios etc etc. But when i change settings - voltages etc i can no longer boot into windows, it will load into windows but freeze on the desktop before anything loads in the task bar.

So i reverted back to g30 bios and tried to load with defaults with no luck at all, still freezing at the exact same point and making some funny noise in my headphones
So then i loaded back up my Overclocked settings from 'OC GEAR" and booted up and perfect!

So i guess what im asking is - why the hell cant i change any settings, and why will this ONE profile only work? O and i should mention changing settings in aegis panel does actually work ok

I have E8400 @ 4.1ghz now
PSU - 620 antec
Blackops Board
2gb of corsair 1600 mem

Hope someone can give me an answer (saaya :D )

raptor1
11-02-2008, 03:48 AM
Hi! Ryan12

i have noticed that there is a glitch with the profiles between different bioses

i was using bios g28 and had my most stable settings stored in profile 1

when i went up to bios g30 which introduced new options in the memory settings page that were not in g28, when i loaded my profile created in g28 in to bios g30 the bios automatically set these new settings to values other than default which caused my board to become unstable, i am still trying to find the right values for these new settings

i think this is also happing in g32, as it probably has new settings that are not in previous bioses and when you load a saved profile from a previous bios the board seems to act a bit weird

i have not tried g32 as i find g30 works for me

Raptor1

Ryan12
11-02-2008, 04:18 AM
Interesting because my settings from G30 - G32 in the overclocked profile has been the only thing that has maintained stable lol... Very odd and im just annoyed that i cant overclock any higher or lower because it simply wont let me touch anything

Sailindawg
11-02-2008, 05:42 AM
It seems that once one changes BIOS, do not use stored profiles. I changed BIOS from PO2 to PO5, tried to load a saved profile from PO2 into PO5 and the pc would not boot after saving the PO2 profile under the PO5 BIOS.

I solved the problem by using the BIOS jumper pin to force BIOS chip 2. Booted to windows and reflashed BIOS chip one. By forcing the BIOS jumper pin, one can essentially "hotflash" the corrupted BIOS chip in Windows.

Since that time, I force the BIOS chip selection by using the selector jumper pin. If I flash a BIOS, it's with USB or floppy, selecting only that chip by jumper. I do not use a saved profile from one BIOS to another. Having used DFI boards with CMOS Reloaded, DFI stated quite plainly not to use stored profiles with different BIOS versions. I thought my experience was isolated, however, it was not. DO NOT USE stored profiles with different BIOS versions. This board is very robust and the dual BIOS helped me out when I corrupted my BIOS chip with a stored profile.

Wotcher
11-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Having used DFI boards with CMOS Reloaded, DFI stated quite plainly not to use stored profiles with different BIOS versions.Asus boards (and I would suggest all boards) are the same.

Sailindawg
11-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Asus boards (and I would suggest all boards) are the same.

:up:

Ryan12
11-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Ok, i will try to flash the main BIOS, however - as i said before.... ONLY that 1 stored profile will work.. Nothing else will work at all.
I will flash the bios and see how i go thanks :)

Sailindawg
11-02-2008, 05:09 PM
@ryan12

Before you flash, set optimized defaults to guarantee that you are stable. Flash, reboot, set optimized defaults, reboot, then go into BIOS, set clocks that worked before, reboot. Now you should able to boot directly to windows.

Ryan12
11-02-2008, 06:32 PM
@ryan12

Before you flash, set optimized defaults to guarantee that you are stable. Flash, reboot, set optimized defaults, reboot, then go into BIOS, set clocks that worked before, reboot. Now you should able to boot directly to windows.
Ok did what you said, but once i pressed ALT+F2 to flash the bios using G30 bios off of my floppy disk so then it started to flash it... and then it just was flashing 'please wait' for about 30 minutes so i figured nothing was happening so i rebooted and had to set back to my old overclock profile to be able to boot up into windows to type this lol.

So im confused on what the problem is and why i cant flash the bios and only that one overclock saved setting will work.

O and u mentioned u can use your USB instead of floppy, when i tried to use my usb stick it still kept looking for the floppy, is there something i need to change in the bios?

UPDATE - I flashed back to G28, but even on everything on default windows would still not load.. So i just set my settings back to my old overclocked settings and booted up perfect. Weird thing cpuz says the bios is 6.00pg and the bios says G28?

Sailindawg
11-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Koda made FoxKey (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201174&highlight=foxkey) to make flashing very easy. His latest image file has the most recent G32 BIOS. Give this tool a try!

Ryan12
11-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Nah it will flash the bios fine but still cant change any settings, guess the bios is just screwed.. I will just have to put up with not being able to just anything.
There was little improvement i could change the FSB a tiny bit but would result in the system being unstable either way