PDA

View Full Version : 10" Laptop?

GMX
11-02-2008, 02:28 AM
I need a small laptop.
Normal office work with a game or two every now (not graphic intensive games at all btw) and then.

All I see at this size is Intel Atom, VIA etc.

I don't want that, I have a 1.6ghz old banias and it's slow enough for simple crap like Word/web surfing.

Is there a laptop out there that is thin, 10" with a Merom CPU?

TIA

Klarko
11-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Did you search newegg?

inCore
11-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Have a look at www.notebookcheck.com. They have a lot of reviews and you can sort all the laptops they've tested in a lot of ways, for example in screen size order or type of CPU.

m0da
11-02-2008, 11:08 AM
sony has a tz series- 11.1"
well, the new 11.1" notebook is the TT series*
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644590401&parentCategoryId=16154

IvanAndreevich
11-02-2008, 07:19 PM
sony has a tz series- 11.1"
well, the new 11.1" notebook is the TT series*
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644590401&parentCategoryId=16154

Haha that's one overpriced pieced of sh|t ;)

Magnj
11-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Haha that's one overpriced pieced of sh|t ;)

Gonna have to compromise somewhere...

Turok
11-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Seeing that gaming may be the most demanding application you'll be running, and storage space would be your greatest limitation, lets start with these questions:
1) What is the most demanding game you intend to play?
2) How much storage will you need, and will you be using this storage device intensively?
I.e. constant reformatting, constant data exchange between external drive and the notebook, anything that may require a lot of reads and writes to your storage device.

additionally,
3) what is your budget?
4) Portability or performance?
5) does it have to be 10" (usually 1024x600)?
In other words, can it be an 8.9" with 1024x600 or a 12-13" with 1280x800.

All these questions are essential in figuring out if a netbook or a notebook is right for you.

I would personally recommend the following:
1) Only focus on screen sizes that offer the highest resolution for the size of the notebook. I.e 8.9" 1024x600 or 12" 1280x800, instead of 10" 1024x600.
2) If your play games less demanding than games like CS 1.6 and WC3, then an 8.9" netbook would be the way to go. Otherwise, a 12-13" notebook with a dedicated VGA would be the way to go.
3) With regard to storage, its just a question of either:
A) SSD = fast and saves powerr, but wears out with each read/write and you'll have limited storage.
B) HDD = slow and less power friendly, but lasts much longer and can be found with higher capacities.
Of course, you could choose to upgrade these storage devices after purchasing. e.g. a larger and faster SSD.

I don't recommend notebooks below 12", because they become way too expensive relative to the performance they offer. I also don't recommend netbooks above 8.9", because they become too bulky relative to the performance they offer :p:
8.9" seems to be a sweetspot for very portable and cheap (6-cell) netbooks that last 5-8 hours, while 13" seems like a sweetspot where you can get very portable notebooks with much better gaming performance than an onboard intel GPU, otherwise the next step worth while would be 15" 1680x1050.

GMX
11-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Seeing that gaming may be the most demanding application you'll be running, and storage space would be your greatest limitation, lets start with these questions:
1) What is the most demanding game you intend to play?
2) How much storage will you need, and will you be using this storage device intensively?
I.e. constant reformatting, constant data exchange between external drive and the notebook, anything that may require a lot of reads and writes to your storage device.

additionally,
3) what is your budget?
4) Portability or performance?
5) does it have to be 10" (usually 1024x600)?
In other words, can it be an 8.9" with 1024x600 or a 12-13" with 1280x800.

All these questions are essential in figuring out if a netbook or a notebook is right for you.

I would personally recommend the following:
1) Only focus on screen sizes that offer the highest resolution for the size of the notebook. I.e 8.9" 1024x600 or 12" 1280x800, instead of 10" 1024x600.
2) If your play games less demanding than games like CS 1.6 and WC3, then an 8.9" netbook would be the way to go. Otherwise, a 12-13" notebook with a dedicated VGA would be the way to go.
3) With regard to storage, its just a question of either:
A) SSD = fast and saves powerr, but wears out with each read/write and you'll have limited storage.
B) HDD = slow and less power friendly, but lasts much longer and can be found with higher capacities.
Of course, you could choose to upgrade these storage devices after purchasing. e.g. a larger and faster SSD.

I don't recommend notebooks below 12", because they become way too expensive relative to the performance they offer. I also don't recommend netbooks above 8.9", because they become too bulky relative to the performance they offer :p:
8.9" seems to be a sweetspot for very portable and cheap (6-cell) netbooks that last 5-8 hours, while 13" seems like a sweetspot where you can get very portable notebooks with much better gaming performance than an onboard intel GPU, otherwise the next step worth while would be 15" 1680x1050.

Something like CS Source (even on all low if i have to) for fun and sometimes diablo II.

Not interested in SSD at the moment, pushes the price up too much.
HD space isn't a problem, 80GB would be enough.

Looking more towards portability/battery performance.
Budget, well cheaper is best but if you can sway me, then that's ok. I am going halves with my dad (we will share it - he will use it when O/S).

The screen size has us split.
13" May seem too bulky for what I will do (my current one is 15.4" & too big).
7"-10" seems the perfect size. Then again my father is old and would like a bigger screen.

I'm still not confident with the Atom CPUs

By the way do the MSI U100 & 1000H Asus come with internal CD/DVD-ROM/RW? I can't see any clear pics & nothing is mentioned in the specs.

Turok
11-04-2008, 05:00 AM
Something like CS Source (even on all low if i have to) for fun and sometimes diablo II.

Not interested in SSD at the moment, pushes the price up too much.
HD space isn't a problem, 80GB would be enough.

Looking more towards portability/battery performance.
Budget, well cheaper is best but if you can sway me, then that's ok. I am going halves with my dad (we will share it - he will use it when O/S).

The screen size has us split.
13" May seem too bulky for what I will do (my current one is 15.4" & too big).
7"-10" seems the perfect size. Then again my father is old and would like a bigger screen.

I'm still not confident with the Atom CPUs

By the way do the MSI U100 & 1000H Asus come with internal CD/DVD-ROM/RW? I can't see any clear pics & nothing is mentioned in the specs.

If you're more concerned about battery life, I would encourage a netbook. Diablo II should be able to run on an Atom system, but I would recommend leaving more demanding games (like CSS) for your desktop. That's what I did. I had a 15" notebook and I got tired of the bulkiness, so I decided to "sell" my notebook to my father and I split portability and performance for the same price as my sold 15". $500 for an Eee 901 and $1250 - $500 = $750 to upgrade my Desktop PC to an i7 system :D Still holding off on the upgrade, though.

Well, with regard to the HDD, just note that a cheap-o SSD could be faster than an HDD small enough to fit on a netbook. We are talking iPod like HDDs here :p:

If your old man has problems seeing on an 8.9" LCD, then in that case it makes sense to go with the larger pixel pitch on a 10" netbook. 10" netbooks also have a bit larger keyboard as well.

Ya, the Atom is a very weak CPU, but it saves a lot of power. I think the chipset consumes more power than the Atom itself.:rolleyes:
Also note that:
C7 < Celeron 900Mhz ~ Atom 1.6Ghz < C2D ULV.
Though, the Atom consumes less power than all of the above.

No, you need an external CD/DVD drive for (I think) all netbooks today. I used an external HDD enclosure (IDE drive with USB connector) to do all my CD/DVD installations on my netbook. Formatting an OS wasn't a problem either, the BIOS thought it was a CD/DVD drive. If you need it to run games like StarCraft where you need it, and a no-CD crack is hard to find, try using a CD emulator like Daemon.

I would recommend looking through this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks
Things to look for:
* 6-Cell battery netbooks for portability
* LED back lit displays are good for saving power. My Eee 901 isnt LED backlit, but it still saves enough power to get 5 hrs :)
* Also check reviews, since there are always little details that change everything.

luie
11-12-2008, 06:27 PM
I would recommend looking through this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks
Things to look for:
* 6-Cell battery netbooks for portability
* LED back lit displays are good for saving power. My Eee 901 isnt LED backlit, but it still saves enough power to get 5 hrs :)
* Also check reviews, since there are always little details that change everything.

Great link!

tbone8ty
11-12-2008, 08:58 PM
asus eee pc 1000

MJR
11-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I've been waiting for a good one of these too. I plan to just remote into my workstation if I need to do some heavy lifting, but no one had a reliable enough (and decent priced) 10" that I'm willing to buy.

Malk4vi4n
11-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Just bought a Asus EeePC 1000HA. Atom 1.6, Wifi G, no bluetooth, 1024x600 10.2'' wide.

Well, the best little thing I buy in years. The battery is eternal if u know how to use it. I get 5:00 while browsing, IM, read/edit a document. As for gaming U coudn't properly run second life but I may try CS 1.6 just now.
The screen brightness is great for every enviroment you could actually use a notebook and is great at night even at low levels. I run it with 2gb ram and TinyXP Platinum and It works like a champ.

I think the Eee1000 series is the perfect match between the smallest / actually usable notebook yet. The keyboard is great and u'll get used to it in a couple days but don't expect to see a caps or numlock led couse there isn't any. Overall build is great as always with Asus.

Still didn't figure out how to undervolt it. Tried eeectl but it just causes instant crashes to any setting as it was designed for 701 I think. And the RMclock still don't do Atom...a shame.

I'll try CS tomorrow but I know you can even play Crysis with StreamMyGame (www.streammygame.com)

MJR
11-12-2008, 09:35 PM
hmmmm. interesting. especially the StreamMyGame.

Turok
11-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Just bought a Asus EeePC 1000HA. Atom 1.6, Wifi G, no bluetooth, 1024x600 10.2'' wide.

Well, the best little thing I buy in years. The battery is eternal if u know how to use it. I get 5:00 while browsing, IM, read/edit a document. As for gaming U coudn't properly run second life but I may try CS 1.6 just now.
The screen brightness is great for every enviroment you could actually use a notebook and is great at night even at low levels. I run it with 2gb ram and TinyXP Platinum and It works like a champ.

I think the Eee1000 series is the perfect match between the smallest / actually usable notebook yet. The keyboard is great and u'll get used to it in a couple days but don't expect to see a caps or numlock led couse there isn't any. Overall build is great as always with Asus.

Still didn't figure out how to undervolt it. Tried eeectl but it just causes instant crashes to any setting as it was designed for 701 I think. And the RMclock still don't do Atom...a shame.

I'll try CS tomorrow but I know you can even play Crysis with StreamMyGame (www.streammygame.com)

Yeah, knowing how to use it helps... I managed to raise my battery life from 5 to about 6-7 hours with my 901 after trying a different WinXP nLite with better drivers.

Notebook runs smooth, I can watch GameTrailers.com HD videos through Firefox without a hiccup, largest PDF I tried was 20mb and it runs smooth as well.

In terms of gaming, you can probably make it run anything below CS 1.6, WC3, and Q3 but don't expect high resolutions and constant > 30fps. With those games, you're already pushing the little bugger to the limit.
You can find a few videos of people gaming on the Eee on Video Google (and friends). Here's an example with the 901 and CS 1.6:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4BmgFQIxIc
Although it seems to run smooth at that res, you'll probably have to avoid smoke grenades and maps more complex than snow and iceworld. ;)

Personally I think the 8.9"Eee 901 seems like a more efficient balance to me ;)
First time the smaller keyboard was a bit weird, but now I type just as fast as on my G15 keyboard.

SoulsCollective
11-13-2008, 10:01 PM
At CollectiveLAN, we try and run a DOTA match...with everyone on Eee's. Great fun, an Eee can hack DOTA just fine, even those with the 700MHz celery sticks.

GMX
11-18-2008, 12:23 AM
ended up with a Toshiba L300 S2008

1GB
15.4"
965 Chipset :shakes:
T2390 (i think) the DC one @ 1.86ghz
160Gb HDD

it has sufficient features, probably would've liked wireless N.
6 cell battery gives it only 3.5-4 hours battery max.:(

I don't mind it, we got it mainly because the Toshiba's were cheaper of the 15.4" laptops although I had some dodgy things about reliability. They also have a cashback on at the moment.

First time I've messed around with Vista, at times it's very different and in other cases very similar.

luie
11-18-2008, 03:57 PM
congrats. :)

Loser777
11-18-2008, 07:00 PM
I was going to recommend of the N10Js... but too late... 2GB of RAM and Geforce 9300M for only $679...

GMX
11-19-2008, 01:30 AM
I was going to recommend of the N10Js... but too late... 2GB of RAM and Geforce 9300M for only $679...

hmm that actually goes more than what we paid. It would be better if I was the only one using it, but my old man really needs the bigger screen more than anything else.

Klarko
11-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Well the wind can self overclock itself 22% so if its a little weak you can jack it up haha