PDA

View Full Version : New setup, any good? Can I water cool later?

GeorgeStorm
10-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi,
I am building a computer for a friend, here is the setup:
CPU: e8400
Motherboard: Biostar i45 HP
GPU: Sapphire 4850
RAM: 2gb Patriot PC8500
PSU: Corsair HX620
HDD: WD Caviar Green 500GB
Case Antec 1200?
Not sure of the CPU cooler....
There are a couple of things I would like to know, one being whether the PSU is a good choice, and whether it would be powerful enough to run that setup, and also a water cooling loop? (CPU only loop)
Also, the case, a good choice? If i might add water cooling loop later, or should I go for the gigabyte Aurora 3D, or the Thermaltake Armor?

Thanks

hellcamino
10-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Looks good on all counts and a cpu only loop would be fine with that PSU, +1 to the Antec 1200 and +2 to the Gigabyte Aurora.

BreeSpree
10-29-2008, 01:59 PM
The PSU will support a 12 volt pump which is all you need for a CPU only loop. If the watercooling is still a "maybe" sort of thing, and those are your only case options, you should just buy the Antec 1200. If your open to other options, the Cosmos S is a fairly cheap case, and you could mount a MCR320, for a cheap, yet very effective CPU only loop, without modding.

GeorgeStorm
10-29-2008, 03:33 PM
HI,
Ill go for the 1200 then, good to know about the corsair,
I know this is the liquid cooling section however, what would you reccomend for a cheap air HSF until he goes water?
Althoguh he may never go water, so I would like it to be able to handle a moderate overclock....
Thanks

BreeSpree
10-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Depends on what you consider cheap. You can't beat a TRUE in terms of performance for the money. It is quite large though, make sure it fits in the case, but if it's only a temporary solution, I guess it doesn't matter because you can just leave the side panel off. If he never decides to go water, the airflow of the 1200 + a TRUE will have borderline performance similar to water.

Link on where to get it.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/thulhecpucos.html

Here's an insanely large one.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/thifexhecpuc.html

Both will work, and you can even overclock on it. Make sure to get some nice fans for it though. Try some Scythe S-Flex or some San Ace fans. The fans are what's expensive, but the models just listed are definitely worth it.

hellcamino
10-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Another good hs for a bit less http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185027, that should be fine with it's stock fan to a minimum of 4ghz with an e8400. The stock fan is low rpm and very quiet too. I used one on my old Q6600 for 3.6ghz no problem and an e6700 @ 3.5ghz with very good temps 35/55.

GeorgeStorm
10-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Hi,
I live in the UK, and so I wouldnt buy from those sites, what do you guys think about the Freezer Xtreme? I have read a couple of reviews, and it seems ok, the good thing is i can get it from a website which doesnt charge £8 for delivery, outherwise I would go for the IFX 14, but its already £35, and add £8 delivery (roughly) its a little too much for my liking.
Although, if you know of anywhere cheaper, (for the IFX 14,) then please tell me
Im now looking at the Xigmatek-S1283, as i can get it for £28, including delivery, and it seems to give performance nearing that of the IFX-14, (for which I would have to buy another fan) so i would be saving almost £15, is it as good as some reviews say?
Thanks