PDA

View Full Version : Tapping the XSPC res top

BDW88
10-28-2008, 07:14 PM
anybody try tapping it for G1/4???

I was gonna try and tap it on the side so i can mount the bitspower temp probe on the side, the probe is to short if i mount it from the fillport on the top with the adapter. what do you guys think should i take a risk and tap it or mount the probe somewhere else inline?

T_Flight
10-29-2008, 03:56 AM
drill it in soapy water using stages of sizes to the correct tap drill

tap turn in 1/2 turns then back a quarter turn a till 7 threads are showing on tap

This man knows how to use a Tap. If you try to skip the part about backing out 1/4 of a turn you might hear a little click...that will be the plastic cracking. :yepp:

BDW88
10-29-2008, 04:34 AM
wow thanks for the tip!

b@llz0r
10-29-2008, 05:38 AM
if this is your first attempt at tapping id recomend you do a few trial taps on something inexpensive.... your first few are always crap

IanY
10-29-2008, 05:40 AM
Why would you bother tapping?

There is an adapter that converts it to G-1/4 thus saving you the hassle.

b@llz0r
10-29-2008, 05:43 AM
I was gonna try and tap it on the side so i can mount the bitspower temp probe on the side, the probe is to short if i mount it from the fillport on the top with the adapter

:welcome:

Eddie3dfx
10-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Why would you bother tapping?

There is an adapter that converts it to G-1/4 thus saving you the hassle.

Read this post before you do it.
I've tried tapping acrylic and sometimes it's great and sometimes I've fudged it up.
Better get the adapter..

IanY
10-29-2008, 05:51 AM
Perhaps you didn't know about the adapter.... its so cheap too....

cian1500ww
10-29-2008, 05:53 AM
What size of a thread is on that ?

Eddie3dfx
10-29-2008, 05:56 AM
http://www.jab-tech.com/XSPC-M20x1.5mm-to-G1-4-fillcap-adapter-pr-4205.html

http://www.jab-tech.com/product_images/thumbnails/t_4205.jpg

XSPC M20x1.5mm to G1/4" fillcap adapter

b@llz0r
10-29-2008, 06:24 AM
guys... he is tapping the side of the res for a temp sensor............

IanY
10-29-2008, 08:10 AM
It'll be safer playing with plastic explosives. :)

I don't make it a habit to put the gun to my crotch and pulling the trigger in order to find out whether a round is chambered. :)

There are better ways to find out water temperature. :)

b@llz0r
10-29-2008, 08:15 AM
cmon its not that hard.... you just get one shot at it

luxbel
10-29-2008, 09:21 AM
IMHO, you have 4 choices:

a) use the 7 buck adapter, fill the res to the top and make sure the coolant is always touching the sensor

b) tap the res on the side, hope for the best, but if you screw up, don't blame us and you're out 40 bucks.

c) get a 180 pass-thru, hook it up to your loop somewhere in the process, if you're really a monitoring freak then you put on from pump-to-rad and one from blocks-to-reservoir on the return. for example, use a dual G1/4 fitting, a 180 connected to that, the temp probe on the vertical port and the barb on the other side of the 180. Most flexible option, and I'm guessing the reservoir could take the weight of that on the top return port as well.

d) use a different rad and get the XSPC top only, most expensive option, but there are plenty of reservoirs out there that have more than a pair of ports.

shabranigdo
10-29-2008, 10:06 AM
I have found drilling and tapping plexi to be not too hard. Go slow don't apply alot of pressure on the drill. I also find silicon spray good to cool the bit and for the tapping. Other than that suggestions above on tapping are great.

Xilikon
10-29-2008, 10:09 AM
IMHO, you have 4 choices:

a) use the 7 buck adapter, fill the res to the top and make sure the coolant is always touching the sensor

b) tap the res on the side, hope for the best, but if you screw up, don't blame us and you're out 40 bucks.

c) get a 180 pass-thru, hook it up to your loop somewhere in the process, if you're really a monitoring freak then you put on from pump-to-rad and one from blocks-to-reservoir on the return. for example, use a dual G1/4 fitting, a 180 connected to that, the temp probe on the vertical port and the barb on the other side of the 180. Most flexible option, and I'm guessing the reservoir could take the weight of that on the top return port as well.

d) use a different rad and get the XSPC top only, most expensive option, but there are plenty of reservoirs out there that have more than a pair of ports.

e) don't bother about the temp sensor :up:

YugenM
10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
It'll be safer playing with plastic explosives. :)

I don't make it a habit to put the gun to my crotch and pulling the trigger in order to find out whether a round is chambered. :)

There are better ways to find out water temperature. :)

What kind of roulette would that be?

BDW88
10-29-2008, 10:12 PM
yeah think i'll just leave it connected to the top with the adapter and keep refilling when the water drops.

now what to do with that 1/4 tap i just bought from mcmaster...

Waterlogged
10-29-2008, 10:17 PM
yeah think i'll just leave it connected to the top with the adapter and keep refilling when the water drops.

Keep it, I'm sure you'll find it useful somewhere down the road. ;)

shabranigdo
10-29-2008, 11:02 PM

Buy a bar of delrin and make some elbow and T connectors :p: