PDA

View Full Version : S754 Mobile CPU in a DFI LP250UT

FatRakoon
10-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Ok, not quite extreme, but here it is anyway...

I am sorting out some older kit as of late, and one of my favourite setups was my Newcastle 3000 in the DFI LanParty UT 250GB Motherboard... The Socket 754 one that is, NF3 Job.

Now, I loved this setup, its the one and only DFI I have ever had and I was able to get thick clocks out of it. I normally ran it at 2.4 as this is the exact same speed as the Prescott 660 @ 3.6

Now, here is my problem...

A short while back, I got hold of a Mobile ClawHammer 3700, I kind of left it i na safe place ready for when I dug out the DFI Board and well, time went by and I forgot about them, but just the other day I was sorting through some mobo crates and I saw the DFI board, remembered the CPU and I have thrown them back together again and built up a full setup with some other older stuff

This is the current setup :-

DFI LP250UT
NewCastle 3000 @ Stock ( 2.0Ghz & 512K Cache ) ( FX55 cooler )
2 x 512MB Corsair XMS 4400 TwinX
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro ( Ice Cooling )
VideoLogic Sonic Fury Audio Card & DB50XG Card
40GB Maxtor ( IDE )
Sony DVD ( IDE )

Now, here is my real problem...

If I use the Mobile CPU in it, I just cannot get it to run right at all

If I clear the BIOS and run it as-is, it runs at 800Mhz, and sure, this is fine... Now, it will get to the desktop and it will stay there for good... I can do some basic things too , but as soon as I try to get it to do some work, it switches off.

Its rated to run at 2400Mhz, so, if I force it to that, then it either poos its pants as soon as it tried to startup from the HD, or if it gets to the desktop, as soon as that appears.

Its as if it wont run at the 2400 ?

Now, ok, Im trying out 2.2 too! - and this is no different?

Volts etc are all catered for, as I said, I have used this very same Board to get the Newcastle up to 2.9 ( 2.8 Rock solid stable if a tad warm ) so I think I know how to clock it, but this Mobile CPU simply does not want to know?

Can anyone offer me any clues because its getting on my pip. ( PIP? )

Like I said with the Newcastle, I can throw it to anything and its flawless but this thing wont go over the 800Mhz without turning the PC off.

I would much prefer the extra cache I think than a clocked CPU.

Ket
10-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Have you checked things like CPU and NB voltage? Made sure the BIOS properly supports the mobile chip?

STEvil
10-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Did you make sure the heatsink is contacting the CPU correctly? Because there is no IHS your heatsink may be loose or only touching one side.....