PDA

View Full Version : OC'ing an E8500 on XFX780i (Lengthy Noob Post)

Flappy
10-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Anyone have any good nForce 780i-centric advice or linkage for this particular combo? I've gone from a 570 sli with 5600+ OC'd to 3.1 to this setup and I must confess I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the different BIOS variables compared to what I was able to get by with to get an OC on the 5600. I just purchased the following:
Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 w/5 120mm case fans
XFX 780i tri-SLI
OCZ SLI RAM in the 2X2Gb Sticks at 800DDR2 OC'able to 1066 (with some
timing and voltage adjustments) ( On Order from the egg)
Wolfdale 8500
Zalman 9700 CNPS9700 LED Cooler
Antec Tri-Cool set at 100% (79 CFM,30db!) in place of stock 120
exhaust to provide negative pressure in the case
Stuff from AMD build being used again:
2X WD 500 SATAII
2X evga 8800 GTS 640 SSC w/112 pixel pipelines and AC Accelero Coolers
(Non-Oc'd by me from 576 and 1900 clocks)
2 of 4 1Gb Sticks of Patriot 6400 to get the "SLI Enabled" to come up
in the BIOS (What I'm currently running) wouldn't enable the SLI stuff
for memory to be on in BIOS with more than 3 sticks (?)
1 LG Combo Blu-Ray and HD-DVD Player and DVD Burner
1 Phillips DVD Burner
1 Antec Trio 650 Power Supply (SLI Ready)

My initial reaction to this rig as it is is that it's loads more responsive (given it's 6mb of L2 Cache), but I REALLY would like to see a 4.0 Ghz clock to see a bit more performance in the games that I run as they are almost all with the exception of FSX and Bioshock not really dependant on Multi-Core anyway.
I probably could've gotten a better combo too but since the Finance Officer (My Wife) was feeling generous the other day in regards to the Fry's ads I felt that the time was right to strike while the iron was hot so to speak. She even pointed out the new case so as I was using an old Antec SX835 I could'nt help but say OK,.... Thank You?!?
I didn't really like the MSI 750 that came with the processor as it had loads of problems just getting it to post let alone getting windoze installed and no matter how much I played around with the CELL menu I couldn't get it to make any sense to a poor old addled old guy like myself except for the memory timings.
At any rate, sorry for the long first post and if anyone has anything to suggest I'll be watching this post in addition to doing a little "trial and error" myself as the only way to DO something is to do it.....

HaCKs
10-28-2008, 03:09 PM
very very easy on a 780I

Just turn the FSB up, unlink your memory and set that at whatever you want, and you can make an easy 4ghz out of the E8500

Flappy
10-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks Man! Been reading up a bit lately but have'nt OC'd in depth since the P4 Days.