PDA

View Full Version : Time to upgrade...?

big poppa pump
10-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Howdy,

About time I finally decided to upgrade from my current Socket 939 setup to a C2D. I will be getting a C2D E8500 along with a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P in the next couple of days. I will be sticking with my current video card(s), at least for now.
I am not sure if I need to rebuild my CPU loop. I am currently using the Storm Rev 2 on my naked Opty 165. Here's my question, will the storm suffice for the E8500 or do I need to get another CPU block for the E8500. If so, which one will you recommend?

Thanks for your input.

BPP!;)

Bojamijams
10-28-2008, 08:23 AM
The storm will DO but not do great.. if you're on a tight budget, keep it.. if you got little money, look for a Fuzion V1 used somewhere... othewise, for options it depends

1) if you're not going for high overclocking, get the OCZ waterblock (Hydroflow or something)

2) if you're going for high overclocking and want as little restriction as possible, get the Fusion V2

3) if you're going for high overclocking, want to be able to fit 3/4OD compression fittings or don't care as much about flow, get the Apogee GTZ

4) if you're going for a CPU Only loop or CPU + NB only, and want the ultimate cooling, get the EK Supreme.

century child
10-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Are you doing a CPU only loop? Which rad and pump are you planning to use? Budget?