PDA

View Full Version : Waterblock discoloration?

shoopdawoopa
10-26-2008, 06:05 PM
So I put on some danger den blocks to my 280s last night and now they seem to be rusting already where I touched them! :( Anyone know what I can do to cover up or stop/get rid of the marks and get these blocks back to their coppery goodness?:up:

simwah
10-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Thats a tarnish not rust.

shoopdawoopa
10-26-2008, 06:19 PM
OK so what do i Do?

T_Flight
10-26-2008, 06:22 PM
:D Yeah, copper doesn't rust. Be careful about using the term rust around here. You shouldn't have anything in your loop that rusts.

With copper the trick is not to touch it. Gloves are your freind. Now that the loop is assembled, I'd leave it until you disassemble it next time for cleaning. Then catch it all at one time.

It's the acids and oils in your skin that cause it to start up.

You can clean surfaces with copper polish, but I wouldn;t get it in the passageways or the block faces. Just the exterior part.

There's a hundred didfferent methods for cleaning the block faces, and passageways. Those are all over this forum in different threads.

aspire.comptech
10-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Ketchup.

Put some on the affected areas, let sit 10 minutes, no more, then rinse off, should be sparkly new.

T_Flight
10-26-2008, 06:55 PM
thanks AC...duh, I forgot the other part.

Ketchup, Vinegar and Water, and some polishes for the exterior part. If you really wanna get fancy, you could polish it with a dremel tool and buffing wheel and then come back and polish it out by hand to get the microfuine marks out.

I would wait until you disassemble though so it'll all match. If you do just spots, you'll have really shiny spots where you cleaned with slightly less shiny everywhere else. Copper will tarnish even in the air some. Even a day will change the color.

MomijiTMO
10-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Well I wouldn't worry about it. Air oxidation is always going to happen over time. You can greatly delay this by applying some oil to form a layer.

nikhsub1
10-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Tarn-X = best stuff ever.