PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling my RainMaker system...

virtualrain
10-25-2008, 12:32 AM
What do you guys think?

Classified Ad...

*EDITed* by IFMU

Build Log...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=176797

:toast:

First link pulled. Advertising outside the classifieds is not allowed. While that may have not been your intention, it is what it is. All I am going to do is pull the link to the classifieds.

MomijiTMO
10-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Well . . .. I don't think there is much of a chance of getting anything above 5K or if that is too high in the first place. There are a lot of special mods so I wish you the best in attracting a buyer. It just sucks that pc equipment depreciates to nothing in a year. The hardware raid controller is a huge plus :)

p8ntslinger676
10-25-2008, 01:01 AM
Your best bet for getting that much for it is ebay, and local classified ads because the majority of ppl here do that stuff already and arent looking to buy old hardware for that kind of premium.

mstrmold
10-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Agreed. Water gear especially. I can understand that because it really is a crap shoot that you hope the guy you are buying from knew how to take care of his loop(s). No question the OP does going over his excellent build log, but for the most part PC components and custom builds depreciate the second you take them out of the package.

hellcamino
10-25-2008, 01:29 AM
A work of art, truly a masterful build...I would have a hard time parting with it for so little.

BlueAqua
10-25-2008, 06:03 AM
It's really a great system. I could see somebody that wants a really nice build but doesn't have the time to do it be very interested. I would certainly recommend it.

Eddie3dfx
10-25-2008, 06:04 AM
That build should belong in a museum. :up:

I am not sure why you want to sell it.
With what you see selling for 8-10k, this thing should be worth 20k just on the build alone.

fox3
10-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Very impressive build :up:. I would love to see your next work of art.

You could work on my rigs anytime.

RADCOM
10-25-2008, 06:48 AM
I'd try and sell as a show-piece to one of the parts manufacturers......EVGA would be a prime candidate as they make the mboard.
"Hmmmm... Didn't know we could advertise our ForSale threads in the Liquid Cooling Forum..." ..well now ya do :P

BlueAqua
10-25-2008, 06:54 AM
I think this one is special. It is probably the most favorite build ever on XS. The build log for it is very well done and has a special place amongst many members.

MomijiTMO
10-25-2008, 06:57 AM
While I get what RRR points out, I think this was more of a "Hey should I try to sell this?"

Anyhoo ebay or no.

virtualrain
10-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably try ebay after I give it a chance here. It really is hard to put a value on something like this. I would guess I invested about 20-30 hours per week for about 4 or 5 months. That puts the hours invested at around 400-700 hrs. Anyway, PM me if you have any interest.

hoax
10-25-2008, 06:18 PM
heh I was wondering just a few days ago if you had ever used that logo.. turned out really sleek looking!

been ages since I seen your worklog, it truly is incredible.

hope it doesn't take long for you to find a lucky bastard that wants to own this beauty :toast:

shazza
10-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Wish I would have seen this before I started my second MM build. I truly admire virtualrain's build, and I don't have the time to do mine up right. Darn! :(

systemviper
10-25-2008, 06:53 PM
that is so sweet, wow, why not just upgrade the internals, you have the works done to perfection, just upgrade the engine.
but alas, i know that creativity must take another direction. With this creation done, where is the next spark of genius! :up:

stangracin2
10-25-2008, 09:19 PM
use it as a htpc make sure to use long cables so you can use it as a footrest or something lol

Lagaaja
10-26-2008, 04:30 AM
This build was one of the main reasons why I joined the lines of XS. Great people and xtreme rigs:up:

Ebay or nothing. It's a piece of art like said, and has a lot of potential value in it, regardless the hardware inside.

LogAn'sRun
10-26-2008, 04:51 AM
I agree with a lot that's been said here already - that build truly inspired me.

I think you best bet is EBAY.

Boogerlad
10-26-2008, 05:48 AM
i wouldn't sell it. It's too nice. There is a limitless value, because you put your time into it.

LinusTech
10-26-2008, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I love this build, but you'd be amazed how little people are willing to pay for craftsmanship on computers. They're reduced to the bare value of the parts the minute they're "second hand", and then worthless as soon as a new generation comes out. :(

b@llz0r
10-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Definitely worth more than the sum of its parts... gl with the sale mate

Are you planning another build?

IanY
10-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or in case, the purchaser. The book value of a Van Gogh may be the replacement cost of a canvas and some oil paint.. About $50? The market value may be $120 million.

Don't be shocked if the Ebay receptiveness is less than desired, especially given global economic conditions.

virtualrain
10-26-2008, 10:56 PM
that is so sweet, wow, why not just upgrade the internals, you have the works done to perfection, just upgrade the engine.
but alas, i know that creativity must take another direction. With this creation done, where is the next spark of genius! :up:

Sadly, I really have no use for a high-end PC anymore which is why I'm selling it, otherwise, I would do exactly as you say.

The other thing is, once you do a project like this and realize how much effort it takes and how much it costs, I doubt there's few who would repeat the whole thing.

Anyway, hopefully this is an opportunity for someone to same themselves a lot of time and money.

Eddy.Jones
10-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Awesome work and presentation.. the finish is beyond words!:clap:

if i wasn't saving for a house I would buy that.. my slacknes to build my on would suit your desire to part with it.
I agree what was said earlier though.. ebay is full of people looking for a bargain, I don't think you will get its worth there.
I think make many advertisements on forums, youtube, myspace and find some serious people with real appreciation.

twwen2
10-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Like others have said, this is one of, if not the premier build on XS. Only Charles_h's MurderBox comes close in my opinion.

You'll never get anything near what it's worth, only you will ever know how much time and effort went into that magnificent creation. If i were you i'd be mighty attatched to that piece of art, and wouldn't let it outa my sight!:yepp:

Having said that, if it ends up on ebay i'll keep an eye on it! :p:

virtualrain
10-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I doubt I will go the ebay route. I'll keep it listed on XS for a while and see.