Riggs
10-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Pentax K200D.

Nate P.
10-23-2008, 05:53 PM
And I just have to ask... why a Pentax?

Riggs
10-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Well, I'm going to get some old 70-300 lenses from a friend, who recommended this . Its weather proof, and takes AA's vs a battery pack. Anti-Shake in the body works good too. :) I shot the D40, and didn't like it as much as this, or the canon rebel. It was going to be between this and the canon 40D at the end, and I thought that the 40D was overkill for me, so, I bought this. :) Is pentax bad or something?

brightwindow
10-23-2008, 07:01 PM
That's a beautful dog...

Nate P.
10-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Riggs;3378812']Well, I'm going to get some old 70-300 lenses from a friend, who recommended this . Its weather proof, and takes AA's vs a battery pack. Anti-Shake in the body works good too. :) I shot the D40, and didn't like it as much as this, or the canon rebel. It was going to be between this and the canon 40D at the end, and I thought that the 40D was overkill for me, so, I bought this. :) Is pentax bad or something?
Pentax isn't bad, but there are definetly better choices. Pentax's lens selection is really lacking compared to Canon's or Nikon's, for one. Also, there is generally better RAW support for Canon and Nikon RAW. The list goes on and on.

But if you are happy with it, thats all that matters.

YugenM
10-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Pentax isn't bad, but there are definetly better choices. Pentax's lens selection is really lacking compared to Canon's or Nikon's, for one. Also, there is generally better RAW support for Canon and Nikon RAW. The list goes on and on.

:up:

Magnj
10-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Don't listen to the haters, Pentax represent. I have an IST DL and I love it. Lot's of old lenses to play with, cheap, well built...

Nate P.
10-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Don't listen to the haters, Pentax represent. I have an IST DL and I love it. Lot's of old lenses to play with, cheap, well built...
Who's hating?

eva2000
10-26-2008, 06:15 PM
yeah what's wrong with Pentax... got a K200D as well

so welcome to the club :)

YugenM
10-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Who's hating?

Nobody, but at least half of the Pentax users I've come across are violently defensive of their brand choice

Nate P.
10-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Nobody, but at least half of the Pentax users I've come across are violently defensive of their brand choice
Yeah, I can see that...:shrug:

YugenM
10-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I can see that...:shrug:

From lurking on Internet forums:

Canon users: screw Nikon
Nikon users: screw Canon
Pentax: screw everybody else
Leica: I do say, we most definitely are of higher status than the primitive SLR heathens.

Nate P.
10-26-2008, 08:49 PM

Leica: I do say, we most definitely are of higher status than the primitive SLR heathens.
Pretty much sums it up.

Sony users: What's up guys?
Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc.: F off!

:rofl:

smee
10-26-2008, 09:52 PM

Pretty much sums it up.

Sony users: What's up guys?
Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc.: F off!

:rofl:

AHAHAHAHAHA :rofl::ROTF:

Magnj
10-27-2008, 10:49 AM

While not outright mean it's not really helpful in relation to the OP. The lens selection is fine for everyone I've met and Lightroom supports Pentax RAW :shrug:

Whatever, enjoy your camera.

aspire.comptech
10-27-2008, 12:48 PM
I shoot with a K100D.

For the price I paid for it when it came out it was a bargain.

I'd love to upgrade to the K200 though...

Anyways, they are great cameras, check out www.batteryspace.com for a great deal on rechargeable AA batteries. You can get NiMH for like 1.49 apiece. My set lasted me about a year and change before starting to lose their charge.

Anyways, word of advice, pick up the 50mm F/1.4 lens. It's a truly awesome piece of glass.

MaxxxRacer
10-27-2008, 03:15 PM
On a side note: Adobe Camera RAW and Lightrom do not handle Nikon RAW files correctly. If you want the correct color reproduction and CA removal (in D60 D90 D300 D700 and D3) you will have to use Capture NX which requires a supercomputer to run smoothly.

Magnj
10-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Yea, rechargeables are your friend...eneloop apparently make great ones.
I have an old S mount 50mm f1.4 and man it's nice for the $20 I paid for it lol.

MaxxxRacer
10-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Yea, rechargeables are your friend...eneloop apparently make great ones.
I have an old S mount 50mm f1.4 and man it's nice for the $20 I paid for it lol.

Sanyo makes Eneloops.

Riggs
10-27-2008, 06:43 PM
I'll look around, do retailers like wal mart carry them?

Magnj
10-28-2008, 03:47 AM
Riggs;3387711']I'll look around, do retailers like wal mart carry them?

I've seen them in BB I think.

aspire.comptech
10-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Ugh, forget those, they are just wayy to expensive.

Retailers charge like 30 bucks for a set of 4 and charger. Whereas I got a dozen of the Powerizer ones with a 4 hours charger for the same price.

You really can't beat www.batteryspace.com for bang for buck performance.

MaxxxRacer
10-30-2008, 08:50 AM

Retailers charge like 30 bucks for a set of 4 and charger. Whereas I got a dozen of the Powerizer ones with a 4 hours charger for the same price.

Just buy them online. they are way cheaper online

Dave_Sz
11-22-2008, 07:46 PM

Which lenses are we missing exactly? Sounds like you're one of those people that read things online and regurgitate it everywhere you can.

If you had to put up with nikon and canon people bashing you everywhere you go, of course you would be defensive. If even 20% of the time the bashers knew what they were talking about, then maybe it wouldn't be so annoying. I'm walking around shooting, I don't need to hear how much better you think your camera is...

Nate P.
11-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Which lenses are we missing exactly? Sounds like you're one of those people that read things online and regurgitate it everywhere you can.
Are you saying you don't read anything online?

Whichever brand you choose is fine. As long as you are happy with your purchase. I'm not saying your camera is bad, but maybe I'm questioning why you would choose Pentax over a more prominent brand such as Canon or Nikon. (Again, not bashing. I want to make this very clear.)

Also, does Pentax have a 70-200mm f/2.8? I didn't think they did, please correct me if I am wrong.

Dave_Sz
11-22-2008, 08:14 PM
I shoot with a K100D.

For the price I paid for it when it came out it was a bargain.

I'd love to upgrade to the K200 though...

Anyways, they are great cameras, check out www.batteryspace.com for a great deal on rechargeable AA batteries. You can get NiMH for like 1.49 apiece. My set lasted me about a year and change before starting to lose their charge.

Anyways, word of advice, pick up the 50mm F/1.4 lens. It's a truly awesome piece of glass.

I'd pick the older k10d over the k200d. Similar 10mp sensors, not the same. K10d has more features and more dials/buttons than the k200. K200 is just ur updated k100...

Why would you compare Powerizer to Eneloop when they aren't even the same type of battery? Eneloop are hybrids and from what I could find powerizers are just normal run of the mill exaggerated specs batteries. Eneloops and other hybrids will keep more charge much longer when just sitting around while normal batteries lose a lot of their charge within days. That's why they cost more...

Are you saying you don't read anything online?

Whichever brand you choose is fine. As long as you are happy with your purchase. I'm not saying your camera is bad, but maybe I'm questioning why you would choose Pentax over a more prominent brand such as Canon or Nikon. (Again, not bashing. I want to make this very clear.)

Also, does Pentax have a 70-200mm f/2.8? I didn't think they did, please correct me if I am wrong.

There's a 80-200 2.8, there's the tamron 70-200 2.8. Are you going to google a bunch of lenses and just point to what pentax doesn't have?

Nate P.
11-22-2008, 08:20 PM
There's a 80-200 2.8, there's the tamron 70-200 2.8. Are you going to google a bunch of lenses and just point to what pentax doesn't have?
No, I just Googled the 70-200 because it's a fairly common focal length.

Dave_Sz
11-22-2008, 08:23 PM
meh. Everyone has same focal lengths. Pentax seems to be fond of their weird numbered primes that I can't afford. As far as I can say, the only pentax short coming is no FF camera but for me, and 80% of photogs, that isn't even a big deal...

Nate P.
11-22-2008, 08:26 PM
meh. Everyone has same focal lengths. Pentax seems to be fond of their weird numbered primes that I can't afford. As far as I can say, the only pentax short coming is no FF camera but for me, and 80% of photogs, that isn't even a big deal...
Very true, I don't think I'll be going full frame for a while...

ANP !!!
11-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Very sweet dog, nice pics.

YugenM
11-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Very true, I don't think I'll be going full frame for a while...

5D2! 5D2! 5D2!

Nate P.
11-22-2008, 10:44 PM
5D2! 5D2! 5D2!
Expensive! Expensive! Expensive!

YugenM
11-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Expensive! Expensive! Expensive!

Not when you start buying them Lenses!

You guys have all the cool lenses :shakes:

Kosior
11-23-2008, 10:18 AM
When someone asks on polish pentax forum which dslr would be the best as the first one we usually recommend the superior Nikon d40 ;p

Refering to your discussion about different brands of dslrs - I do own the Pentax k10d dslr and I do know that it has a lot of disadvatages. The p-ttl doesn't work, it is inaccurate, so is the autofocus. AF is slow also. We also doesn't have any lens like Nikon 17-55/2.8. I know there is the 16-50/2.8 which is a clone of the Tokina version, but it's slower af and it's a lot worse wide open.

And do you know what? I'm swapping k10d for d300 ;p

Dave_Sz
11-23-2008, 06:04 PM
When someone asks on polish pentax forum which dslr would be the best as the first one we usually recommend the superior Nikon d40 ;p

Refering to your discussion about different brands of dslrs - I do own the Pentax k10d dslr and I do know that it has a lot of disadvatages. The p-ttl doesn't work, it is inaccurate, so is the autofocus. AF is slow also. We also doesn't have any lens like Nikon 17-55/2.8. I know there is the 16-50/2.8 which is a clone of the Tokina version, but it's slower af and it's a lot worse wide open.

And do you know what? I'm swapping k10d for d300 ;p

Scrap whatever I had written, I'll just laugh at everything you wrote...

Nate P.
11-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Scrap whatever I had written, I'll just laugh at everything you wrote...
Maybe a better idea is to add something constructive?

Dave_Sz
11-23-2008, 07:55 PM
I had some constructive things to say in there. But lets be honest, I'd just get called a fanboi. Why argue with someone who thinks a d40 is superior to anything but a very good point and shoot? Also making a $1200 17-55 lens a deal breaker, when he himself probably can't afford it, and even comparing it to a lens that costs 30% less. The p-ttl thing, lie, slow af, in some situations yes, but canon and nikon people can't say their cameras have perfect af either...

Nate P.
11-23-2008, 08:06 PM
I had some constructive things to say in there. But lets be honest, I'd just get called a fanboi. Why argue with someone who thinks a d40 is superior to anything but a very good point and shoot? Also making a $1200 17-55 lens a deal breaker, when he himself probably can't afford it, and even comparing it to a lens that costs 30% less. The p-ttl thing, lie, slow af, in some situations yes, but canon and nikon people can't say their cameras have perfect af either...
Fair enough. Does Pentax have a pro-level body?

Dave_Sz
11-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Pro level? As far as I'm concerned, PRO=FF, so in that respect nope. As I said before a FF body is not even a concern. How many people can fork over $3-5k for the current canikon bodies?
The k20d and the k10d would be the closets to "pro" they have and there are some using them professionally.

YugenM
11-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Fair enough. Does Pentax have a pro-level body?

K1000. Full metal body, full frame, bulletproof shutter

Pro level? As far as I'm concerned, PRO=FF, so in that respect nope. As I said before a FF body is not even a concern. How many people can fork over $3-5k for the current canikon bodies?
The k20d and the k10d would be the closets to "pro" they have and there are some using them professionally.

I guess the D2 and 1D series aren't pro-level bodies then :rolleyes:

Dave_Sz
11-24-2008, 11:45 AM
K1000. Full metal body, full frame, bulletproof shutter

I guess the D2 and 1D series aren't pro-level bodies then :rolleyes:

k1000 is an old film SLR, I's pretty sure he was asking about digital.

The 1d and d2 cost how much? :rolleyes:

YugenM
11-24-2008, 12:24 PM
k1000 is an old film SLR, I's pretty sure he was asking about digital.

The 1d and d2 cost how much? :rolleyes:

The K1000 thing was supposed to be a joke, but I guess that didn't translate well to you :rolleyes:

D2H can be found for less than $600

1D Mark 3 for somewhere north of $4000, older versions, way less.

xguntherc
11-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Anger people.

everyone has there own opinion, and there own things they like and dislike. :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:ing at each other about who's camera is better, or why one is and one isn't wont help out much. All he was saying was what lens to get, and saying check it out. I got a new Camera. Why all the anger and hate here. Common now. lol. I just don't understand.

If he likes the camera, than who gives a damn what everyone else thinks. you like what you got. and thats all that matters. LOL. I enjoy my D40 and I don't care what others say about I shoulda got a Cannon or whatever. p.s. the Nikon D700 is a sweeeet camera. anyone use one. I've been able to use this guys a few times. great camera. I wish I could afford it. :)

Kosior
11-26-2008, 07:52 AM
I've had no idea that someone could interpret my statement this way and I didn't want to pique anybody.

Also making a $1200 17-55 lens a deal breaker, when he himself probably can't afford it, and even comparing it to a lens that costs 30% less. The p-ttl thing, lie, slow af, in some situations yes, but canon and nikon people can't say their cameras have perfect af either...

Of course Nikon's AF isn't perfect, but it is way better then Pentax's. I'm getting the d300 with 17-55 just becouse they have some features which might be extremely useful in type of photography I do....

MaxxxRacer
11-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Yugen and Dave, stop the flaming. if it continues someone is going on vacation.

Anemic
12-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Sweet looking picturs! Love the dog! Get out of the house and take some more great pictures! :D

aztec
12-19-2008, 08:45 AM

You didn't mention Olympus fans. What are we, the ugly step-chillun or something? HUH????

;)

Kosior
12-23-2008, 06:19 AM
What are we, the ugly step-chillun or something? HUH????

;)

We didn't want to say that :rofl:

Just kidding ;p

aztec
12-23-2008, 07:47 AM
:rotf:

Hey, I don't mind. The last time I went nuts with photog equipment was when I bought my ex a big assed Canon zoom lens (one with Image Stabilizer). Cost $500. at the time. But photo is her hobby, not mine. :p

robbicfc
12-29-2008, 05:50 AM
Congrats on you purchase... Hope you have great fun with it. I got myself a K20D a few weeks back and i'm seriously happy with it.
One thing that seems to be overlooked an awful lot is that the Pentax forums generally talk about photos and how they took them, not my lens is better than yours or your camera is only a prosumer and I have a full on pro jobbie :shakes:.
If you are learning about photography or even just vaguely interested then you will find that they are the nicest and calmest of the lot. :yepp:
Another thing is that Pentax have made roughly 24million lenses over the years, they will all work with your new camera and they are all stabilised as well :D

As I said before, congrats, enjoy it, learn from it and take some pictures...

N19h7m4r3
01-04-2009, 05:51 AM

What about Olympus users? Seem to always be excluded :(

Nice photos with the beautiful doggy :D

Soulburner
01-04-2009, 06:13 AM

Hmm I don't agree with this. The forum I visit has a mutual respect between the Canon and Nikon camps, with people regularly recommending the opposing brand if it fits someone's needs better. There are very very few (if any) that have a loyal bias, and that's how it should be.

If you use a D300 you shouldn't be recommending a D300 to everyone. You know why you needed it, but you should also know why someone else looking to buy a camera may not and may be better suited to a Rebel XSi based on their needs, budget, and experience holding and using different brands. Not many recommend Pentax or other brands simply due to (and don't jump on me for this, it's true) the compromise you make in features, autofocus, image quality, ISO ability, ergonomics, control, speed and lens selection. I'm not saying they don't make good cameras, but they aren't in the same league and if they were, you would see more pros using them.

Magnj
01-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Get a Screw mount - K mount adapter and go buy some primes on ebay...there is a lot of fun to be had there.

aztec
01-04-2009, 09:05 PM
My point is that brand loyalty is silly. Buy whatever brand/model is the best choice for you at the time in the price range you can afford.

:doh:

Nate P.
01-04-2009, 09:13 PM
My point is that brand loyalty is silly. Buy whatever brand/model is the best choice for you at the time in the price range you can afford.
Very much agreed; but looking towards the future is important as well. Personally, I see a dead end with the Pentax system, mostly because of the lack of full frame bodies and less selection than either the Nikon or Canon systems when it comes to lenses.

SNiiPE_DoGG
01-04-2009, 09:22 PM
On a side note: Adobe Camera RAW and Lightrom do not handle Nikon RAW files correctly. If you want the correct color reproduction and CA removal (in D60 D90 D300 D700 and D3) you will have to use Capture NX which requires a supercomputer to run smoothly.

And thus why we use cannon exclusively in our studio ;)

aztec
01-04-2009, 09:24 PM
^^ Understood, but it's still not a matter of one brand or the other is the "best". I'm sure if you had different criteria, Pentax would be fine, or Olympus, Minolta, whatever.

SNiiPE_DoGG
01-04-2009, 09:30 PM
^^ Understood, but it's still not a matter of one brand or the other. I'm sure if you had different criteria, Pentax would be fine, or Olympus, Minolta, whatever.

yeah, my point was that in our studio we have less brand loyalty and more brand avoidance.

It's really all about the other equipment, lens's, etc. that you have and what works best for you as a photographer. If you cant use something you have right or if it doesn't work well with your other equipment it goes in the trash.

eva2000
01-04-2009, 09:32 PM
to each his own, my #1 criteria is price and K200D and 7 lens and gear cost me AUD$4000-4400, to get equivalent Nikon/Canon lens would at least cost me an extra AUD$4500-6500 :eek:

My 7 lens is all I need for everything I do... so even if Nikon/Canon had greater selection - I doubt me or anyone here would be buying every lens they had to offer heh.

You can keep arguing all you want, but for most folks it does come down to price.

Dave_Sz
01-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Very much agreed; but looking towards the future is important as well. Personally, I see a dead end with the Pentax system, mostly because of the lack of full frame bodies and less selection than either the Nikon or Canon systems when it comes to lenses.
I picked pentax because of the better lens selection. As for FF, true...

Soulburner
01-05-2009, 03:08 AM
I missed this. This is not true anymore. Look into Adobe Camera Profiles. I use Lightroom 2 and I can reproduce my D300 shots with a Neutral Profile (the only one that handles color and shadow/highlight detail properly IMO) with very good accuracy. My shots look great, forget about CNX.