PDA

View Full Version : Maxing out the nForce!

septimus
07-29-2002, 06:19 PM
Well, I've got an MSI K7N420 Pro, and on stock speeds get this sort of score with 3DMark2001SE: Link (http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4074558)

Now, I'm sure the score I have is low for the Ti500, so I am looking throught my BIOS for some performance enhanching features but can't seem to gain any ground. Any suggestions from other nForce users?

TIA :D

sysfailur
07-30-2002, 03:16 PM
I have one. The board just plain sucks for overclocking. It's so random that it changes my multiplier.... yet the board doesn't let you change it! Explain that one to me :P Don't mean to sound like a grumpy gus, but this board is not overclocker friendly.

EDIT: I can tell you though that you better have your ram in Slot 1 and 3, or your performance will be pewp. Slot 1 and 3 is key.

Digital-EX
07-30-2002, 04:46 PM
Hey sysfailur , mine board does the same thing when it boots up. It sets the multiplier lower for some reason. It justed starting doing this. I have a XP1800+. I have to hit reset button to get it to recognize the correct multi. How do you fix this problem? I have overclocked nor unlocked the cpu. WTF?

DDTUNG
07-30-2002, 04:57 PM
I've Vmodded the Abit N7V133 nForce board and it is now with JBELL who will do a review. Look out for the article.:D

DDTUNG:cool:

septimus
07-30-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by DDTUNG
I've Vmodded the Abit N7V133 nForce board and it is now with JBELL who will do a review. Look out for the article.:D

Very interesting DD ;)

About the multiplier thing with the nForce. I had this problem once, popping the CMOS battery out for an extended period of time seemed to resolve this. Actually, what I experienced was the BIOS would ignore any changes I made to the multi and would be stuck at 10x. FSB would also be stuck at 100MHz. All other settings would actually respond normally. Weird stuff for sure :) Oh, and using the CMOS clearing jumper would also not fix this.

IFMU
07-30-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by DDTUNG

Lucky lil S.O.B.:stick:

:D

sysfailur
07-30-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Digital-EX
Hey sysfailur , mine board does the same thing when it boots up. It sets the multiplier lower for some reason. It justed starting doing this. I have a XP1800+. I have to hit reset button to get it to recognize the correct multi. How do you fix this problem? I have overclocked nor unlocked the cpu. WTF?

Well I don't really fix it. The first time it happened I had oc'ed my duron 1ghz from 100x10 to 111x10 (or so I thought) and it booted @ 111x11. So I was like.... errr cool! Cus it was stable @ 1.23ghz I decided to leave it there. I then fiddled w/ it later and found out that @ only 111mhz I had the problem. @ 114mhz nothing happened but I couldn't go to 133, that was too high.

I never really fixed it. It just does what it wants. Also I have a question for anyone who has this wacky board. On the top left by the CPU socket (the top left of the socket) there is a red jumper. The function of this jumper is NOT in the instruction manual, and when you boot w/ it changed to the other option (not default jumper setup) it gives out a CRAYZ ASS BEEP! I got scared and thought I blew something up so I just set it back to normal and everything worked.

JBELL
07-30-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by IFMU

Lucky lil S.O.B.:stick:

:D

really?
lets see
koolance case - fallen apart!
amd 1800+ - fried!
gef3 vid card - dead
psu - dead

all trying to review board!

IFMU
07-30-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by JBELL

really?
lets see
amd 1800+ - fried!
gef3 vid card - dead
psu - dead

See, shouldda given it to me.... LoL

sysfailur
07-30-2002, 09:49 PM

really?
lets see
amd 1800+ - fried!
gef3 vid card - dead
psu - dead

Pfft... amateur! :smileysex

septimus
07-30-2002, 10:13 PM
JBELL: Are you saying that the board is the culprit? Or was it the PSU landing on your GF3 after the case fell apart?

sysfailur: Which mobo are you referring to, the MSI or the Asus or...?

JBELL
07-30-2002, 11:34 PM
no koolance is the culprit - absolute CR@P!!!!
havent gotten the board into POST yet

...becuase of koolance and their generic sub-standard garbage.

I have pics here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2021)

JBELL
07-30-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by sysfailur

Pfft... amateur! :smileysex

'cuse me? :stick:

sysfailur
07-31-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by septimus
JBELL: Are you saying that the board is the culprit? Or was it the PSU landing on your GF3 after the case fell apart?

sysfailur: Which mobo are you referring to, the MSI or the Asus or...?

MSI 420 board.

sysfailur
07-31-2002, 09:34 AM

'cuse me? :stick:

I was joking -_-;;

JBELL
07-31-2002, 09:35 AM
I miss both my asus a7n266 boards!! they were not the best overclockers but then again they didn't NEED to be.... rock solid quality!!

septimus
07-31-2002, 12:36 PM
sysfailur: That jumper is the keyboard wake-up jumper. To enable this function, you need a power supply that provides enough power for this feature. (Power Supply with 750mA 5V Standby)

Obviously, its a non-issue as to the usefulness of this jumper.

Also, about the slots the RAM is placed in... as of BIOS v2.4 from MSI all banks can be filled without penalty to RAM bandwidth. There is a new BIOS v2.6 but I have no idea what it is supposed to fix.