PDA

View Full Version : Adding a fan to the NB made the system more unstable(?!)

GamerBR
10-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Here is the situation,I was getting 415 on the FSB,the system would lockup,reboot or fail while using prime95 with something higher.So I decided to try adding a fan to the NB to see if that would give any improvement,after adding the fan I couldn't get anything above 410 on the FSB,then I tried just turning it off(letting it exact the same place it was)and now I'm being able again to use prime95 with a 415 FSB.Any idea why that could be happening?:eek:

FYI,the system is a ECS P45T-A with an E8500.

crotale
10-22-2008, 09:42 PM
I don't think this is the right section.

But can you try using another FAN header? Another Fan? Different placement of the FAN?
Some ideas...

GamerBR
10-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Well,there is not a common overclocking section,only here is mentioned overclock in the description:p: .I'm using an adaptor to connect it directly to the power supply,I can't see how the fan itself would be causing instability,only if it had a short,I will measure the power comsuption to see if this the issue

GamerBR
10-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Looks like changing the position did it,I just can't see the reason though,the fan was not touching any components besides the NB heatsink,maybe the way it was vibrating cause some sort of instability over the NB:shrug:
I did measure the power comsumption and while pluging the fan in and out it didn't increase the power by any significant amount.

STEvil
10-22-2008, 10:20 PM
could be RF or EMI causing issues.

crotale
10-22-2008, 11:40 PM
could be RF or EMI causing issues.
My guess aswell.

Try to ground the heatsink just to see what happens.

[XC] Oj101
10-23-2008, 12:08 AM
OT: Grounding heatsinks? Wasn't that supposed to improve overclocks back in the days of the AthlonXP? :rotf:

B.E.E.F.
10-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Wasn't that supposed to improve overclocks back in the days of the AthlonXP? :rotf:

If it works. :D

Does it?

GamerBR
10-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Ok,after several other tests changing the placement of the fan didn't resolve the issue,I then tried to ground the heatsink,no luck.So I've just removed it and I will left it without a fan:shakes: